myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dakine Contour Footstrap questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Dakine Contour Footstrap questions Reply with quote

Just going back to Dakine Contour footstraps which I used to love and the back strap is really not comfortable for me. I tried flipping it around both ways but there are no instructions to tell you whether the wider end goes to the front or the rear... assumed front since there is more volume of foot there. Can anyone confirm? Also, anyone have any good trick as to how to get a 1/2 step in strap sizing? For the front straps, I jumped it from the rear hole in back to the middle hole in front to get a wider entry and more room for foot twist but on one side it is just a bit too tight but probably too loose if I make it looser by using the next set of holes on the end of the strap. Toying with putting a spacer in, but don't want to mess up the anti-twist function.

Peter

IMG_6173.JPEG
 Description:
 Filesize:  620.32 KB
 Viewed:  25499 Time(s)

IMG_6173.JPEG

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct side gives higher arch.
Backwards gives flatter arc.
Wider plastic washers for micro adj.
Keeping screws tight every 3 days cures twist for me.
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my setup. Front straps have "Dakine" upside down. Back strap has "Dakine" right side up looking from the right hand side of the board (wide part in back). You need to flip your back strap. Hope that makes sense.

I find that it is better to make these straps looser rather than tighter. Safer to ensure that your foot doesn't get stuck in the strap in a crash.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mount my single rear strap with the wide end aft, because I push against the back of the strap when driving upwind. I can usually overcome any arch mismatch by shaping it with hand force (gets dicey on a full plane Very Happy ) until the strap capitulates. I also stuff tennis balls in the straps when transporting the board just to remind the straps who's boss.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo you posted is correct iMO. But someone is bound to prefer them round the other way. Why don’t you write / call Da Kine ?

These core contour footstraps offer a unique setup for your windsurfing board. The front foot straps have forward angle that fit the shape of your foot, while the back foot strap has a tapered outline that works like an offset strap on both tacks. They offer great comfort and fit, nearly even feel like they are hugging your feet!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always set up my rear strap with the narrow part in front. With regards to calling Dakine you may not have much luck. They have closed down their Hood River offices and moved everything go California. I've been telling people to stock up on your Dakine products you love. It looks like they dropping their wind sport related products.
ss59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Core Contours as they have a fair amount of stretch which I like for waves, but I have snapped a fair few as the rubber seems to get brittle! I'm now not convinced they are that suitable for wave/FreeWave boards where you are lifting through the strap really.

I set mine so to give a positive connection to the board with my back foot across the centreline - not tight, but not loose either.

I always see people have wider bit of the back strap at the back. To my logic, however, to make the strap to be like an asymmetric foot strap set up, it makes more sense to have the wider bit to the front so you can angle your foot forward in the bottom turn.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions are one thing, your personal style and use another. Set it as it feels best to you. Personally, I set my rear foot at 45deg, hugging the front of the strap with the inside of my foot and curling toes up to reach under and hook the strap with me.

Because my big toe reaches farther to the other side I'd have the fat part forward and skinny back so my little toe can still curl up on the other side of the strap.

Tightening those firm may cause to cut/tear prematurely unfortunately. Check my anti twist video of you need.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there's your experts' definitive answer, Thorner: Like most (not all*) choices in this crazy sport, experiment to see what works best for YOU.

* I once saw a guy who planed through his jibes pretty consistently showing a guy on the beach how to do it. ALL of us, including him, were a bit amazed how flat WRONG his footwork was, even though it got the job done for him ... so far.

He carved his turn by removing one foot from his straps, placing it on the rail while leaving the other foot in its strap, and weighting the rail. Sounded normal until we realized he has, for years, been moving his FRONT foot to the opposite rail to carve his jibes, thinking that was normal and proper.

Maybe there are no bad dogs, but by golly there are universally wrong ways to do a few things in windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the best 2 jibers, both top speed sailors around here, at 190 and 235 lbs., both planed out of jibes like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: