myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Freewave 75 TE 2020 review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Fanatic Freewave 75 TE 2020 review Reply with quote

I have had every Fanatic Freewave shape since 2005. Each board has its personnality, but they all had one thing in common: they were all plug&play boards; you set a foot on the board and you fell immediately at home.

There was an exception introduced in 2017 with the Freewave STB. Different look, different feel. People loved it or hated it. To make it more personal, I love my FW 2018 STB, but my wife hates it. The fact that there are still on the market new STB's suggests Fanatic didn't meet the success they anticipated with the STB.

Don't get me wrong the STB was a great board, but it's not the typical Fanatic Freewave most people expected: it shines in swell and freestyle, but it is a poor freeride performer and I would say more technical, being very sensitive to too much pressure on the back foot. I never do spinouts, except on the STB.

So, even though Fanatic talks about a refined STB for 2020, there is no doubt in my head that the new Freewave shape is a far departure from the STB. We're back to the FW we always loved.

(FW86 Classic 2017, FW75 2020, FW95 STB 2018)

Also welcomed, the 75L is back in the lineup. This is the one we got, the Freewave 75 Team Edition. Sylvie (my wife) was the first to try it on a 4.2. Full planing jibe on her first reach, 360 degrees smile on her face.I did get to try it a few days later on a 4.0, this board rips: quick to plane, fast, beautiful carver and very playful.

In fact, we love it so much that we already ordered the 95L.

Last edited by GuyT on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big guys love small stubbies.
So if you're small, you'd hate big stubbies.
At 155 lbs., I'd love the 75 stubbie and can almost uphaul it.
An 85 would compete with a 95 liter freeride board.
Width of tail and footstrap area determine the ride.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: New board Reply with quote

Guy fanatic must have listened to you Question
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou had the same "problem" 2 years ago.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you contact Fanatic again , tell them other colors exist aside from blue.
Lol.

Nice post.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
When you contact Fanatic again , tell them other colors exist aside from blue.
Lol.

Nice post.

it's slowly getting there Wink

wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2008 Fanatic FSW 104 L as a back up/wave board.
Looks very similar to your 2017 shape, funny how the swallow tail made a come back Smile
cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail on a 2018 Fanatic 105-liter STB (my first Fanatic board after years of Mistral Flow 276).

The Fanatic STB planes easily but is slower (top-speed) and spins out easily (I use only 1 fin). Perhaps I need the other 2 slot fins.

It does two things really well:
1. Handles a very wide range of wind conditions (I can be on a 4.5m to 6.4m sails)
2. Handles chop in Coyote/Crissy/Sherman Island really well. I feel more in control than my previous board.

If it had a bit more top-speed (and was less prone to spin out), it would be perfect.
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookie wrote:
I sail on a 2018 Fanatic 105-liter STB (my first Fanatic board after years of Mistral Flow 276).

The Fanatic STB planes easily but is slower (top-speed) and spins out easily (I use only 1 fin). Perhaps I need the other 2 slot fins.

It does two things really well:
1. Handles a very wide range of wind conditions (I can be on a 4.5m to 6.4m sails)
2. Handles chop in Coyote/Crissy/Sherman Island really well. I feel more in control than my previous board.

If it had a bit more top-speed (and was less prone to spin out), it would be perfect.

I agree 100% with you on the STB, you pretty much nailed it.

On the 2019 STBs, Fanatic moved the center fin box a bit forward (1 cm), making it a bit harder to spin out.

What works for me to avoid the spinouts on my 2018 STB is to use a bigger center fin than I would use with small thrusters (10 cm).

One thing for sure, spinouts are behind with the 2020's. I was reading a test review in a mag from France and they insisted very much on that point.
mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have fin spinout issues with the Fanatic Freewave stubbies I highly recommend contacting Dennis Parton at Tectonics. He made several fins for me with the fin set forward in the base. He offers both wave with thrusters and single fin freeride fin setups. He did not even charge me an extra set up fee for the fin location change. His fins are more expensive than stock fins, $160 for a wave fin and $195 for a single freeride, but the performance is well worth the extra cost.

For more detail go to the Fanatic forum and read the thread "Fin Setup for the Fanatic STB to prevent spin-out". There also are several other threads regarding his fins posted by Dmilovich. While I don't need them for where I sail, he also apparently makes really good weed fins.

As I said to Dennis in my opinion the Fanatic STB is a great board. It just needs a really great fin. Or fins if you like a trifin setup.

I have the 2017 STB 105 liter. Because of spin-out issues Fanatic did move the power box forward on the 2019 models by about 11 mm. I verified this by measuring one at my local shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: