myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Aftermarket clips for MauiSails carbon wave with 27mm arms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Aftermarket clips for MauiSails carbon wave with 27mm arms Reply with quote

I picked up a pair of MauiSails Carbon Wave booms that needs new adjustment clips. The carbon arm diameter is 27mm and the pins are 2cm on centers. Does anyone know of aftermarket or substitute clips that will work on these booms? It looks like Chinook clips are available for boom arms of that diameter. Has anyone been down this road and found a solution?
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older NP x9 clip on one side of one of my booms. It is close, but not exact diameter fit. The pins do line up nicely. It is best to find the real thing if possible.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask why not buy MS replacement parts. I've done it a few times myself. It seems to be something that's required every so often with usage.

I've done it with my older HPL, and I was probably lucky to get replacement housing/clips.
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not MauiSails clips? Boom clips aren't rocket science, they're just pins pushed into holes. You'd think it would be simple to make a sturdy clip, but MauiSails seems to have trouble making it happen. The broken clips on the booms I bought failed too easily. Since MS gets $42 for a pair of clips maybe they planned in the obsolescence to create a revenue stream. If Chinook has a nearly identical clip for the same diameter arm tubing with pins space at the same distance and they retail for 50% less than the MS's clips, then I want to know about it. Chinook has a reputation for making especially durable products that are sourced easily. MS does make superb boom heads. ......boom clips and boom grips....not so much.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you're right that MS clips are not that robust, and I will admit that the grip on the initial release of the boom was quite soft (I had mine replaced with sturdier Chinook black grip). However, the last set of clips I bought was only $25 a set, and I bought a couple sets. They used to be more, but that was because you had to buy the housings and the clips together as a set. That's no longer required. I've found that the housings do not wear out.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure those Chinook clips, which I believe the 27mm diameter are for their reduced diameter grip booms, are metal. A couple of years ago they switched to composite pins for their Pro1 booms, and those have tended to need replacing every so often, as they eventually break off. They took a good thing and made it worse, never had problems with the metal pins.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook used to have single pin metal clips. Those would elongate the holes in carbon booms over time, which was not great. I had to cut a few cm off the end of one boom when things got too bad.

They then switched to double plastic pins. The plastic was softer (or more fragile) than the carbon, so they did not elongate the holes in the boom anymore, but the pins would eventually break off. Typically, just one pin would break off, so the boom still worked well enough for the remained of the session. But I must have replaced about 10 clips over the years. At some point, rumors were they were using a better plastic, but they switched to the metal pins a year or two later. I have not used those yet, and wonder if they'll elongate the holes in the boom again. Maybe at most half as much as single pins did?
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the ones I've been considering.....but there seems to have been some photoshop work done in the pin area of the photo: https://chinooksailing.com/collections/boom-parts-accessories/products/boom-collar-set-2-pin-27mm-rdg

I can't determine the composition of the pins from the photo. I guess I will need to call Chinook Monday.

Here is Boardsports offer for Mauisails clips: https://boardsportscalifornia.com/product/maui-sails-boom-clips/

https://isthmussailboards.com/aeron-26x-boom-clip-each.html

Last edited by thombiz on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardsports is selling a set consisting of the clips and housings, like MS used to many years ago. Not an unfair price, but why buy the housings as part of the buy.

I have to say that I've bought my replacement parts online at MS's website over the years. Again, MS now offers to sell just clips alone, and that's probably all you need. I seriously doubt that a Chinook alternative would cost any less.
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check with MS to see if I can get just the pins pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: