myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2020 fanatic Blast 115
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: 2020 fanatic Blast 115 Reply with quote

So I posted asking about the Blast 115 back in 2017 and got positive input.
I finally got one in March 2020 and have half a season on it. I mostly sail 5.5 at my local small but windy lake. If your are interested in this board, read the reviews from Windsurf mag. I would add that its as good as my all time favorite free ride board the Rocket 115 and that is saying a lot. The blast might be easier to sail if the water is ruff. It turns excellent in chop with little bonce if you get it on the rail. Its fast, planes early and is easy and fun to sail. Not overly impressed with the stock fin. Its ok and didn't spin out. It whistled and felt a bit draggy. I tried all the sanding tricks on the fin but didn't help. Put in a Black Project Dragon fin and that bump up performance a bit with no annoying whistle
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one as well and agree with your comments - a great board. Planes up easily ( I typically use a 7.0) and the (relatively) narrow width makes jibing easy. As they say, its a 'fast freeride' board. A couple of other sailors bought one after seeing me blast around and they are happy as well.

I also found the stock fin not that great. I dropped in a 41cm slalom fin (S1 Slam EVO) and it woke the board up in my typical 15-20mph conditions.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 Rocket 115 boards that I sold and replaced each year. In 2017 Tabou changed the shape on this classic free ride board. I demoed the new shape and thought it wasn't as good as the earlier boards. I sailed Starboard, JP, RRd and Goya all in the 115 range. All good boards but couldn't keep up with my friends Rocket (that I sold him). My Blast does and I can get him in the turns once in awhile. I might be a tad faster off the wind but we are close up wind. Also the blast seems to be more controllable as the wind picks up and the water gets choppy. At that point I would jump on my 3S 96. Don't seem to change boards as often now...
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask how much you weigh? I'm looking for something in that size range and I'm 200+ lbs.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am 165lbs. I am sailing in gusty and marginal conditions, typically, with this board, <20mph so I find the volume just right. It was a handful when I tried to sail 4.2 , though...

Roughly, 1L=2.2lbs , so an equivalent board for you would be the 130L Blast ( the 130L is foil ready, if that matters to you)
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roughly, 1L=2.2lbs , so an equivalent board for you would be the 130L Blast ( the 130L is foil ready, if that matters to you)

I'm sailing in rough water in the Great Lakes and 130L starts to become a handful. Guess I wondered if any bigger guys have sailed that board. Thanks,

loopless

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly planes up quickly and handles chop pretty well.
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
Can I ask how much you weigh? I'm looking for something in that size range and I'm 200+ lbs.

A little off topic for this board, but I considered Fanatic Blast in this size (never tried it) but I was looking for something a bit more uphaulable in rough conditions since my spot sometimes requires it due to poor winds at the launch site (L Michigan), so I got a Severne Fox 120, which is 4 cm wider. Its a great performer in rough conditions for that size a board.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been talked about a bunch but if you can get hold of a Tabou 3s Not the 3s plus in 116 give it a ride. I am 165 lbs and love my 3S 96 when I need control and a smooth ride...Not as fast top end as the Blast but control equals speed..
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Brian_S wrote:

A little off topic for this board, but I considered Fanatic Blast in this size (never tried it) but I was looking for something a bit more uphaulable in rough conditions since my spot sometimes requires it due to poor winds at the launch site (L Michigan), so I got a Severne Fox 120, which is 4 cm wider. Its a great performer in rough conditions for that size a board.

I’ve heard the Fox is a great board, I definitely considered it. Great in chop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: