myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynsurfer wrote:
The winter of 1977 was great here in Connecticut if you like winter. I lived one block from Clinton harbor which had three feet of ice in it and this is salt water. The best blizzard I ever witnessed: I saw it snow so hard that when we were let out of work, while standing on the corner of U.S. route 1 and Commerce St. I could not even see the traffic light. This was around 2:00 pm. We managed to walk to the Driftwood for a few drinks and enjoy the storm.

Back then there was a glacier in Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. It no longer exists.

My younger brother had a summer job in Glacier park Montana driving a tour buss back then. many of the glaciers that existed then no longer exists.

This is happening all over the world, not just in a few locations.

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/top-7-disappearing-glaciers

There was never a glacier in Tuckermans. bad info bro.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote: "There was never a glacier in Tuckermans. bad info bro."

Sorry, wrong. Tuckerman ravine is a glacial cirque. No question. Take a look bro: http://timefortuckerman.com/
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynsurfer wrote:
mat-ty wrote: "There was never a glacier in Tuckermans. bad info bro."

Sorry, wrong. Tuckerman ravine is a glacial cirque. No question. Take a look bro: http://timefortuckerman.com/

Glacial cirgue means the bowl was formed by glaciers. In Tuckermans case that was millions of years ago.
There has never been a true Glacier there, that would mean year round ice that never completely melts. A true glacier NEEDS TO EXCEED ABLATION.

Glaciers form where the accumulation of snow and ice exceeds ablation. A glacier usually originates from a landform called 'cirque' (or corrie or cwm) – a typically armchair-shaped geological feature (such as a depression between mountains enclosed by arêtes) – which collects and compresses through gravity the snow that falls into it. This snow collects and is compacted by the weight of the snow falling above it, forming névé. Further crushing of the individual snowflakes and squeezing the air from the snow turns it into "glacial ice". This glacial ice will fill the cirque until it "overflows" through a geological weakness or vacancy, such as the gap between two mountains. When the mass of snow and ice is sufficiently thick, it begins to move due to a combination of surface slope, gravity and pressure. On steeper slopes, this can occur with as little as 15 m (50 ft) of snow-ice.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some conservative posters would have fun with Matty's unattributed plagiarism of Wikipedia--if it was done by someone not on the far right.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no Glaciers in New Hampshire moron. You obviously know that but choose to change the subject.

If you weren't such a DB you would acknowledge that I am right and Wsurf is wrong
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Some conservative posters would have fun with Matty's unattributed plagiarism of Wikipedia--if it was done by someone not on the far right.

I am far from the "FAR RIGHT" MAC. You are just so left, I look far away.

Not a gun fan, not overly concerned about abortion, not religious, and believe it or not I consider myself socially liberal.

Ran Paul and John Stossel make more sense to me than 90% of the people in DC.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

From your post today, on your racism thread~
mac wrote:
Another weak attempt at diversion.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mat-ty,

Thanks for your response. There was in the 60's and 70's year round ice and snow at Tuckerman's. We were told by staff while staying at Lake of the Clouds Hut that what we were seeing there in the ravine were the remnants of the last ice age. From The National Snow and Ice Data Center:

" Some glaciers are as small as football fields, while others grow to be dozens or even hundreds of kilometers long." So.......

Get ready for the up coming ski season! First snowfall on Mt. Washington was on this day last year!

Check out Wildcat if you haven't already done so.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/glaciers/questions/what.html
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you give your source, and perhaps check a few, you're more credible. I had never heard of Tuckerman's Ravine.

Quote:
`How did Tuckerman's Ravine form?
Tuckerman's Ravine was formed during the Pleistocene epoch, which took place about two million years ago. An alpine glacier eroded the rock after the rest of the large continental ice-sheet had retreated to the north. This remaining alpine glacier cut the rock into a glacial cirque as it slid over the land.
​Scientists believe the glacier moved in a southwestern direction, moving, carving, and displacing rock as is went. If you look at the ravine, you are able to see four distinct talus fields. In the figure to the right, you can see an aerial view of Tuckerman's Ravine. This figure numbers the four talus sites, symbolized by the black spotted areas, that exist in the ravine. These talus fields formed as rocks broke from the main formations of the mountain, and barreled down the mountainside, known as a rockfall. The talus fields are made out of large boulders and long joint blocks with long axes of at least one meter. ​
https://whitemnf.weebly.com/geology/geology-of-tuckermans-ravine

It does not appear to be active, but there is debate over whether it held on after the retreat of glaciers at the end of the Wisconsin era. https://www.mountwashington.org/experience-the-weather/observer-comments.aspx?id=18189

Nevertheless, seizing on a small error about one glacier does not negate the evidence of retreat of many active glaciers, which has been posted here many times. Rather, it is the favorite of "conservaties", diversion.

To be more specific, there is no evidence that any of the righties making smarmy postings, incliuding Matty's about Tuckerman's, have read any of the literature posted here or have any meaningful commentary to add. As usual.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link mac. Interesting information. Always keep an open mind. Nothing is for certain except death and taxes as my old man used to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 3 of 194

Jump to: