myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 339, 340, 341  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all do 'research', (NOT just checking often vociferous anti scientific opinions from charlatans), and then decide what to do for the best.

I was against taking the booster shot this Winter (inner doubt felt quite strongly) but after checking the available Facts (not opinions) I've booked my booster shot for next Monday.

I prefer to go on proven science, not a vague feeling that it may prove harmful, and neither do I now accept that I may have already had a dose of the virus without realising. I'm assured that at 83 (84 in four weeks time) I'd certainly have known if I had contracted it!

The bottom line is that I don't want to die, or be incapacitated with illness, just yet. Too many things still to look forward to doing in the time left to me. THAT overrides all else!
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of many studies about post Covid immunity.

Quote:
Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google <natural immunity 27 times stronger>, idiots.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars

The natural immunity discussion and the "27 times" has been discussed on this forum. In fact, I provided links for the study a month or so ago. Natural immunity does offer, potentially, considerable protection. However, this study shows that natural immunity plus immunization provides even better protection...

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0806-vaccination-protection.html
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT

My wife is going to get the booster of Moderna as soon as it is available to her. Hopefully, before we head to Peru for an extended vacation. The booster shots are a bit of a political football over here right now. So, we will see what, actually, happens.

I "cheated" and got a booster of the Pfizer for my J and J single dose (I went to a clinic and they were desperate to give doses at the end of a "vaccination fair") even though the mix and match booster is not yet approved here. I did a fair amount of reading on the mix and match and reviewed several studies and consulted with several physicians. It seemed to be the best decision for me when I considered my situation.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
One of many studies about post Covid immunity.

Quote:
Lasting immunity found after recovery from COVID-19

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19

Did you actually read the summary? It only went out 8 months, and found only modest decreases in immune capacity among most of those who had been infected. About the same result as Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. The only thing interesting was that they didn’t find a difference between those with mild and more severe infections. I certainly hope that is true and borne out by subsequent research. In the meantime, from this morning’s NYT:
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

past iso paygrade...
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Chin-Hong is an infectious disease doctor and researcher at UCSF. He was interviewed on local radio, and said that the initial infections of the alpha COVID did not render those infected immune from the delta variant. He contrasted immunity from the MRna vaccines to that of infections, and said that vaccines provide superior immunity to that of infections. He didn’t use the term 27 times better.

His qualifications: https://www.wkrg.com/news/this-wont-go-away-why-one-doctor-thinks-covid-19-will-never-disappear/

Yale docs agree. https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid

You won’t get this on Fox, or Breitbart.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh.

Quote:
A new report on Friday from the UK Health Ministry indicated the rising prevalence of a new offshoot of the Delta variant of Covid-19. The offshoot is so new that it does not have an official Pango lineage designation — such as B.1.167.2 for the original Delta variant — which is the nomenclature used by most scientists. The new Delta sub-lineage is being labeled as AY.4.2. More commonly, it’s being called “Delta Plus.”

First identified in July of this year, per the BBC, AY.4.2 was found in 6% of the Covid-19 samples tested in the week beginning September 27, according to the UK Health Ministry, which noted the offshoot’s “increasing trajectory.”
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly some confounding lines of reasoning about where we are in responding to COVID. A story today about high Britain cases caught my eye. New infections have averaged more than 44,000 a day over the last week. By contrast, the US, with nearly 5 times the population, had 71,000 cases. The UK rate, normalized to population, is about three times higher than the US rate. Yet it seems that vaccination rates in the UK (68%) are higher than here—57%. In the article, the Office of National Statistics estimated that 1 in 60 people in England had the virus.

It is of note that vaccination rates are much higher in many places, such as Portugal at 86 and Spain at 79%. (NYT vaccination tracker). We also know that the rate of actual infection is higher—perhaps much higher—than the reported rate from confirmed testing. This is evidence that herd immunity is not near, at least in the US and UK. It also suggests that immunity from infection may not be the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 276 of 341

Jump to: