myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeskate Iceboard search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can go in light snow, and a picture of a Woodie for the archives. It has an ash stringer that gives the deck a positive arch until loaded and has good flex.

IMG_0214.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  528.49 KB
 Viewed:  32309 Time(s)

IMG_0214.JPG

Ice jibe 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.78 KB
 Viewed:  32309 Time(s)

Ice jibe 2.jpg

systemslib

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few hardcore ice sailors in Maine, but the setup for proper conditions is not common as the ice almost always ends up with snow very quickly. But there have been late falls/early winter with dry cold conditions and the boaters appear, usually for a 2-3 day window after rain/refreeze. Many drive hundreds of miles for the conditions. It would not seem a sport with much guaranteed sailing time unless willing to travel at moments notice?
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed a windskier 380CS?? Can't find any vids or other reviews of it. There's one near me for sale. Would the performance of it work only on ice? It looks like it would not need clear ice as much as the freeskate and could go in a bit of snow. You can adjust the angle of the skis. The board is aluminum so would be heavy enough to keep going through lulls. Not so much acceleration I would presume. Would it Have a hard time turning or going up or down wind.

This is what it looks like

20181122_195300.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  419.4 KB
 Viewed:  32202 Time(s)

20181122_195300.png

fox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemslib wrote:
There are a few hardcore ice sailors in Maine, but the setup for proper conditions is not common as the ice almost always ends up with snow very quickly.

Ice boats need a lot more room and pristine conditions.

The ponds near the coast tend to get less snow and it gets blown off. A good rain goes a long way to clear things up as well. Add to that the larger lakes freeze later in the winter and avoid early snow accumulations.

It all depends on the winter, but there are years good ice sailing is very common.
gschuel1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Has anyone sailed a windskier 380CS?? Can't find any vids or other reviews of it. There's one near me for sale. Would the performance of it work only on ice? It looks like it would not need clear ice as much as the freeskate and could go in a bit of snow. You can adjust the angle of the skis. The board is aluminum so would be heavy enough to keep going through lulls. Not so much acceleration I would presume. Would it Have a hard time turning or going up or down wind.

I have a windskier 380CS. You want to put long skis on it if possible. Jumping skis are ideal. The 380CS works both on clear ice as well as snow covered ice up to 6 inches deep, something that iceboards can't do. I installed small blades to the back of the skis to minimize spinout. If you don't do this you will skid upwind every time you sheet in the sail. I will send more details and pics later. I recommend you jump on this as these boards are extremely rare. They were imported from England of all places around 1984. I paid $200 for mine but it didn't come with skis or footstraps which I installed. I wouldn't pay more than $400 though, especially if the skis are less than 180cm long (you'll want to get longer ones).
gschuel1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place for info all things relating to ice board sailing is the "Iceboard WindSurfing" group on Facebook. This group has members both in the USA and Europe (Holland, Sweden, Norway, Latvia) and much info on board construction, race results, and sailing technique. You will need to get permission to join but we accept anyone!
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gschuel1 wrote:
atlas.wave55 wrote:

I have a windskier 380CS. You want to put long skis on it if possible. Jumping skis are ideal. The 380CS works both on clear ice as well as snow covered ice up to 6 inches deep, something that iceboards can't do. I installed small blades to the back of the skis to minimize spinout. If you don't do this you will skid upwind every time you sheet in the sail. I will send more details and pics later. I recommend you jump on this as these boards are extremely rare. They were imported from England of all places around 1984. I paid $200 for mine but it didn't come with skis or footstraps which I installed. I wouldn't pay more than $400 though, especially if the skis are less than 180cm long (you'll want to get longer ones).

I did not even know if this thing worked very well so have not pick one up so....thanks for the quick review I can get one with skis for around $50. They don't look that long though. But I guess I can switch skis for long ones. What is a good length for skis? Interested to see what you did with yours. The angle of the skis can adjust right?
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gschuel1"]The place for info all things relating to ice board sailing is the "Iceboard WindSurfing" group on Facebook. This group has members both in the USA and Europe (Holland, Sweden, Norway, Latvia) and much info on board construction, race results, and sailing technique. You will need to get permission to join but we accept anyone![/quote

Did not know windsurfing in the winter was this popular. Lots of sick ice sleds in that group. Don't think I would use any of my newer race sails though wouldn't monofilm be pritty brittle in low temps. Puting your ass through a pannel at 50 knots probably doesn't help either Laughing
gorky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ice windsurfing video from Maine is really great, those jibing tacks or whatever they are, are about the coolest maneuver in windsurfing.

Do people still do this? Those guys made it look pretty amazing.
gschuel1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
gschuel1 wrote:
atlas.wave55 wrote:

I did not even know if this thing worked very well so have not pick one up so....thanks for the quick review I can get one with skis for around $50. They don't look that long though. But I guess I can switch skis for long ones. What is a good length for skis? Interested to see what you did with yours. The angle of the skis can adjust right?

$50 is a great price! You should jump on this, even if the skis are short. You can pick up old/used long skis later. Attached is a picture of the small blades that I attached to the back of the skis to minimize spin-out. As I said skis should be 180cm or longer. I have 220cm jumping skis on my 380CS. Also you need to apply wax to the skis on a regular basis, just like any other kind of skiing. The picture was taken just after I applied hot wax to the skis but before I buufed it out (just like waxing your car). Yes the ski angle is adjustable but you can set them to 45 degrees and forget it. Angle is necessary so the ski edges "bite" into the ice or snow. You won't use/need the full ski surface area unless in deeper snow.

IMG_20150131_094759_255.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  31813 Time(s)

IMG_20150131_094759_255.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: