myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
alternate foil ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/5yLW9

I call this a mini foil. It’s not on the bottom of the the fin, as I felt it likely to ground, and get damaged. Epoxy, s glass, using 2sections of carbon batten , through the fin, into the end of the wing .

Angle of attack is 1degree to the extend possible.

Back to back with traditional,fin setup twice. This performed better at 15 mph and less, traditional fin better with higher.

No issue with any characteristics using the mini foil, turns ,everything was fairly normal, until higher wind, then it felt draggy. The rear did not raise, it did feel freeer from the water surface, the nose did not sink.
Might be that the area needs to be spot on, along with the other installation options.
I need to clean up the joint area, I will try again this spring. I don’t think this is something I will dwell on.

That's cool U2, nice job!!
Yeah, I don't know if these well ultimately work for many people or not. I was just saying that is what the designer's of these new mini-foils were saying.
And that if the "right design" can be figured out... they could help you get planing in less wind, or big guys could get planing in the same marginal wind that mid weights plane in.
And they wouldn't be for higher wind, say over 20, cause everyone planes then no matter what.

U2, you said, "The rear did not raise, it did feel freeer from the water surface, the nose did not sink."
So actually it sounds like the rear of the board... and the whole board, raised a bit. Of course, not raised up in the air. But raised up higher in the water. The same thing all boards do as the speed increases. And when they're raised enough that only the bottom of the board is touching the water, then, you're "planing". And with that, you get that "free-er feeling".
I think that's the only goal of these things... and if they can be made to work for the masses, to be used in wind between 5 and 20 mph... then I think it would be awesome.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your freeer discussion, is well put in the way it felt.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Light-wind-extra-lift-fin-project-MK-1?page=1

I’m sure Joe has seen this, others may find the mini foil concept interesting.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pic of Karen Baxter mother of Connor ,sailing a foil like yours in 1982 at an event. It had too much lift in back so they fitted a similar foil on the front. It worked in limited wind range fairly well.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these posts are a few years old. I notice mixed opinions on the minifoils., but now we are in 2021 and I wonder if there have been design improvements on them. Any fresh ideas/comments?

All I am interested in, also given my limited budget, is to plane, forget about coughing up $ 1500 for a foil running the board 1 m or so above the water.

Wouldn't a minifoil really help? For one thing, if people can plane their boards on regular fins, I don't see why these minifoils shouldn't give additional lift to plane in light winds, with two large wings they have on the mast..Or may be I am wrong.
I weigh 90 kg and I just bought a Bic Tahe Techno WF 160 l. board.

Thanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful idea, except I spend very little time at fast slog to slow plane speeds.
And foiling is kinda fun.
skonoplev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
All I am interested in, also given my limited budget, is to plane, forget about coughing up $ 1500 for a foil running the board 1 m or so above the water.

I have just started foiling, but it is not just "running above the water". Foiling gives you 3-dimentional feeling in contrast to 2-dimentional planning. The difference between foiling and planning is even bigger than the difference between planning and slogging.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 vote for actual foiling.

-1 vote for goofy mini-foil fins.

It's pretty straightforward to pop an affordable slingshot or neil pryde foil into whatever old, deep tuttle box board you have lying around and teach yourself in a few sessions. When you realize you can foil effortlessly with a 6 m sail in conditions where you would have been struggling with a 9 m sail you may never look back. The amazing upwind angles, the maneuverability, the smoothness... It's not an exaggeration to say that foiling is a revolutionary improvement over the usual light wind windsurfing struggle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: