myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel Access Campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Missed u yesterday OTW?
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m still working on getting Pt. Isabel Regional Park reopened in a manner consistent with COVID Regional Health Order guidelines, safety, practicality, etc.

I intend again this coming week to present what I believe are compelling arguments in favor of EBRPD’s Board & Management reopening the park in some appropriately controlled and monitored manner.

However, it seems clear that absent additional pressure from concerned Park users - i.e. “The Public” - Park Management will continue to take the simplest, least risky, and least expensive approach. Specifically, keeping Pt. Isabel locked up for ANY public use.

However, that begs the question:

“Will Pt. Isabel be locked up for next several years until a COVID vaccine is widely available, or…..?”

I don’t think that’s the best approach.

If you agree, there are two meetings this coming week you can either submit Written Public Comments to, or in the case of the Board meeting on Tuesday, actually make your own verbal presentation (audio only via cell or computer - and IF they get their IT problems addressed from two weeks ago). It’s too late (probably) to sign up to speak at the Monday EBRPD Park Advisory Committee meeting. That meeting also is scheduled right during likely sailable hours.

However, you are also always free to send your own emails directly to members of the Board, as well as to General Manager Doyle. Their emails are public and listed on their website. As I noted earlier, Board Director Elizabeth Echols oversees Ward #1 which includes Pt. Isabel. She has been particularly supportive to our access concerns.

Unfortunately, the 22 members of the Park Advisory Committee do not have contact info listed. But if you know one of them you could always lobby directly (names and locales are listed).

For ease of access, here’s Doyle’s email:

Robert Doyle <bdoyle@ebparks.org>

[Look all the way below for my planned presentation document]

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Park Advisory Committee
Monday, May 18, 2020 4:00 p.m.
Agenda | Packet | Presentations

Pursuant to Governor Newsom’s Executive Order No. N-29-20 and the Alameda County Health Officer’s current Shelter in Place Order, effective March 31, 2020, the East Bay Regional Park District (“Park District”) Headquarters will not be open to the public and the Park Advisory Committee and staff will be participating in the meetings via phone/video conferencing.

Members of the public can listen to the meeting in the following way:
Via the Park District’s live audio stream, on the Park District’s YouTube channel, which can be found at:
https://youtu.be/vx-1DJ6WJBU

Public comments may be submitted one of two ways:
1. Via email to sclay@ebparks.org. Email must contain in the subject line public comments – not on the agenda or public comments – agenda item #.
2. Via voicemail at 510-544-2021. The caller must start the message by stating public comments – not on the agenda or public comments – agenda item# followed by their name and place of residence, followed by their comments.
3. If you are interested in speaking during Public Comments, please contact the Recording Secretary at sclay@ebparks.org for call in information by 3:00 pm on Friday, May 15, 2020. Email must contain in the subject line Park Advisory Committee meeting 5-18-20 call in request.

Comments received during the meeting and up until the public comment period on the relevant agenda item is closed and will be provided in writing to the PARK ADVIsoRY COMMITTEE, including transcribed voicemails. All comments received by the close of the public comment period will be available after the meeting as supplemental materials and will become part of the official meeting record. However, to ensure that the Board Members will be able to review your comments prior to the close of the meeting, please submit your public comment by no later than 3:00 pm on Friday, May 15, 2020. Please try to limit your written comments to no more than 300 words. The Park District cannot guarantee that its network and/or the site will be uninterrupted. To ensure that the Park District receives your comments, you are strongly encouraged to submit your comments in writing in advance of the meeting.

For future meetings, the Park District is exploring additional ways for the public to submit comments.

If you have any questions about utilizing the audio stream, please contact the Recording Secretary of the Committee, Sharon Clay at sclay@ebparks.org or 510-544-2021. To ensure the best opportunity for Park District staff to address your question, please contact the Recording Secretary prior to 3:00 pm on Friday, May 15, 2020.
xxxxxxxxxx

Board of Directors meeting
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:00 p.m.
Agenda | Packet | Notice | Presentations

Pursuant to Governor Newsom’s Executive Order No. N-29-20 and the Alameda County Health Officer’s Shelter in Place Orders, effective March 31, 2020 and May 4, 2020, the East Bay Regional Park District Headquarters will not be open to the public and the Board of Directors and staff will be participating in the Board meetings via phone/video conferencing.

Members of the public can listen to the meeting in the following way:
1.Via the Park District’s live audio stream which can be found at:
https://youtu.be/1sRSSu6cHNc

Public comments may be submitted one of three ways:
1. Via email to Yolande Barial Knight, Clerk of the Board, at ybarial@ebparks.org. Email must contain in the subject line public comments – not on the agenda or public comments – agenda item #.
2. Via voicemail at (510) 544-2016.The caller must start the message by stating public comments – not on the agenda or public comments – agenda item # followed by their name and place of residence, followed by their comments.
3. If you are interested in speaking during Public Comments, please contact the Clerk of the Board at ybarial@ebparks.org for call in information by 3:00 pm on Monday, May 18, 2020. Email must contain in the subject line Board meeting 5-19-20 call in request.

If you would like to provide public comment through the virtual meeting platform, please use https://zoom.us/j/99180711918 to participate. Note that this virtual meeting platform link will let you into the virtual meeting waiting room and then into the meeting for the purpose to provide comment. Please use the Youtube link https://youtu.be/1sRSSu6cHNc to observe the meeting when you are not providing public comment.

Comments received during the meeting and up until the public comment period on the relevant agenda item is closed, will be provided in writing to the Board of Directors, included transcribed voicemails. All comments received by the close of the public comment period will be available after the meeting as supplemental materials and will become part of the official meeting record. However, to ensure that the Board Members will be able to review your comments prior to the close of the meeting, please submit your public comment by no later than 3:00 pm on Monday, May 18, 2020. Please try to limit your written comments to no more than 300 words.

The Park District cannot guarantee that its network and/or the site will be uninterrupted. To ensure that the Park District receives your comments, you are strongly encouraged to submit your comments in writing in advance of the meeting.

For future meetings, the Park District is exploring additional ways for the public to submit comments.

If you have any questions about utilizing the audio stream, please contact the Clerk of the Board Yolande Barial Knight at ybarial@ebparks.org or 510-544-2020. Please contact Clerk’s office before 3:00pm on Monday May 18, 2020.

xxxxxxx

I’ll attach my draft Public Comment submission document below (intended for both meetings).

Meanwhile, some may be wondering whether I ever have time to actually windsurf?

Rest assured, yesterday at His Lords was great fun.

Cheers, David

Note: document below is missing photos, sorry...

xxxxxxxxxx

EBRPD Board Meeting
May 19, 2020

Planned Written Submission:

Following my Board presentation on May 5, 2020 objecting to the total closure of Pt. Isabel Regional Park for all public uses (inluding walking, biking, kayaking, bird watching, photography, fishing, windsurfing, etc) - apparently only in order to comply with the Health Order regarding "dog parks" - I did the following:

1. Contacted Health Officers for the East Bay region regarding their Health Order to inquire as to how the stricture regarding closure of "dog parks" was developed and is being applied. I communicated with Dr. Lisa Hernandez, Health Officer for the City of Berkeley, and with Dr. Chris Farnitano, Health Officer for Contra Costa County.

Here is Dr. Farnitano's reply:

xxxxxxxxxx

On May 9, 2020, at 4:09 PM, Chris Farnitano, M.D. <Chris.Farnitano@cchealth.org> wrote:

Mr. Fielder,
Dr. Hernandez shared your email with me, since Pt. Isabel park is within Contra Costa County. Dog parks are not allowed under the current stay at home order in Contra Costa County, since they are areas that promote gathering of individuals as well as animals. The Centers for Disease Control recommends avoiding pets from one household having contact with pets from other households, due to the risk of covid19 transmission now identified between dogs and cats and humans. The definition of what constitutes a dog park is being left to the administrators of the park, in this case the East Bay Regional Park district.

Chris Farnitano, MD
Health Officer, Contra Costa County

xxxxxxxxxx

2. I conducted an onsite survey of the two Berkeley sites publicly identified as "dog parks", specifically Cesar Chavez and Ohlone. The photos below document my observations on May 13th & 14th. Notably, Cesar Chavez remains open for regular public use, including by off-leash dog walkers, with signage advising physical distancing and caution-tape on all the picnic tables. Cesar Chavez is now "the only off-leash game in town", as both the Ohlone Dog Park and Pt. Isabel remain totally locked down (conveyed to me by the Cesar Chavez professional dog walker pictured below). These photos also highlight the important distinctions between Cesar Chavez and Ohlone "dog parks".

xxxxxxxxxxx

[Sorry, can't seem to manage photo insert process....
Four photos taken this past week at Cesar Chavez and Ohlone Parks in Berkeley]

xxxxxxxxxx

3. I undertook an informal survey of dog-loving park users, both online and in person. Not a single respondent thought that shuttering Pt. Isabel to all public use was the appropriate response to the Covid Pandemic, even if a controlled reopening necessitated crowd and dog-use mitigating measures.

Here is one representative response (cited with permission):

xxxxxxxxx

Miriam Maxwell, practicing East Bay Environmental Attorney:

"It’s crazy to completely close the park to all users just because it’s a designated off-leash dog park. Maybe the EBRP people think that people would flout the social distancing protocols? If so, all they would need to do is station a few park rangers there at the PIDO building who could monitor the situation- driving out to periodically check on adherence. Keep up the good fight!"

xxxxxxxx

In conclusion, the oft-cited mandatory closure of "dog parks" in the existing Regional Health order does not require a ban on all public use of Pt. Isabel Regional Park, nor even of appropriate dog access. That is a decision that is left up to and controlled by the EBRPD Board and Management.

I believe you have the duty to revisit that decision, as well as the means to effect a controlled and successful reopening of Pt. Isabel Regional Park to the public.

Your constituents deserve that.

David Fielder
Berkeley, CA

xxxxxxxxx
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David. Well reasoned argument!
Kiteburner

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please have EB park mgmt read this.

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR2uaJInywzmHGlBtt-p0QAuTBXxwinUDeUJD-qgAoUz7Q-BMJAq0Vt9oAA
Kiteburner

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article from an expert immunologist, explains how and why the infection spread risk is so low outdoors.

A very informative read. !!
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiteburner:

Precisely!

This is one of two articles I've been "sharing to the world" for about a week now. Excellent review of CV risk using dose/time analysis.

Here is link to the other article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/saving-your-health-one-mask-time-peter-tippett-md-phd/

I'll do my best to convey this info as well.

Thanks, David
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article David. I love that science shit
windsrf

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During today’s EBRPD Board Meeting, GM Doyle announced the planned intention to reopen Pt. Isabel Regional Shoreline on June 1st (at 1:39 PM on the meeting recording, presumably).

There will be access/use restrictions, but none that should impact us.

I’ll have more info later - but it’s blowing NOW!!

Cheers, David
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Point Isabel Park now open to windsurfers?
Its a long drive for me, so I wanted to make sure, thanks in advance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: