myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy field smash and grab
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On days when you need to take only one sail and board, leave nothing of value inside (except your pet rattlesnake) and leave your windows open or at least your doors unlocked (it's easy enough to hide your driver's license all by itself or even put it in a ziplock bag and take it with you).
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNDZRFR wrote:
Christ now I'm going to have to see if I can break into my hitch safe like they do to the lock boxes.

The world sure was a lot simpler when there was only 5-6 billion people!

I have one of those and sadly they are also pretty easy for a determined thief. At least they are not so obvious as the lock boxes.

I used to take my key in a waterproof "pouch" - but one random time it let in water and I was $200 poorer.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
I used to take my key in a waterproof "pouch" - but one random time it let in water and I was $200 poorer.

Goddamn electronic key fobs. I double pouch my key.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you order a mechanical, for big bucks, and leave the e tron at home?
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using cheap single-use Ziploc sandwich bags I got from Costco for the last three years without any issues. Double bag your e-key if want since the bags are dirt cheap.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the Car Brand
Mechanical Keys are and option but may not be easy to use.
Also you can Faraday Cage your Fob and hide or lock it in the Car.
That would not save it from a break in if the thief was intent on getting
it and it may not save it from signal stealing if they do it when you drive
up.

The Telsa Card Key with double verification would be pretty good
you can take that in the water and not worry about it drowning.

Got a dead key for the old BMW 06 wagon it was only 75 bucks but you
have to carry a fob if you want to use the electronic locks and the key less access.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If car theft (not burglary) is a problem, a well-concealed kill switch can really slow them down. Mine has two modes:
1. Simply kills the starter. (On my previous van, it killed the ignition, the starter, and the fuel pump.)

2. Kills the starter and routes the starter power to the freaking LOUD quad horns. I wanna see a blood trail if some POS has his head under my dash when fishing around for the kill switch while playing with the key.

Another solution I've successfully employed for most of my life is avoiding F-ing cities. That goes tenfold these days.
kcorr1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: e-generation is fossil fuel based Reply with quote

It misses the point to spend on car solutions to prevent smash and grab. I do spend time and effort on human powered transportation solutions instead. I welcome more of the same.

Due to climate change, I got out of the recreational driving business a few seasons ago. I don't regret it. The additional exercise to transport myself and my kit to/from sailing using human powered means has been a transformation. I highly recommend it on the fitness merits alone.

Apart from fitness, why do it? Because there are few other transportation choices that limit carbon emissions. e-vehicles, fossil fuel, natural gas all emit green house gases that accelerate climate change. The great lie is that electricity based locomotion is carbon neutral. Generation is fossil fuel based and climate change doesn't slow if the carbon comes from one place or another ie. tailpipe or generation station smoke stack.

So, I welcome to ideas for securing things from theft while sailing. I especially like ideas that would work well assuming those things transported via bicycle, bicycle trailer, etc. Best regards, corr

20170325_173042.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  394.47 KB
 Viewed:  12398 Time(s)

20170325_173042.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcorr1, you make me feel less guilty -- if that's possible -- by balancing out my carbon footprint. A day trip to and from Da Beach costs me at least $70 in regular gas, and I get zero exercise en route. Sad
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
loopless wrote:

Goddamn electronic key fobs. I double pouch my key.

Yep, I use a "Waterseals Magnetic Self-Sealing Waterproof Pouch" and first I put the key in a little ziplock. Works like a charm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: