myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berkeley Reef sensor is LATE / down... status?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us44eric

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Reef sensor is LATE / down... status? Reply with quote

It appears the Berkeley Reef sensor (maybe spot 175511) in San Francisco Bay Area is Late or Down, apparently since 0:39 today Aug 26, 2020. (Screenshot is attached)

Any updates or info for the East Bay sailing community about what's wrong or when might be back online?

Also, I did contact WeatherFlow support as described below but thought I'd post here too as sometimes Mike or another from WeatherFlow responds and others might be interested.

From WeatherFlow support regarding 'Malfunctioning or down weather station', I clicked the link 'ask us about it' and then submitted a 'Request'.

I do understand that there are lots of sensors around the world and appreciate all you do.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Eric

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.56.33.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.63 KB
 Viewed:  30751 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 11.56.33.png

windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

The west coast sensor crew has been alerted. Unfortunately, they were just in the Bay Area a couple of weeks ago to work on the Crissy and Tomales sensors. At any given time about 1% of our sensors are down. When a sensor goes down it goes into the nationwide queue that is based upon failiure time and the number customers that depend upon the sensor.

In the case of Berkeley Reef the repair is complicated by the need for a boat, high time and calm waters plus Coast Guard permission.. Just getting a boat that can work around metal over a rocky reef is a challenge.

Normally I would say the chances of a speedy repair are bleak. But since the very important Waddell sensor has been offline since the fire we should have a crew down there once the fire situation has stabilized.

For both the Waddell and Berkeley Reef sensor, Berkeley there is a chance it is a cell issue that may resolve itself.

If some you with a camera could sail up to the Berkeley reef and get a photo of the sensor it would really help us plan a repair.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

ZZ13DB5AA2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.47 KB
 Viewed:  30722 Time(s)

ZZ13DB5AA2.jpg

us44eric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for update, Mike... actually it looks back online now! And data is filled in now, without any gap in history from the time it went offline. Maybe twas a cell issue like you said that resolved itself! Great!

I was planning to reply about trying to organize getting a photo of the sensor. Hopefully the issue is resolved, but yes, I'm sure we could organize photo(s) if necessary in future.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Eric
us44eric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike —

As you suggested, I am posting *photos* of the Berkeley Reef station with many thanks to local and national treasure Bryan McDonald who graciously kayaked an extra mile round trip out to the sensor Saturday afternoon Aug 29, 2020 as he shot some great photos of CalCup hydrofoil windsurf course racing. (We find Berkeley Reef station among other things is often the best sensor for our regular sailing in the Olympic Circle where the CalCup racing occurs, generally between Berkeley Yacht Club buoy and Olympic Circle Post D. By the way, CalCup racing way was delayed a bit by Covid-19 but has been ongoing this season with social distancing and special precautions thanks to another local treasure Weyman Lundquist.)

Since my last reply, the sensor went offline again for around another day or so late last week, but again eventually came back online and backfilled the missing data on the wind graphs.

I have also replied with these photos (in larger size / higher resolution) to Caleb Butler of WeatherFlow support. Hope the Berkeley Reef Station can be kept working and that these photos may be helpful if necessary to address any issues.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Eric
us44eric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...photos...

042A8430 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.52 KB
 Viewed:  30534 Time(s)

042A8430 (4).jpg

042A8427 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.74 KB

042A8427 (4).jpg

042A8424 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.85 KB

042A8424 (4).jpg

042A8420 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.24 KB

042A8420 (4).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: