myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
coboardhead



Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 4036

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:
Because Texas is proud of its lack of regulation, builders often put pipes in exterior walls. oops...Now thousands of houses are worthless.

Worthless? At least they are still standing and will be repaired, but not a pile of ashes like many in Calif. Yes, those in Calif will be rebuilt too.

Every state has it's issues.



That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...


Not true - From the Raleigh area, it's 3.5 hrs to skiing and 3 hrs to windsurfing (but in the opposite direction - 13 hrs total driving spending the night at home). Not a great weekend considering the driving, but doable. No doubt that Calif is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation - it was heaven growing up there - then the masses discovered the place.


Techno...if you call that skiing, then I give you props!!! Not comparable
World class windsurfing-30 minutes
World class skiing -3 hours
World class MTB riding- 0 minutes
No where in this country is that doable other than NorCal..


World class traffic-0 minutes

I interviewed for a job in San Fran in 1981. So, I decided to make a ski trip out of it. Drive to Tahoe on a Sat AM. Left my friends house in Oakland at 5:00 to hit the chair at 9:00. Barely made it. The trip back was hell. I declined the offer. Skiing was just too important to me and the cluster f$$k and high housing costs made the Bay Area a no go.

Its an awesome place for the wealthy...thatís true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 8591
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct...Tahoe drives can be a nightmare. To the point that I'd consider moving. I've considered Cottonwood Heights, UT...but I couldn't handle the politics. Colorado is a candidate too, but my wife cant hack the winters. Oregon is a candidate but the skiing is lame, and winters are depressing. So, I deal with the traffic, and frenetic d-bag lift lines. Covid has cleaned out the traffic a lot, and I hope work-from -home makes its more permanent..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
isobars



Joined: 12 Dec 1999
Posts: 20131

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVED Utah! It was not difficult, conditions permitting, to dirt bike and/or go 4-wheeling in what I consider the best conditions in the country, ski Utah powder for $10 a day, snowmobile the incredible Wasatch front, catch some bass a mile from home and the office, WS in 30 kt winds and nice swell, and more if so inclined, all in one weekend. It was easy to do one or two of those after work most weekdays, again, conditions permitting. Those were manageable, but if I also hunted, or mountain biked, or ran without chasing a ball, or took advantage of any of Utah's many other offerings, I wouldn't have had time to eat or sleep, let alone go to the office.

Lots (probably too many by now) of danged nice people, too.

cgoudie1 wrote:


Utah is not bad either.

-Craig

p.s. my other home in the PNW has that same potential.
I am one blessed person!

boggsman1 wrote:


That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J64TWB



Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve thought about this a lot. The grass problem. No good solutions. Summers in the Rockies are off the charts. Winters mean ski towns, good for what they are but then I would want to be in Bonaire or on a sailboat for a good chunk of the cold. Summers in Northwoods Wisconsin and Michigan have long days and crystal clear waters. If you are on Lake Michigan its magical. A real treasure unknown to most. Tucson, awesomely for hiking a few weeks in the winter but no thanks rest of the year.

Solution, have a home base anywhere and VRBO. Itís really a question of mountains vs. water. Chesapeake bay could be interesting to own a boat, but East Coast has lots of traffic as well and Summer's are scorching. OBX, fun for a while, great weather except for hurricanes, but I am sure would get old. Most decisions would probably revolve around community and family.

Boggs has it good, CB has it good. San Juan Islands might be an option but cold foggy water. Hood river? Grass is always greener.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 8591
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64.. The Gorge almost has it. Almost. Short-ish drive to great skiing. Very good MTB riding. Obviously off the charts windsurfing. BUT, and its a big BUT.. The winters suck. freezing rain, gray skys for months...no good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 8591
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:
Because Texas is proud of its lack of regulation, builders often put pipes in exterior walls. oops...Now thousands of houses are worthless.

Worthless? At least they are still standing and will be repaired, but not a pile of ashes like many in Calif. Yes, those in Calif will be rebuilt too.

Every state has it's issues.



That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...


Not true - From the Raleigh area, it's 3.5 hrs to skiing and 3 hrs to windsurfing (but in the opposite direction - 13 hrs total driving spending the night at home). Not a great weekend considering the driving, but doable. No doubt that Calif is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation - it was heaven growing up there - then the masses discovered the place.


Techno...if you call that skiing, then I give you props!!! Not comparable
World class windsurfing-30 minutes
World class skiing -3 hours
World class MTB riding- 0 minutes
No where in this country is that doable other than NorCal..


World class traffic-0 minutes

I interviewed for a job in San Fran in 1981. So, I decided to make a ski trip out of it. Drive to Tahoe on a Sat AM. Left my friends house in Oakland at 5:00 to hit the chair at 9:00. Barely made it. The trip back was hell. I declined the offer. Skiing was just too important to me and the cluster f$$k and high housing costs made the Bay Area a no go.

Its an awesome place for the wealthy...thatís true.


CB,,,whats the deal with the Silverton lift? Who gets access to it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coboardhead



Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 4036

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs said:
Quote:
Because Texas is proud of its lack of regulation, builders often put pipes in exterior walls. oops...Now thousands of houses are worthless.

Worthless? At least they are still standing and will be repaired, but not a pile of ashes like many in Calif. Yes, those in Calif will be rebuilt too.

Every state has it's issues.



That's right. But when its all said and done, I can MTB the Redwoods, windsurf in the Pacific, and rip the Sierra pow all in the same weekend(last weekend an example). Can't do that anywhere else in this great country...


Not true - From the Raleigh area, it's 3.5 hrs to skiing and 3 hrs to windsurfing (but in the opposite direction - 13 hrs total driving spending the night at home). Not a great weekend considering the driving, but doable. No doubt that Calif is a wonderful place for outdoor recreation - it was heaven growing up there - then the masses discovered the place.


Techno...if you call that skiing, then I give you props!!! Not comparable
World class windsurfing-30 minutes
World class skiing -3 hours
World class MTB riding- 0 minutes
No where in this country is that doable other than NorCal..


World class traffic-0 minutes

I interviewed for a job in San Fran in 1981. So, I decided to make a ski trip out of it. Drive to Tahoe on a Sat AM. Left my friends house in Oakland at 5:00 to hit the chair at 9:00. Barely made it. The trip back was hell. I declined the offer. Skiing was just too important to me and the cluster f$$k and high housing costs made the Bay Area a no go.

Its an awesome place for the wealthy...thatís true.


CB,,,whats the deal with the Silverton lift? Who gets access to it?


Honestly, I donít know. I have a season pass that is good for the 21 day spring unguided season starting in mid March. I understood the mountain may be closed to everyone but pass holders. I think the guided skiing is still open to anyone who can get a reservation. I donít do the guided skiing since I have passes that cover Purgatory, Telluride, Crested Butte, Snow Basin and Sun Valley this year (also Park City and the other Vail areas). With Covid limited skiing at a lot of areas I bought an Epic Pass to get a chance to reserve wherever the snow is.

The lines in Colorado are longer than normal on weekends since there is social distancing on the lifts. Early season at CB was a pain. But the upper extreme skiing is not bad. We finally have snow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 8591
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean is it accessible in general or is it a private deal ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coachg



Joined: 10 Sep 2000
Posts: 3065

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us that don't do snow there are far more options. Laughing

Coachg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coboardhead



Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 4036

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I mean is it accessible in general or is it a private deal ?


It is a public BLM area that is limited to guided skiing except for spring season pass holders. Pass sales are open to the public. Day tickets unguided may be a thing of the past though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 135 of 147

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group