myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:
Because Texas is proud of its lack of regulation, builders often put pipes in exterior walls. oops...Now thousands of houses are worthless.

Worthless? At least they are still standing and will be repaired, but not a pile of ashes like many in Calif. Yes, those in Calif will be rebuilt too.

Every state has it's issues.

That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...

Yep. CA is a great place. I lived there in the eighties and used to ski and sail my Hobie on the same weekend. Of course, even my 40 MPG Honda Accord still put down a pretty big carbon footprint to accomplish that!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pacific no, but I can MTB , windsurf, and ski on the same weekend.
in fact, I can ski early in the day, and windsurf in the late afternoon on
same day, and have done so. Probably could have mountain biked
into the evening if my body would tolerate it.

Utah is not bad either.

-Craig

p.s. my other home in the PNW has that same potential.
I am one blessed person!

boggsman1 wrote:

That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Carolina has the best barbecue I've ever tasted--if you're with a native. But it's more than a bit creepy. Less so than South Carolina.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Utah for sure ... where are pulling off all three disciplines in the same weekend ?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I love Utah for sure ... where are pulling off all three disciplines in the same weekend ?

I skied Created Butte in the AM and windsurfed 5 M in the afternoon on the way home. Also, skied Hood in the AM and hit an evening session at Celilo. Hmmm. One day I climbed and skied a 13,000 ft peak then kayaked a stretch of river and did a bike shuttle.

There are lots of great places when you make the best of whereever you are. Especially, if one is wealthy enough to enjoy what is available...
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, done it only once. Windsurfing a warm late February morning in Newport RI, night skied a very shitty, muddy, slushy and crappy Waschusett outside Boston. Most fun day! In chicago I get my kicks outside playing platform tennis all winter. It’s very social with leagues, warming huts and craft beer. There is a massive 300 ft vertical (maybe 250) ski hill I hit every now and then with a fantastic skier friend who coaches racing. It’s still a loads of fun to be out. Need to get on a plane to Colorado for the real deal. Direct flights to Steamboat make it pretty simple. Home is home wherever you live.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:
Because Texas is proud of its lack of regulation, builders often put pipes in exterior walls. oops...Now thousands of houses are worthless.

Worthless? At least they are still standing and will be repaired, but not a pile of ashes like many in Calif. Yes, those in Calif will be rebuilt too.

Not true - From the Raleigh area, it's 3.5 hrs to skiing and 3 hrs to windsurfing (but in the opposite direction - 13 hrs total driving spending the night at home). Not a great weekend considering the driving, but doable. No doubt that Calif is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation - it was heaven growing up there - then the masses discovered the place.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...

99.9% of California residents have neither the time, the resources, nor the inclination to do that. That's why most give greater priority to affordability than to weekend trips they will never take. You and Marie-Antoinette, however.............
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:

Not true - From the Raleigh area, it's 3.5 hrs to skiing and 3 hrs to windsurfing (but in the opposite direction - 13 hrs total driving spending the night at home). Not a great weekend considering the driving, but doable. No doubt that Calif is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation - it was heaven growing up there - then the masses discovered the place.

Techno...if you call that skiing, then I give you props!!! Not comparable
World class windsurfing-30 minutes
World class skiing -3 hours
World class MTB riding- 0 minutes
No where in this country is that doable other than NorCal..
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...

99.9% of California residents have neither the time, the resources, nor the inclination to do that. That's why most give greater priority to affordability than to weekend trips they will never take. You and Marie-Antoinette, however.............

Wrong. But the man who owns two houses and drives between them calls the kettle black...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 134 of 205

Jump to: