myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board type
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: board type Reply with quote

I posted on this forum a few years ago asking for suggestions for a new board. Since then I've updated my sails a bit and have a better idea of what I want out of a board.

It's very difficult for me to go somewhere to demo a board. I'm 65kg, sailing since i was 17.y current location is mostly flat water with some chop and small rolling swell. Looking to replace an old seatrend accelerator (105l, 55cm wide). This board is fast but very hard for me to gybe. I want a new board that is easy to gybe, and easier to slog/uphaul than my seatrend, which is very tippy. I used to be able to uphaul a 78 L wave board but I can't for the life of me even stand on my Accelerator. I want to be able to slog out to a windline, or slog back in if the wind dies. I dont want to do any freestyle or racing. Early planing, fun and time on water are most important. Probably use with sails 4.5 to 6.5. Would love to plane as close to 12 knots as possible. When the wind goes above 20knots I can still use the Seatrend.

I'm guessing that a freeride board with a width in the range of 66cm to 70cm would be appropriate but that still leaves a wide range of choices from 105 L to 125 L. When I read board specs I often see that boards recommended for sails 4.5 to 7.0 are something like 65cm wide and 100L-ish, which makes me wonder how different that will be for me compared to my current board.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross 114

does everything you want it to do.

if you can plane with a 6.5 sail in 12 knots, even at your weight, wow.

see link below for exocet

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
shmish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't expect to plane at 12 kts. 14 maybe? I'm also going to try and swap out my 6.5 retro for a 6.0 and 7.0 retro.

thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.0 and 7.0 are mighty closely spaced with any sails, let alone a Retro. Sounds like sail size dilemmas waiting to happen, even though we don't know what your other sail sizes are. 5.5 to 7.0 was an easy gap for me long before I could jibe, and those weren't even Retros.
shmish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4.1, 4.6 and 5.0 revo (got them together used for all three for $150, so I'm not worried about the spacing). Then I have an older Sailworks Syncro 5.3 and then the Retro 6.5.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shmish wrote:
Yeah, I don't expect to plane at 12 kts. 14 maybe? I'm also going to try and swap out my 6.5 retro for a 6.0 and 7.0 retro.

thanks

You could probably go 6.0 and 7.5.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shmish wrote:
I have a 4.1, 4.6 and 5.0 revo (got them together used for all three for $150, so I'm not worried about the spacing). Then I have an older Sailworks Syncro 5.3 and then the Retro 6.5.

My concerns include the cost, the space in your van, The Agony of Picking the Perfect Sail Size, and the even worse Agony of Re-rigging for Nothing as wind speeds come and go. Don't forget that it's the percentage, not the sq meters, that counts in gaps. .
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou Rocket 115...Tabou Rocket wide...Exocet cross. Almost ant freeride board in the 115 range...I ride a Tabou 3s 106 from 4.7 to 6.5. Smooth fast and easy...
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to muddy the waters but you did say 66-70 cm wide & be able to plane as close to 12 knts as possible and you said mostly flat water.
Flat water will allow you to get by with a bigger board than normal and if down the road you decide to try foiling then the Fanatic Blast 130 could be an option. The board is 70 cm wide & the fin box is foil ready.

Coachg
jam-1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are located, but I have a large demo fleet of boards in my shop and encourage folks to try before you buy. I carry the full board lineups from Simmer, Goya, and Quatro...pretty sure I've got you covered. Feel free to reach out to me, we can definitely chat more. If you are local to the SF Bay Area, we will be hosting a demo day at 3rd avenue on Saturday, along with a BBQ.

James

http://www.facebook.com/vansurfsports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: