myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IKitesurf Classifieds Scammers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemslib

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks man, I can say that friends/family paypal is a huge red flag as you have found out transactions done via F/F are not buyer protected, pretty stupid of paypal to even offer it as the scammers will always push the F/F option.....
amarie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

systemslib wrote:
Sucks man, I can say that friends/family paypal is a huge red flag as you have found out transactions done via F/F are not buyer protected, pretty stupid of paypal to even offer it as the scammers will always push the F/F option.....

What is the supposed legit use of friends and family paypal (other than obviously making payments to people you trust) - is there some sort of reduced transaction fee or other benefit that regular paypal doesn't offer? I had never heard of this option. I appreciate the light being shed on this scam.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends and Family is done at no charge or reduced charges to the sender or receiver. At least that is my understanding.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
I didn't realize I'd been scammed until it was about 8 days later. Too late to stop payment.

We have weeks to months to get our money returned. Perhaps my terminology is misleading: even if the recipient has already been paid (and/or it's weeks before we discover we've scammed or the merchandise proves shoddy or misrepresented), the credit card company will usually credit our account with the charge and take on the burden of getting their money back from the merchant. This used to require proof of an honest attempt at dealing with the merchant; doesn't seem to be required any more (I was ready to supply proof, but they didn't even ask for any.) Can't hurt to ask.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Iso, I will go to my Bank tomorrow and give it a try.
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom two posts on the previous page have been rewritten to show where the money went.

To summarize, When the $655 left Yesenia's Paypal account it was transferred to the Paypal account of a Bitcoin dealer in Europe. That dealer converted the money from dollars to euros, then put the money in his account. He then used the money to buy and sell bitcoins.

I had been negotiating with the Bitcoin dealer to keep his name and contact info private. Negotiations broke down, so I have to share what I know. The guy's name is FD, his phone number is +31 631------, he received Scam funds from a scammer Charles Allianz via Paypal transaction ID 93L321818B729371L on June 6 in the amount of $655. FD trades Bitcoins at Localbitcoins.com He acknowledges having received the money in dollars which he exchanged for euros and then used the money to buy and sell bitcoins.

Last edited by thombiz on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason I charge anything over about ten bucks (and have zero interest in Bitcoin or PayPal) is that the credit companies seem to be more closely regulated and apparently fall all over each other for our business despite our never paying any interest. (Take THAT, interest-lowering scammers!)

BTW, I don't call my "Bank", if by that you mean "the place you keep your checking account and all those gold bars". I call the number on the back of my credit card. I also use the same card for all online purchases, so I know immediately which card number to change when I suspect it's been compromised. And if they owe me any money, I just ask for it ... unlike Paypal.

(Another reason, irrelevant here, is the paper trail they provide. We itemize our taxes, which used to require making and keeping detailed accounting records. Now credit cards do all that for us by categorizing every charge.)
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thank you to Iso, Bank of America took on the case and assigned a team of about 7 people to work the case.

In a negotiation with the bitcoin trader and I offered to remove his name, workplace, phone number, and email address to protect his reputation in exchange for some key information. I've held up my end, he, Fd, held up his end. He was able to provide the information I knew he had.

Just a quick note....because of ongoing efforts I have to go silent for a while so as not cripple those efforts. Bare with me, I will post a lot more at the appropriate time.

Last edited by thombiz on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission today. Just as I was finishing the Complaint, I see this: the FTC cannot resolve individual complaints, but can provide information about what steps to take to protect yourself

I guess that is our tax dollars at work!
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank finally came thru and I am now in possession of digital documents that identifies Yesenia Robles as the person who sent the $655 (I already knew that) These documents also identify transaction numbers showing her as the client purchasing the bitcoins and the amount spent. I'm ready to clean up the digital trail on FD, his info proved to be productive. FD was on the highway driving from Netherlands to Bulgaria in the past two days which delayed his sending the documents to me. Yesenia Robles is now back in the crosshairs. Much more to come.

Last edited by thombiz on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: