myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cape Cod 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjanson1 wrote:
Sadly, I've been avoiding many places on the outer cape which once were favorites: Duck Harbor, Wellfleet Harbor, Beach Point Truro/Ptown, even Forest in Chatham all trouble me. Still sail the bayside in Brewster and soundside in Dennis or Hyannis. The sharks are everywhere; I just dont need to be where they're being spotted most often.

Used mostly my wider/flat board in the bay, beach point/Provincetown the past couple weeks. In the chop, this board repetively pounds on the water. Thinking this sounds less like a tasty meal? Or maybe it sounds like a dinner bell to whitey, who knows.
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do long open-water swims every time I visited, and let's just say that if I swim any kind of distance there anymore, it's in a pond. Although last time I saw a big snapping turtle, so I guess you can't win...
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any information about the annual windsurfing festival on Cape Cod at Kalmus Beach this year. Are they not having it this year due to all the shark activity? I would think you would be pretty safe sailing in Lewis Bay.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no ECWF Cape Cod this year because attendance was quite low last year, and some sponsors were "disappointing" (to phrase it politely). It has nothing to do with sharks. I've sailed at Kalmus 43 times so far in 2019, and never seen a shark. Even seal sightings are quite rare, and largely restricted to Lewis Bay earlier in the year.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boardsurfr! Keeping an eye on the weather and hoping to get up that way soon!
riwiseuse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: facts of life (and death) Reply with quote

Good point that the south coast is less of a seal/shark stomping ground. But having seen what happened in the bay, I wonder if expanding populations of prey and predator don't suggest eventual colonization. Maybe the shark activity app or other surveys indicate how this is, or is not, affecting the islands and buzzards bay as well. I used to ride across from fairhaven on the southwests with contacts expecting me, and haven't heard anything about buzzards.

I had given up my big NE riding off the outside a couple years back, although i imagine i'm still a needle in a haystack a mile offshore there, the prospect of being found wasn't particularly attractive.

But now the bay is getting more offlimits. i used to ride wellfleet to race point but I wonder about venturing out of the low tide flats these days. Laws of averages are probably still way in my favor but that doesn't alter the visage of drawing the short straw.

Cape Cod Bay was my absolute favorite ride with the shallow water, great wind, good chop and immense territory, but my next favorite ride has been narragansett bay with really good channeling winds and super thermal gain on sunny SW which, for now, is outside the occupied habitat. We get a few passersby on the RI south coast in summer although not endemic, but the harbour seals are off season residents of the bay, so i'm not sure how long this good thing is going to last.

I ride the ocean further south, virginia, north carolina where shark activity used to be more prevalant than up here but tracked fish more than seals (although I imagine that could be changing as well). I used the knowledge of where the fish were running as indicator where not to kite when it is active time. But I really think the Seal/Great White thing poses a challenge for a lot of recreational activity on the cape and elsewhere.

The historic harsh cull of seals was all of that, (fisherman rather than watersports the main instigators but we sure were tangential beneficiary), and there was nothing like this going on during that time. You start to get a sense of how native communities feel about hosting elephants and lions, rhinos and hippos. The folks on the front lines don't share the same megafauna passion as the folks egging it on from their armchairs. It is a complicated challenge to manage and i'm not advocating a direct return to kill all the lawyers . . . eer sharks (or seals) but not taking it off the table either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: