myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
My only "overweight of the inflation issue on Joe Biden's shoulders" (Yuck.....English please!) relates to his actions and rhetoric on oil and gas, which has undoubtedly contributed to rising O&G prices.

How terrible for buggywhip that Biden isn’t all in on cook the planet.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazards/sealevelrise/sealevelrise-tech-report.html
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the WSJ

Quote:
California’s Diversity Quota Defeat
A judge tosses the Golden State’s mandate for corporate boards.
By The Editorial Board April 3, 2022

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs into law a bill that establishes a task force to come up with recommendations on how to give reparations to Black Americans in Sacramento, Calif. in September of 2020.

Did California lawmakers consult a lawyer before passing a law that mandates diversity quotas for corporate boards? A state judge late Friday tossed the law on summary judgment, suggesting it was so obviously unconstitutional that it didn’t merit a full trial.

The 2020 law required public companies headquartered in California to include at least one board director who identifies as a racial or ethnic minority or as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender by the end of last year. Companies with five to eight board seats would have to include two “underrepresented” members by the end of this year.

The conservative legal outfit Judicial Watch sued, arguing the law violated the state Constitution’s equal protection clause by establishing explicit set-asides based on racial, ethnic or sexual preference. The law also flouts the U.S. Supreme Court’s Bakke precedent (1978), which struck down strict racial quotas in college admissions.

Democrats say the law is necessary to counter discrimination and advance social justice. Or as Gov. Gavin Newsom put it when signing the bill, “When we talk about racial justice, we talk about empowerment, we talk about power, we need to talk about seats at the table.” But the law wasn’t narrowly tailored to achieve this government interest.

State judge Terry Green didn’t explain his reasoning for enjoining the law, perhaps because it so clearly violates equal protection. Many colleges discreetly use racial preferences in admissions because quotas are prohibited, and this fall the Supreme Court will consider whether Harvard’s use of race discriminates against Asian-Americans.

Most businesses these days work hard to diversify their leadership, and most large public companies are meeting California’s quotas. But some smaller firms struggle to recruit such directors as large companies get the most qualified candidates.

Only 301 of the 716 public companies headquartered in California complied with the law last year, according to the Secretary of State. The others could be dunned $100,000. One-party Democratic states are increasingly resorting to government coercion to impose their social values, which is one more reason so many people and businesses are moving elsewhere.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One party red states are increasingly turning to government coercion to impose their values--which include controlling women and preventing anyone from teaching anything about slavery, government sponsored murder of Native American, and climate change.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900,

Am I wrong in thinking that you believe that President Biden was wrong, and ultimately discriminatory, in limiting his selection of a nominee for the Supreme Court to a black woman?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
techno900,

Am I wrong in thinking that you believe that President Biden was wrong, and ultimately discriminatory, in limiting his selection of a nominee for the Supreme Court to a black woman?

You would be correct. The best candidate will come from the largest pool of qualified candidates. Maybe Jackson is the best, but when you eliminate and won't consider 75% of the pool, the possibility of mistake is pretty strong.

For example, as I have mentioned before - Anyone that thinks VPOTUS Harris was a quality pick is an idiot. Biden is slow to learn. But on the other hand, maybe he is a genius, thinking that with Harris as VP, no one will try to impeach or remove him from office because no one would want Harris as President.

From a friend of mine:

Quote:
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers with at least 15 employees from discriminating in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. It also prohibits retaliation against persons who complain of discrimination or participate in an EEOC investigation. Everyone is protected from race and color discrimination Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, persons of more than one race, and all other persons, whatever their race, color, or ethnicity.

So, Biden requiring a black female to be selected to Supreme Court violated the rights of everyone not female and not black.
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
swchandler wrote:
techno900,

You would be correct. The best candidate will come from the largest pool of qualified candidates. Maybe Jackson is the best, but when you eliminate and won't consider 75% of the pool, the possibility of mistake is pretty strong.

For example, as I have mentioned before - Anyone that thinks VPOTUS Harris was a quality pick is an idiot. Biden is slow to learn. But on the other hand, maybe he is a genius, thinking that with Harris as VP, no one will try to impeach or remove him from office because no one would want Harris as President.

From a friend of mine:

Quote:
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers with at least 15 employees from discriminating in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. It also prohibits retaliation against persons who complain of discrimination or participate in an EEOC investigation. Everyone is protected from race and color discrimination Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, persons of more than one race, and all other persons, whatever their race, color, or ethnicity.

So, Biden requiring a black female to be selected to Supreme Court violated the rights of everyone not female and not black.

You, of course, were outraged when Trump cut out at least 50% of potential candidates?

“I will be putting forth a nominee next week. It will be a woman,” Trump said. “I think it should be a woman because I actually like women much more than men.” - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/20/trump-vows-to-nominate-a-woman-for-us-supreme-court-vacancy-within-a-week

You think ACB was the "most qualified" candidate? Please tell me more! LOL

Barrett has spent virtually all of her professional life in academia. Until President Trump nominated her to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in 2017, she had never been a judge, never worked in the government as a prosecutor, defense lawyer, solicitor general, or attorney general, or served as counsel to any legislative body—the usual professional channels that Supreme Court nominees tend to hail from. A graduate of Notre Dame law school, Barrett has almost no experience practicing law whatsoever—a hole in her resume so glaring that during her 7th Circuit confirmation hearing in 2017, Democratic members of the Senate Judiciary Committee were dismayed that she couldn’t recall more than three cases she’d worked on during her brief two years in private practice. Nominees are asked to provide details on 10.

Barrett has never tried a case to verdict or argued an appeal in any court, nor has she ever performed any notable pro bono work, even during law school. The ABA’s code of professional responsibility says lawyers should aspire to provide 50 hours a year of free legal services, with an emphasis on serving the poor in recognition of the fact that “only lawyers have the special skills and knowledge needed to secure access to justice for low-income people.” Chief Justice John Roberts famously met some of these requirements by representing a mass murderer on Florida’s death row.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/10/amy-coney-barrett-is-the-least-experienced-supreme-court-nominee-in-30-years/

Do tell - What are the qualities that make a well qualified candidate for the Supreme Court?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republican or Democrat that discriminates by only considering a woman or a black candidate is making a mistake.

vientomas said:

Quote:
Do tell - What are the qualities that make a well qualified candidate for the Supreme Court?

Not my responsibility to determine the qualifications. Let's say that you have a pool of 50 potential candidates for the SC, but you will only consider 13 because they are black women. What are the chances that you selected the best one? Is Jackson the best? - maybe, but the chances are she is not.
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Republican or Democrat that discriminates by only considering a woman or a black candidate is making a mistake.

vientomas said:

Quote:

Not my responsibility to determine the qualifications. Let's say that you have a pool of 50 potential candidates for the SC, but you will only consider 13 because they are black women. What are the chances that you selected the best one? Is Jackson the best? - maybe, but the chances are she is not.

I did not ask you to "determine qualifications", I asked you what qualities make a qualified candidate. Did you not read the question? Points off teach!

As far as "Not my responsibity..." Really? Not your responsibility? No shit! I never considered for a moment that you were on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Doh!

But, because it's not your reponsibility, apparently you can't have a conversation about the subject. Is that how you operate in the classroom? Refuse to discuss topics that are not your responsibility? Lovely.

Nothing on ACB? Your silence speaks volumes.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wish to debate "qualities" vs "qualifications"? - Get a life. You are mirroring Mac too much, sad, but that's your choice.
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
You wish to debate "qualities" vs "qualifications"? - Get a life. You are mirroring Mac too much, sad, but that's your choice.

Where did i say that I wanted to debate qualities vs qualifications?

I simply asked you to express your opinion. Apparently you are incapable of doing that and instead resort to deflection. I'll simplify it for you:

Was ACB the most qualified candidate? If so, why?

Can't or won't answer? That's sad, but it's your choice! LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 171 of 205

Jump to: