myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsup users - is it me or the equipment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That explains a lot. You may as well be using a postage stamp, as a 4.8 is for winds averaging in the mid to upper 20s --- i.e., winds 5 to 10 times as powerful as your 8-15 mph (averages, I presume). That's why you have to hold it up, rather than the other way around. You don't need (and shouldn't expect) to go blasting about like everybody else, but you do need more hamsters on your wheel to develop a feel for anything. Sounds like time for a L.I. swap meet, a bigger sail, and some pro lessons. (Until you find the latter, there are many good instructional videos available.)

Thanks for this feedback. I was debating between the 4.8 and 5.8 as a place to start and got the advice to go smaller when I purchased. I'll keep an eye out for more equipment and take some lessons and keep at it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anna1, although it's unlikely that the 4.8 will get you planing in the very light wind conditions you've been experiencing, it will still give you the ability to learn sail handling and necessary tacking skills in the turns while being easy to uphaul.

In planning for the future, I would recommend picking up a larger RAF sail in the 5.7-6.3 size range. In the old days, that was the general range of standard sail sizes that usually came with the longer boards of the time. My F2 Strato came with a 5.7.

I would be sure to get a more traditional sail with 5-6 battens, because that will add to the sail's stability and its ability to handle more powered conditions. Also, it's likely that you will need a longer mast (430cm) to go with the larger sail, and in addition, you need to determine whether your existing boom can handle the longer clew length.

Good luck with lessons, if you elect to take that path. While taking lessons, you might find that ABK will have some larger sails to test out that will help you decide what to buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: