myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 76 wing first thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I don't see how you can use the A position for anything but SUP or kiting. That would center the wing under your back foot. Even B seems kind of far back on a regular board. The H2 likes C.

May depend a lot on sailing style. Many freeriders are used to a lot of back foot pressure, which is one reason Slingshot suggests to start with the A position. For anyone used to sailing smaller fins (on freestyle or wave boards) and having more front foot pressure, a more forward position may work better.

In addition, it may depend on the board. Strap positions on old windsurf boards that some foilers use can be more forward. Others use freestyle boards, with straps a bit forward and close to the center, which can promote a more upright and balanced stance than straps far on the outside.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use B position for the 76 (standard position)
I use C position for the 84 (pushes wing further forward)

just to clear i'll attach the following picture

the top picture is B position. The bottom picture is C position. A position is mounting the mast through the wing (kiting & SUP) which I don't think people do for windsurfing.

2017_WINDSURF_FWIND1_FOIL_SWITCHFUSE_SUPPORT_WEB_950x360.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.35 KB
 Viewed:  12122 Time(s)

2017_WINDSURF_FWIND1_FOIL_SWITCHFUSE_SUPPORT_WEB_950x360.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You run the bigger wing further forward Kevin?
H2 in any position but C is a back leg burner. But I like a narrow stance, rear foot in front of the straps, when foiling.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday in 10-15 knots in B position with the same setup as my previous post(jp135 and 7.5 sail). I should have been on a way smaller sail and maybe even tested out A postion, which seems to be under controversy right now. I was getting way too much lift. Even when all of my weight was on the front foot and I was sheated out. I even tried putting my front foot in front of the front strap and my back foot in between the two straps and it was tricking and probably not designed to be sailed that way, I like having my feet in at least one strap.
I need to seriously think about getting a smaller sail, anything over 10 knots on my 7.5 seems too much for my helium bones.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11-17 mph breeze and I'm on 4.5.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas, a 7.5 sail is huge in 10 to 15 winds. That would be a 4.7 for me with a few pumps to get flying. I'm finding that you need to rig for the high end of the wind range. Just enough sail that you need to head off the wind and pump a bit. The foil is so efficient that once flying you need very little power to keep you going. Being able to keep a smaller sail sheeted in gives you better control over foil height. Sheeting out a big sail disturbs the balance of the foil and leads to uncontrollable flight. Today was my second day out on the 76 wing. In the back position. I found that I had very early foil lift, higher angle to the wind and a more stable flight over my H2 wing. The most surprising to me, I needed to get my weigh a bit more back on the board to make it lift. That allowed me to get in the front strap and control foiling height with a more equal front to back leg pressure. I don't use a back strap but my foot was back at that point. Just a hip and shoulder shift allow me to control height. I had the lake to myself for almost 2hrs. before the first windsurfer got going on 6.5 and big board.
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the letter assignment for mast position on the fuse needs to be clarified.
I have not seen a clear definition by SS what is A,B or C position. By looking at the picture of two positions I assumed that position A is where mast is closer to the front wing, and position B is puts them farther apart. On australian forum I saw people referring to C position which puzzled me. Now I see Kevin describing position A as the mast through the front wing which I never thought of. So who knows for sure what the letters should really mean?
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all fuselages have the mast positions labeled. Pretty sure A is covered up by the wing.

fuselage 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.97 MB
 Viewed:  12062 Time(s)

fuselage 2.jpg

Last edited by LUCARO on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

I'm neither huge nor sailing often in marginal conditions, so I'm sticking with the 76cm. Plus my H2 is falling apart.

Yeah. You're gonna be pumped. The other advantage of the 76 option is that you will never need to switch wings, which aside from saving time it may also allow you to improve on gybes a bit faster as you have consistent gear that feels predictable
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
I think the letter assignment for mast position on the fuse needs to be clarified.
I have not seen a clear definition by SS what is A,B or C position. By looking at the picture of two positions I assumed that position A is where mast is closer to the front wing, and position B is puts them farther apart. On australian forum I saw people referring to C position which puzzled me. Now I see Kevin describing position A as the mast through the front wing which I never thought of. So who knows for sure what the letters should really mean?

RTFM (Read The Fine Manual).
Below is a picture from the 2019 manual that comes with the Infinity 76, and is also available at https://www.slingshotsports.com/slingshot-qsg There are additional pictures for assembly in each position that make it even clearer.

Some of the confusion may come from the older fuselages having fewer positions. We got advice on how to mount ours from a very knowledgeable guy who also just mentioned 2 positions; I think he's on a 2018 foil.

Slingshot Foil Positions.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.62 KB
 Viewed:  12019 Time(s)

Slingshot Foil Positions.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: