myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel Access Campaign
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel Access Campaign Reply with quote

I’m copying below an email that I just sent to GM Doyle of the EBRPD system. It is self-explanatory, and I trust not overly offensive - acknowledging ongoing concerns about all of us keeping safe, etc.

I plan to also share this with the EBRPD Board during their online meeting tomorrow/Tuesday. It starts at 1 PM. The agenda and instructions on how to listen and possibly participate via public comments can be found at this url:

https://www.ebparks.org/about/meetings/default.htm

Please note that the Board Agenda and Packet mention the following:

C. SPECIAL UPDATE The General Manager will provide an update on the status of the East Bay Regional Park District during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, including temporary park closures

I will be asking to speak, but unsure if/how that will work.

However, you should be able to follow the meeting via this link in the Agenda:

Members of the public can listen to the meeting in the following way:

1.Via the Park District’s live audio stream which can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj9ez8HPdNc

Support and/or constructive feedback appreciated!

Also, better winds than we’ve been experiencing!

Cheers, David

xxxxxxxxxx

Pt. Isabel Regional Park - Public Access Request May 5, 2020

General Manager Robert Doyle,

I'm writing to request that EBRPD Management reconsider the total closure of Pt. Isabel Regional Park (PI).
My understanding as to why the existing total-closure decision was made is that the current Regional Health Order requires that all "dog parks" must be closed. Crowd control at PI apparently is no longer the primary concern, as following an initial closure to address crowd concerns, access to PI was reopened for several days in late March.

However, the subsequent final closure decision effectively threw the baby out with the bath water.

Although dog walkers are an important PI user group, they are not the sole group. Many members of the public utilize Pt. Isabel for activities that are still being actively supported in other EBRPD parks, including walking, biking, kiting, kayaking, SUPing, bird watching, photography, fishing, on-leash dog walking, and windsurfing.
I'm sure you are aware that such activities may be conducted following accepted health guidelines for physical distancing, etc. Otherwise you would have taken steps to totally close all EBRPD parks.
There are a number of approaches to addressing the "crowd concerns" frequently cited in newspaper interviews. Alternatively, if dog use is now the primary closure determinant, there are also specific ways to address that.

I'll propose several possible approaches here:

1. Constrain PI utilization by closing the large off-street parking area next to the Mudpuppy's concession.

2. Curtail dog activities by requiring all dogs brought into the park be kept on-leash, or if such activity remains a concern, prohibit dog entry for the duration of the Regional Health Order's relevant citation - rather than simply banning all use by the public.

3. Limit PI public access to weekdays only.

Any or all of these measures could be readily implemented and would have a significant effect on potential crowding, while reopening the park to a broad cross-section of its constituents. In fact, most of these measures were implemented on March 29th - only to have the park be totally shut down again two days later.

Pt. Isabel is not simply a dog park - it is a Regional Park for the use of the public. Please recognize that distinction and act to accommodate the broader range of users who enjoy and depend on your facility.
I also plan to submit this request during the Public Comment portion of your May 5, 2020 Board Meeting.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
David Fielder
cc: Elizabeth Echols, EBRPD Director - Ward #1
Jim O'Connor, EBRPD Assist. General Manager

xxxxxxxxxxx
sailtildark

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mate!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offensive is ok, just as you said not overly .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
erogind

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider a 'BLUF' edit (bottom line up front).
After your 'please reconsider Pt Isabel closure' you could be straight forward and emphasize access requests for windsurfers.
You can make the points:

- windsurfers can only access the bay in very limited locations and this is one.
- windsurfers use Covid safe practices: wearing masks and distancing from others while spending a short amount of time near the shore rigging. (well, some spend a much longer amount of time rigging... )
- while on the water we have acres of space between us

erik
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report on EBRPD Board Meeting of May 5, 2020:

Yesterday was a real trip - mostly in a not so pleasant sense.

Masochists desiring to share that trip can listen to it - but first put yourself on hold for 45 min..... Sad

https://soundcloud.com/user-297875533/may-5-2020-board-meeting-audio-recording

or, alternatively:

https://www.ebparks.org/about/meetings/default.htm
https://www.ebparks.org/about/meetings/2020___meeting_recordings/default.htm

Comments/observations (note: "listen @ min" to save some aggravation):

1. The Board Meeting was hampered by poorly developed conference call processes. Although I was able to make my 2.5 minute plea via cell phone (starting @ 10:10 minutes into the meeting recording - but not via my computer as planned), in general the public was not able to listen to the meeting (problem was reported @ 34:50 minutes).

2. Initially the three Public Comment speakers (I was #3) were put on hold for 45 minutes due to the non-public portion of the meeting running long (listen to the lengthy Fremont Police/Park Access discussion if you care to).

3. I believe I effectively made the case to reopen PI, but was informed that it doesn’t matter (conveyed @ 21:30 by GM Doyle).

4. It appears to me that EBRPD corporate counsel has opined that under the current Regional Health Order, PI must be considered a Dog Park and must remain locked down - as long as that order is in effect. Doyle made several comments about their mission being to increase public access to parks in the CV-Era, but specifically drew the line at PI, etc. Ironically, as of this coming Friday they plan to announce increased access to many other park sites, just not PI.

So, unless that Health Order is modified, we are out of luck.

Given that, my next step will be to contact the County Health Officials to see what can be done to modify or clarify their Health Order.

Thankfully, the winds then rose and I was able to alleviate some of my frustration out on The Bay.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commend your efforts. At times having tried is the best that can happen, and you did.
I have questions , while your motive is impressive, the better / majority part of me says that it’s too soon . My opinion, based on what could happen with the 2nd wave.
I have dealt with local government , where they can make decisions, my findings are that they have a foregone conclusion, and the community meeting is just window dressing.
Cheers.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2,

Thanks - I expect you are right.

I've got one more avenue to explore - but only after additional research.

Cheers, David
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruised by Cesar Chavez dog park yesterday. Wide open, no restrictions. How is Pt Isabel any different? I own a nice pair of bolt cutters.....
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "next avenue" was explored this past week.

Your Cesar Chavez (CC) observation is accurate (photo below). Both CC and Pt. Isabel covered by same Health Order.

I'll be suggesting how to address this access problem both via the PI user group and this thread, hopefully later today.

Meanwhile, had good session at HLS yesterday, albeit on 6.5/115L combo - roughly 4-5PM.

Cheers, David

IMG_5907.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.38 KB
 Viewed:  36221 Time(s)

IMG_5907.JPG

WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm if we close certain parks then the others become over-crowded???

What if all parks were open so everyone could spread out and social distance???

With enforced dog leash laws???

"It's like I'm taking crazy pills here". This is not rocket science!

The 2nd wave is inevitable, if not now then a month or three etc. down the road. With the homelessness in Cali projected to double from the pandemic it's best we take the parks back now before they become overrun with encampments and destroyed.

Keep up the good work David.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: