myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sunday Hatchery rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to bolt & fork failure, there's the possible disastrous "hourglass failure". Yes indeed, I had one of these lovely experiences sailing alone overpowered at The Wall in 3.2 conditions a few years ago.... it happened this time of year in outrageous STRONG current, I was on the outside (Oregon side) doing airtime off some massive swell when my sail suddenly decided to fly away.

Solution: Check to see if there's any cracks in your hourglass Exclamation
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a stainless slug break once, hard to attach the rig. Bad.
Had a bolt from the uni to the slug break also, but I tied the uni to the slug with my uphaul, but it was hard to slide under the slug, taking a long time.
Sailed in once with my mast track ripped off the board, poly glass board. Just reinstalled it, and sailed in carefully at Crissy.
Even slogged back to the beach at Crissy after my board broke in half across the area between the mast track and the front footstraps. Lost the tail, because I was holding onto the sail, and sailed in nose pointing back for some drag.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the money I spend on this sport another $60-$70 once or twice a year to make sure I don't have to put a hole in my deck or ditch my rig is well worth it.

http://www.windance.com/Chinook-2-Bolt-Upper-Tendon-EU-WSBE3012TDEP/
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Euro Tendon Uppers. Use em for years and never had a problem. I always do a visual inspection, but on appearance they look fine.
Anyone had issues with these? thoughts as to when to replace? maybe it's a better design - I dunno.
I like the "prevention" idea.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"euro tendon uppers"... what is that exactly?
I've seen plenty of charcoal gray colored Streamline style tendons break this past year, and have seen several bolts holding them to the plastic parts break in half. NP had a problem with them last year.
Nothing is foolproof. Buying new stuff helps some, but new parts break all the time. Just like masts, booms, fins, and new boards. A badly tempered batch can have stainless parts breaking in no time.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
"euro tendon uppers"... what is that exactly?
I've seen plenty of charcoal gray colored Streamline style tendons break this past year, and have seen several bolts holding them to the plastic parts break in half.

Lee, my Streamlined tendons are coral (orange-ish) colored. Are the grey ones an older version?

BTW: I bought the Streamlined single bolt twist-on unis for wave use, thinking they are the most rugged ones, and also they have a centrally located bolt (I think Chinooks had asymmetric bolt for the twist on US cup model until recently??). Anyway, the single bolt attachment to mast track has been recommended because supposedly a board flexes better with single bolt attachment when getting worked in big surf, rather than having the track flex constrained by two bolts. Less chance of track damage or broken board.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streamlined are orange.
OP said his is NOT Streamlined, so it's charcoal gray, Euro, and used on NP baes among other's.
I've seen dozens of Streamlined, and gray tendons crack and break, DOZENS, in the past 4 years. MORE than rubber uni joints, and rubber joints are used by more of the windsurfer's than the tendons.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...interesting. So in my attempt to save the mast track I may lose the whole board Shocked I have always checked my hourglass joints for cracks. I guess with tendons they just fail without any visual warning? Hmm.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had and seen MANY top-of-the-line rubber/synthetic hourglasses snap in their first session ... but they're still all I use.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:

I've seen plenty of charcoal gray colored Streamline style tendons break this past year,

I wonder about all pieces that are subject to oxidation and/or UV degradation. With the obvious downturn in windsurfing demand in USA, how many tendons or hourglass joints are currently aging in inventory? I wonder about the lifespan of unused joints and the inventory policies of the remaining windsurf parts companies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: