myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurf foil board and foil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wavedave38

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: windsurf foil board and foil Reply with quote

I am looking to get into foiling and need feedback on foil boards and decent foils to go with them. I weight 198 , advanced windsurfer. I want something that is versatile to use in low winds of 10-15 mph that I can use a 5 meter and down to do carving maneuvers on but still blast around on larger freerace sails if speed is my desire that day. I have been looking at starboards foilx 145, slingshot freestyle or wizard however I feel the freestyle volume might be a bit to low at 115 but I love the that they put both the tracks and tuttle on the board to make it adjustable to needs. I also need ideas of what foils to put on the board , ones that allow you to change out the wings etc etc.

In any case I am not adverse to other brands of boards and foils , just trying to navigate through all the info to make an educated decision based on facts.
Thanks
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many brands are about to come out with new gear for the next year, and several brands (including Slingshot) are ditching the tuttle box on their new models, offering only tracks.

I'm about the same weight as you are, with about 130 foil sessions since I started a year ago. Foiling has definitely expanded the number of days on the water; many days that would have been too light or gusty before are now fun days on the water. Often, my wife on her wing foil and I are the only ones on the water, while a day with wind > 20 mph will draw a crowd of 20 or more.

Your goal of using a 5 meter sail in 10-15 mph wind is a rather ambitious goal, if you use iWindsurf meter readings. I typically use a 5.6 m in 15 mph, and a 6.5 in 12-13 mph. Measured with a hand-held meter on shore, though, the numbers are lower. With a handheld meter, I need readings from 10-12 mph for the 6.5, and drop to the 5.6 when readings are above 12 mph. That's in onshore wind with a good fetch.

The SS freestyle 115 may be a good board for anyone doing freestyle on the foil, but I doubt that you'd have much fun learning on it. It is narrower (71 cm) than other foil boards, even more so in the tail, which makes learning foil jibes harder, and requires more skill for stable flight. But it's also quite short (6'2") and low volume, so tacking is not easy, either.

Learning is easiest with a board at least 75 cm wide, and with plenty of volume. At you weight and with the goal of foiling in 10-15 mph on a small sail, you'll need a foil with at least 1700-2000 square cm area. From Slingshot, that would be a Infinity 84 or 99 (with the 99 being more popular for heavy riders / light wind). If you don't use a Slingshot board, check the foot strap arrangements on your board compared to the Wizards. The i84, for example, was useable in my old 71 cm slalom board, but works a lot better after I put tracks into the board so the wing can be more forward.

Besides the Slingshot foils, consider the Starboard SuperCruiser and the NP Glide foils. With the Glide foils, though, I think you'd need to buy the larger XL front wing separately. If you're willing to spend more and go for a carbon foil, there are additional good choices.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have foiled both Sling Shot and Naish gear. Started on SS. I could never get the SS gear balanced the way I wanted because of the fixed foil mount.
Naish with the track mount is super easy to adjust to your weight, sail, front wing size and riding style. Small adjustments make a big difference. I feel every foil board should have an adjustable foil track. Board volume is your friend while learning. You need enough float to be able to up haul. As your skills increase on the foil you can use sails large enough to water start. For me foiling is about using a small sail in light wind and blasting around the lake . Right now foil designs are really getting good. That said you might need 2 front wings. One for early lift to get you going on that small sail and one to hold a bigger sail and blast at high speed. I would go with a high lift wing to learn. They will get you going at lower board speeds and have slower stall speed. Making turns a bit easier. Naish came out with a line of high aspect foils this year. A 1400 and 1800. I was riding a 1250 and decide to try the 1800 HA. The early lift on that wing was really good. Front to back stability is excellent and top speed is better. Might be a bit stiffer in the turns but its not an issue. I don't turn all that good anyway. I stay dry most of the time. So a Bigger high aspect wing might fit you for small sail and early lift and high speed with a large sail.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider the JP Freefoil in the 130L size. It's 207 cm long/77 cm wide and has both a deep tuttle as well as dual tracks. It's both nimble and maneuverable and easy to tack. It can easily hold up to a 7 meter sail if you want to go for power and speed. This board is also excellent for learning to wing with. As for foils I find the Moses foils to be excellent and so light as compared to Slingshot or Naish foils.

JP_Australia-FreeFoil_PRO-2020-deck.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  413.21 KB
 Viewed:  24518 Time(s)

JP_Australia-FreeFoil_PRO-2020-deck.png

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that JP looks like a Naish Micro Hover.....
Remember, a flat decked windfoil board is never going to be a preferred windsurfing board. Flat deck kills your ankles.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still wonder which old boards can be used to try this out
someone told me to just re-enforce the finbox on my JP SLW92
others say - buy an old Starboard Formula 155
what do i know Sad
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa, are you still avoiding getting into the footstraps while planing?

If you want to consider using a foil, the first thing that you should probably consider is a dual track foil attachment setup so that you can fine tune foil placement for optimum fore/aft balance. With that kind of tuning, I think that would put you in a better position to avoid strap use and get the most out of it.

I have to say though, I have zero experience using a foil, so what do I know? I'm just listening to folks that seem to be moving on in the sport. Things are changing quickly, so I would get the latest development rather than going back and modifying a older board that was designed for a more traditional fin arrangement.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footstraps ?
i heard and saw many foil without footstraps Smile
and yes, been getting front foot in

as I already longboard in the lighter winds
i wonder how many longboarders jump on the foil wagon
the technology has moved forward greatly
but is it ready for the "average joe windsurfer" ??

and this post is more about what is the best windfoil board
the idea of both fin box AND tracks makes a lot of sense to me
and once again, but what do i know Smile
Wavedave38

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

I currently have a fanatic jag 125 with reinforced foil box and I am sure it would work however with the rails not being tucked in the nose area I feel any pitches forward will not be forgiving as the new foil boards with beveled rails in the front to allow to bounce off water a lot more easily avoiding a face plant catapult.
As I mentioned I am looking at starboards foilx 145 or the jp freefoil 130 . I like the jp in that it has both the track and the tuttle box options where is the starboard doesnt .

also out of starboard, jp and fanatic which foil would be best for 125 to 135 liter board , basically light winds from 10 to 20 max. (Carbon ) Something that has the ability to change out the wings, masts etc and has top notch construction?

dllee did make a point about the deck being so flat . Why is that, unless when riding them you are more upright standing over the board versus out on the rail . which makes me believe these are for light winds standing upright. I can see how going fast on the outside strap position could be harder on the ankles and knees since you cannot wrap foot around the edge of board to leverage the foil. Any thought on this besides my board recommendation.

Thanks Very Happy
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can up haul your 125 comfortably Just get a a nice size foil and go for it. You are going to crash no matter what board you get. I would tell you not to use a harness or the straps for your first few sessions. That way when you foil out your crashes are pretty mellow with way less chance of injury. You do not need to invest in a high end carbon foil. The new aluminum masts and fuselages are really good and way less expensive. Most wings are carbon anyway. My new Naish foils are great and are pretty lite. At your weight you would need a large front wing in 1800 to 2200 to fly in your wind range. High aspect wings are faster and really glide thru lulls. Low aspect wings might lift earlier and might turn a bit better...Foiling will reduce you need for super big sails and greatly increase your time on the water. You should pad the nose of your board to reduce the chance of damage. NIS has very nice pads to fit any board. last thought is mast size. If you have deep water at you site go with a 85 or longer mast. This will increase your control time from lift off to foil out. 90cm is the standard around here with some guys using over 100cm masts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: