myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HARNESS LINE LENGTH and SEAT Harnesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable lines for cruising sails regardless of the harness type-it would be terrible to sail long reaches and be uncomfortable all the time.
Fixed lines for maneuver sails in b&j/wave environments-you sail unhooked half of the time anyway and fixed lines hold the shape better which is helpful for the constant hooking/unhooking action.

IMG_1554.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Viewed:  13427 Time(s)

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  787.45 KB
 Viewed:  13427 Time(s)

IMG_0361.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Fixed lines for maneuver sails in b&j/wave environments-you sail unhooked half of the time anyway ... constant hooking/unhooking action.

Even that is a personal choice. Certain maneuvers require unhooking, but most B&J and a lot of recreational wave sailing can be done hooked in. It's an acquired skill motivated by the desire to outlast the wind and preserve forearm tendons.

Just one more example of the importance of preferences.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@adywind:

I noticed the Ion mast pads in both your photos. I have some as well, but find they tend to try flip off of the mast at the bottom fairly regularly (all RDMs). I did add some webbing to the top to make them easier to put on.

Flipping off at bottom happens particularly when one might grab them (occasionally) in a transition, or in the surf (small surf). Am trying not to grab ever as a result.

What's your experience been? Any mods or tips? TIA
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:
@adywind:

I noticed the Ion mast pads in both your photos. I have some as well, but find they tend to try flip off of the mast at the bottom fairly regularly (all RDMs). I did add some webbing to the top to make them easier to put on.

Flipping off at bottom happens particularly when one might grab them (occasionally) in a transition, or in the surf (small surf). Am trying not to grab ever as a result.

What's your experience been? Any mods or tips? TIA

Same thing. It happens occasionally , but I had a positive experience exactly because of that when in the surf I have been able to grab the loose end and pull the kit back to me in the last moment before being separated irreversibly. Its a very little price to pay for protecting your board, looks good and I wouldn't trade it for anything else currently available. How is that for an idea-glueing velcro patches on the sails and on the protector's unsecured end?
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where & what you sail can significantly determine what the "ideal" stance should look like. A figure 7 or figure 6. More food for thought on your harness line length.

Coachg
sl55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at what Peter Hart is preaching. Useful and entertaining as always.

https://issuu.com/arcwindltdpublishing/docs/harty319sept

Seat harnesses are also quite different regarding hook position. Some have really low hook, some have it pretty close to what properly positioned waist harness has.
Also some people like high boom position, some like it low. It also depends on the conditions. I use adjustable lines around 32 inches, and I am 6'4".
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

complicating it all is some factories measure to include boom wrapping materials, and others don't.

np fixed lines 34" are perfect for me. meanwhile chinook, epic, dakine are 2 inches too short.

i may have to revert to homemade....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5' 10", seat AND waist with 22" lines, booms mostly 54" from bottom of aluminum mast base, and track around 143 cm's from tail of slalom boards, 138cm's for wave boards.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my formula my boom was quite high. Not sure I could slog near the mast track hooked in like I do on wave boards.

Anyway, somewhere around 30-32" lines. Now I'm on 32" lines using a waist but with an average to low boom (shoulder-pecs). I'm 5'8" with long arms and short legs, ha ha !

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what board you are using. As others mentioned, boards and their respective uses tend to dictate harness line length.

For example, sailing a racing longboard upwind usually requires the longest harness line length of all because of the geometry of the process. Likewise, sailing FW downwind also requires very long lines in order to keep control of the rig.

5'6" 172 lb. 33" lines when racing using seat harness. 28" when shortboarding using waist harness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: