myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fried forearms
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Fried forearms Reply with quote

Haven’t been on the water in a month. As usual, first few runs out and forearms get fried. Happens at the start to the season or after a time away. Once in harness I make it a point to relax the forearms etc., but never fails the muscles get fried and I am done for the day.

If I am in season form, no problems at all. Any tips to prevent this? Any exercises that work? Biceps curls don’t do anything.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wring dry your laundry by hand.
Dig ditches.
Swing a baseball bat.
Use an axe and cut down some trees.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a short arm Wetsuit.

-Craig
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12oz curls
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only WS activity I can think of that virtually REQUIRES arm (and back) strength and endurance is advanced DTL wave sailing. Otherwise, let the harness carry the load.

During long layoffs, dllee covers one valuable approach, and cable weights in the gym covers another. You can torch virtually any muscle in your body, or most of your body simultaneously and very dynamically, with them. One of many exercises I do with them is flying leaps, which bust my ass head to toe. I plug over half my weight into the weight stack, grab two handles (or a bar) suspended overhead, pull the handles off to one side as far as the long cables will allow, leap into the air towards the other side, land facing the way I came from, sink down, leap and fly back to my starting position, and repeat until I can't find any more oxygen in the room. This covers about 20 lateral feet side to side, and involves and/or develops plyometrics, whole-body strength, core, strength/endurance/aerobic/anaerobic systems, timing, determination, balance, body control, and more. It's just one part of a whole, prolonged whole-body HIIT circuit I employ, it brings together many different aspects of training, and of all the gym stuff I do, it comes closest to being fun ... up to the point I inhale and use that last available oxygen atom. Then I heave for air until I can release the cables and walk safely, walk until I can control my breathing, and repeat, usually with 10# less weight.

But I still need weeks of TOW every spring to get into the groove.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, but unrealistic, just ride a motocross bike on a rough track.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang from a pull up bar for time. Most people don't last 30 seconds. Hang by one hand after you get to 1 minute with both. No pull up bar? Use whatever is available. Ceiling joists in your garage work just fine. Use your imagination. Al Kavadlo has some good advice: https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-ultimate-grip-strength-test
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with dllee's dirt bike reference. I rode my desert bikes many times every week for many years, and a University of Utah varsity football team trainer told me that almost none of his players could match my ergometer performance, especially when set on maximum resistance. I was 35 then and had never been near a gym since high school PE; my fitness comes from very hard play, or at least equally hard productive labor at home. Now, when it's too frigging cold to WS and it's the gym or nothing, my pulse and respiration increase noticeably as I approach the gym because they know they're facing a maximum effort whole-body workout. Any lesser effort is almost a waste of time. Fortunately if our time is a factor, we can achieve impressive results in just a few hours per month, as the right kinds of exercise are so exhausting that doing them even once a week is counterproductive. Done right, less is more.

A key to staying fit which we almost never see in fitness articles or books is finding a physically challenging activity about as important to us as life itself. As the T shirt says, "[pick a sport] is life; the rest is details". I put fitness and exercise books that focus heavily on charts and reps and raw eggs back on the shelf, because they don't hold a candle to a rip-roaring 3.5 day or Utah's endless dunes, canyons, and cornices.

If your forearms are the only muscles that get tired, not only are you in excellent shape otherwise (and/or your booms are too low), but all you have to do is lie beneath your kitchen table, grab the edge, and do 90-120 seconds of incredibly slow perfect-form horizontal pullups with your body and legs perfectly straight ... 10 seconds up, 10 seconds down ... until you couldn't finish the last one if someone held a gun to your head.

For additional benefit, try like holy hell for 10 seconds to complete that last pullup* to reach complete concentric failure. If you can't go for 90 seconds or can go over 120, adjust your foot rest elevation accordingly to change the level of effort. No warmup or cooldown is necessary, it takes <3 minutes, and repeating this within 10 days usually sets us ... even the pros ... back. (Some pro lifters are experimenting with two weeks between such workouts.) I used to do this hanging inverted, but a) it's the wrong angle for your issue and b) equipment failure = a broken neck.

* The only rep that counts in any strength-building exercise is the one you cannot complete in perfect form. If we're not tearing muscle fibers, it's just another form of aerobics, and we now know that aerobics' many negatives outweigh its very few positives. For even greater benefit in even less time, enlist help getting back up to the table and lower yourself as slowly as you possibly can until eccentric failure for an even greater benefit.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a very low hour sportbike with unusual grip wear. His Mr. Death Grip style did it I'm sure.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pull ups 3x a week will solve your issue.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7k5_a7tjjAhVojFQKHeMpAoYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftenor.com%2Fsearch%2Fpull-ups-gifs&psig=AOvVaw0NI63xkvlSqZQYxzxFoPQP&ust=1564446228403499
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: