myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Freewave 75 TE 2020 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gret info Mark, wish I had that information a few weeks ago, just bought a couple of Tectonics fins Sad

That 11 mm makes a difference, according to the Windsurf UK mag:

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/fanatic-freewave-stb-te-105l-2019-test-review/
mark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

I don't think you will be disappointed with the B1 fin in the stock position. I also rode my board with and without the 11 cm Beastie thrusters. They seem to help with the spin out issues. I also ordered a 32 cm Falcon Freeride fin with the fin moved forward 12 mm. I should have that early next week and will comment after I get a chance to ride it.
GuyT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I think the Beasties will be fine too , it's the weed fins I bought that I wish they could have been be more forward.

Just between you and I, it is surprising that Fanatic came out with a board that had such a major flaw. Maybe it would be a good idea if companies tested their prototypes with Average Joes Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 really good sailors I know use the Stubbie 70 % of their windsurfing days. They say it's the cat's meow.
mark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those really good windsurfers can make the stock fins work particularly if they have good freestyle skills. It is the rest of us back foot heavy average Joes that need the help provided by better fins.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like the newbie windsurfer who buys a dedicated slalom board and tells everyone....."it's lousy, turns terrible, is high strung, is very weakly built,and constantly goes out from under me.."
GuyT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Kinda like the newbie windsurfer who buys a dedicated slalom board and tells everyone....."it's lousy, turns terrible, is high strung, is very weakly built,and constantly goes out from under me.."

Don't think the "kind of like"applies here , dlee.

The STB is a great board, is simply not the typical Freewave board most people expected from Fanatic. Like I said, I have owned every Fanatic Freewave shape since 2005. The first time I rode the Freewave STB, I felt very strange, far from what I expected from a Fanatic freewave.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems EVERY good freestyler loves the stubbie.
But I don't like it at all, unless at 75kgs. I use a 75 liter stubbie with a 19" main and 10cm bites.
mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

Yesterday after a good day at day at one of our local sites I counted 7 2020 Fanatic Freewaves on shore ranging from 75 to 95 liters. I took a closer look at Kevin Kan's board who owns Sunset Sailboards. I noticed he and several others who are also very good sailors have the stock thrusters set at the very back of the boxes. It may be worth trying that and maybe also on the STB. The Tectonics Beastie thrusters do have more rake which in effect moves the CRL a bit further. back. I am not saying that the stock fins are in the same league as the Tectonics but for people on a budget replacing the center fin and keeping the stock thrusters may be a cost effective solution to spinout.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestyler's lean on front foot...like windfoilers...run mast base back, use high booms to weight mast base, run small sails, and lean the board, windward rail down to go upwind.
That is a different style from freeride or slalom windsurfing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: