myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best beginner Foil Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SergioKapul wrote:
Did try slingshot foil, hover, is is good but Tillo at a different level of stability and ease of ride. Slingshot boards are too narrow for efficient light wind ride

I dont think 31 inches is narrow. https://www.slingshotsports.com/Wizard-125-Foil-Board

True the dialler sacrifices width to increase length for ease of learning.

Anyways i think that front wing surface area is probably more important than board width for light wind foiling.

Not sure about tillo foils. All the foilers I know are riding either slingshot aluminum foils or the F4 foils.
ss59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes for an interesting question.

Foiling is often citing as requiring a skill level of "comfortable in the harness and the footstraps".

I learnt to windsurf first than adapted to foiling, so wondering if it would be easier / the same / harder to learn these core skills on a foil before a windsurf board??
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most of us, I'm just a beginner at this so any and all input will help us all. In windsurfing (not a beginner) I found long and narrow boards glide much better in lite winds than short wide boards. The wide boards tend to push water before they plane while the longer boards seem to glide above it. So I ask, if the flying speed of a given foil is six or eight mph board speed, what type of board will get up to that speed first? I'm learning that if your goal is high speed foiling with a race foil and sail then you need a wide tail board to control that set up. If your goal in foiling is a fun and relaxing foiling ride with a small sail, than you don't need a wide board. I'm having tons of fun
on the smallest sail and going plenty fast with my front foot in the strap and my back foot near the center line of the board. I like the freedom of moving my back foot placement in and out and front to back as needed. Anyone else foil this way?
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
SergioKapul wrote:
Did try slingshot foil, hover, is is good but Tillo at a different level of stability and ease of ride. Slingshot boards are too narrow for efficient light wind ride

I dont think 31 inches is narrow. https://www.slingshotsports.com/Wizard-125-Foil-Board

True the dialler sacrifices width to increase length for ease of learning.

Anyways i think that front wing surface area is probably more important than board width for light wind foiling.

Not sure about tillo foils. All the foilers I know are riding either slingshot aluminum foils or the F4 foils.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss55: For foiling there is much less pressure in the harness so it might be possible to learn harness on the foil. My guess is you will be the first person to ever do this, so let us know if it works out.

Learning harness and straps is a key step for progression in regular windsurfing and is hump for most people due to possibility of catapulting and difficulty moving feet without turning the board.

With foiling there is minimal pressure on the sail so the probability of catapulting is far lower than then main barrier to foiling which is foil-breach-nosedive.

For me, I usually put the front foot in the strap before I start pumping to get on the foil, then put the back foot in on the way up. But many of my mates skip the back strap altogether.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Like most of us, I'm just a beginner at this so any and all input will help us all. In windsurfing (not a beginner) I found long and narrow boards glide much better in lite winds than short wide boards. The wide boards tend to push water before they plane while the longer boards seem to glide above it. So I ask, if the flying speed of a given foil is six or eight mph board speed, what type of board will get up to that speed first? I'm learning that if your goal is high speed foiling with a race foil and sail then you need a wide tail board to control that set up. If your goal in foiling is a fun and relaxing foiling ride with a small sail, than you don't need a wide board. I'm having tons of fun
on the smallest sail and going plenty fast with my front foot in the strap and my back foot near the center line of the board. I like the freedom of moving my back foot placement in and out and front to back as needed. Anyone else foil this way?

It is a good question. The width does help. I have two foil boards and the smaller one is 1 inch narrower which does seem to make it more difficult to get going in light air. But you can see that long narrow boards (eg a downwind sup shap) with a high non-planning velocity that glide onto the foil might work too.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in 5 years we will have it all worked out. For now its fun being part of the learning curve. Its 1980 all over again.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:

I ride a similar style on a board which is narrow by foil standards (72"). I even use the inside straps. It seems foils are now being produced for this style.

I foil alongside guys with slalom and formula boards. We get going about the same time but they can go higher and run larger sails with comfort (7.2 is about my limit).
The only people consistently flying sooner are using the 84cm slingshot wing.

I would echo the statement that harness and footstrap use needs to be very comfortable before learning to foil.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:

The wider the board the bigger the sail you need to get on a plane, or on the foil. Formula boards need 10-12 square meters at the low end. 91 wide foils require 8-9 to be competitive in light air.

But a large board gives you control over the big stuff. A board with a narrow tail cannot hold on a large sail, or be used with a powerful, race style, foil, or really any foil with a mast longer than 75-85.

Hard to come up with precise numbers but race-style wide foil boards use sails not that different than slalom boards (say 1 square meter smaller). While narrower freeride/freerace foil with up to 2 meters smaller sails.

Skill is a big divider: few days ago I witnessed Chris from F4 taking off with a Starboard Foil 177 + F4 foil and 7.8 in what must have been 8 mph. A little pump and he disappeared at the horizon.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do heavier riders benefit more than lightweights in light wind foiling?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: