myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the issues of providing more housing are much more complicated than Techno has any interest in examining. For just one example, in the hills above Berkeley, Richmond and Oakland, there is a very old road network and a present rising fire risk from climate change. There is at present no way to mandate enough vegetation removal, road improvement, or parking restrictions that can be implemented to safely evacuate the people that live there now. Adding new units would have a tiny impact on net housing availability, but increase public risk. It would also be in areas not well served by existing mass transit. I happen to think that government, when it becomes aware of a bad pattern of land use like these old areas, has a responsibility to try to protect the public.

Increasing density, both to reduce the carbon signature of new residents, and to accommodate new residents feasibly, is a very complicated issue. It requires cooperation between government and business, and often the education of the public. I think the proposal by Woodside--which used to be the funky home for hippies and artists--is silly. But whatever is done in Woodside won't affect the number of units built in the Bay area appreciably. Further, neither Techno nor his sources will admit that this represents a failure of the market system. One of the unresolved issues here is the impact of vacant units held speculatively on the overall supply and demand picture. Some have argued that there are 40,000 vacant units in San Francisco, and that the influence of the real estate industry on the tax code makes holding some of those units speculatively, rather than reducing the asking rent price and getting them occupied possible. Techno's BFF, fat Donny, promised us reform that would make that impossible--but created new subsidies.

Trolls rarely provide analysis, but try to trigger outrage. How sad.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Nice, but weak try to dodge nutty Senate Bill 9

Quote:
AG: Bay Area town not exempt from state housing law
By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: February 6, 2022 at 2:06 p.m. | UPDATED: February 6, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.

Attorney General Rob Bonta. (Doug Duran/Bay Area News Group File)
A Bay Area town’s plan to declare itself a mountain lion sanctuary as a way to avoid having to build affordable housing is against the law, the state attorney general said Sunday.

The wealthy Silicon Valley enclave of Woodside announced in a memorandum last week that it was exempt from a new state housing law that allows for duplex development on single-family lots because the entire town is habitat for endangered cougars.

Woodside’s declaration is a “deliberate and transparent attempt” to avoid complying with Senate Bill 9, which was enacted last year, Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a letter to officials in the town of 5,500 residents. SB 9 seeks to increase housing availability by allowing denser development.

https://www.marinij.com/2022/02/06/ag-california-town-not-exempt-from-state-housing-law/

What I posted was written by the property owner. Nothing unusual about some bias from him. It wasn't a story from the WSJ, just a reader's response to another article. There is probably more to the story, so maybe we will see how it plays out. Nevertheless, it seems that the CCC can do what it wants. A multimillion dollar fine seems nutty.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Techno, you will gladly support a scofflaw if he belongs to your tribe. The death of integrity on the right proceeds apace.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Techno, you will gladly support a scofflaw if he belongs to your tribe. The death of integrity on the right proceeds apace.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the complexities of building and developing in Calif. with the infinite number of regulations, a self-inflicted calamity. Actually, I can, my brother is an architect in San Diego, and he keeps me informed.

But, are you guys for or against SB 9? Probably for it as long as your next-door neighbor's lot doesn't become a low rent multifamily property. Then again, low rent doesn't exist in Calif. unless it's along the LA river.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been down this road Techno. Yes, we have more regulations, but the benefits of those regulation is healthier food, better health care and greater longevity than NC. Besides, it is not like NC hasn’t tried to put up it’s own regulations by trying to limit black voting rights.

And no, I have no problem with SB 9, why should I?

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, because of the Coastal Commission, and state and local governments that have built parks and roads, we can actually get to our beaches and go windsurfing. What a thought, go to a park. Require houses to survive an earthquake. Make sure the water is clean. Things the market doesn't provide.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by swchandler on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:14 pm; edited 6 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac posted the following:

"BY DAN WEIKEL
DEC. 9, 2016 3 AM PT
For decades, some Malibu property owners have made it hard for the public to reach public beaches.

On Thursday, the California Coastal Commission fined two of those property owners more than $5.1 million for denying surfers, sand castle builders, kite flyers, sun bathers, yoga enthusiasts and other beachgoers access to the sand that is theirs by state law.

In one of those decisions, the commission had battled for nine years with Dr. Warren M. Lent and his wife, Henny, before unanimously approving Thursday’s cease-and-desist order for the couple and fining them about $4.2 million for diverting a public easement to private use at an expensive oceanfront rental they own at Las Flores Beach.

Commissioners described the Lent case as “very egregious” and a “flagrant violation” of state law because the couple had long refused a commission request to remove an unauthorized gate, fence, stairway and deck that blocked an easement required by a coastal development permit issued to a previous owner. The fine was far more than the $950,000 recommended by the agency’s staff."

Given the truth missing from the WSJ article, do you still feel for Warren Lent? As a windsurfer, would you side with a guy like Lent when one of your favorite sailing locations was blocked and you were denied reasonable access?

Believe it or not, the CCC does have the interest of regular Californians in mind. Given free reign, rich folks like Lent would make it impossible to access the beach. Speaking for myself, I'm glad that he was stung hard and made an example of for the problems he has caused for years.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Yes...the oils are raging. The CEO's are thrilled, but the righty "clueless" politicians are not. I guess there's a sweet spot for domestic production and it sits around 8mm/bbls/day. So, hopefully no more "drill, drill, drill"

Biden, and the equally ignorant advisors who pull his strings, have made it clear that they want to destroy the oil and gas industry. His pick for Fed Supervisor wants to cut off financing to O&G. They actually believe that their chosen alternate sources, laughably known as "clean" energy, can replace hydrocarbons. The price increases over the past year are just a small taste of what is to come if the large reductions in exploration budgets hold. Europe is starting to understand how ludicrous, and dangerous, their "green" policies have become. Hopefully, we will catch up and get back to reality.

In the same vein, about four months ago, I posited that those less fortunate will be hurt by inflation. You told me I was panicking, that inflation is "transitory", not having big impact, and that I should "go back to my British Baking Shows". Inflation is now up to 7.5%. Perhaps the professional can provide an update for us clueless amateurs who have been wrong for a decade? Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 167 of 205

Jump to: