myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question for people using 2019 DaKine T8 harness.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Question for people using 2019 DaKine T8 harness. Reply with quote

Any of you folks out there using the newer DaKine T8 harness? The one with the padded, non-sliding spreader bar?

I'm curious because I just bought one and am having crazy difficulty in getting unhooked from my lines. While I would occasionally get re-hooked at inopportune times with my T-6, I would at least generally be able to unhook from it while jibing. It was very rare to feel locked in and have it complete mess up the timing of the jibe.

Today was my second time out trying to use this harness. I was thinking that maybe I'd just have get used to it. While that may be possible, the number of slams I'll take while on the road to adjustment might just kill me. Getting a clean unhooking would be the huge exception to the rule. I've never had such issues with a harness.

My harness lines are 28", so I ordered a set of 30" lines. Sadly, they are backordered. I won't try the T8 again until I get those lines. In the same order I ordered a two-strap hook with the locking tab. I may end up having to use a conventional spreader bar that doesn't have that pad. My other option is spending another $50 on a slider setup that will work with the T-8 while it's still available.

So, is it just me? Or does the design of the T8 somehow move the spreader hook into a position that the lines just don't want to release? Any input is appreciated. I've been using DaKine harnesses for 30 years and have never experienced this. Fortunately, my T6 is still usable. I just wanted to "upgrade" to a new improved model. Confused
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you somehow get the DaKine hammerhead kite bar with your harness?
it is designed with a wider "point" so that your chicken loop doesn't accidentally release as easily as with the hook on the windsurfing spreader bars.

hammerhead.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.09 KB
 Viewed:  24522 Time(s)

hammerhead.jpg

theq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, hilton08. No, it included the proper hook for windsurfing. The hook is like the common windsurfing hook, but now includes a brace or two welded between the sides (Like the kiter design in that regard.). But those braces wouldn't matter.

I'm thinking that perhaps the harness stays lower better than my T6 and the 30" harness lines will get me back to where I feel more comfortable. And maybe, just maybe, the 30" lines are sold out because other people are having the same issue?

FWIW, I'm about 5'11" and do mostly wave-sailing. I know that most of the guys I know have been moving towards the Pritchard/Hall theory of longer lines. The 28" ones I've been using were a step longer than the 26" I'd been using before. I can't recall if I went longer to be more comfortable in the T6, but it is possible.

Thanks again.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the harness sat lower you'd notice it when trying to hook in like youd need to get on your tip toes. Sometimes I feel my lines hitting the top of my hook. Usually messing around in very light winds where I need to bring my hips forward to balance.

When you unhook the hook should rest a touch farther down and away from the lines. If your lines swing or point out this could cause accidental hookins. The white Dakine lines start swinging when worn. You may thicken the boom tube with inner tube to reduce swing.

I do also feel like each harness had it's sweet spot with adjustment. I mean a slight variation of tension translate to longer or shorter lines. Padding on the bar adds distance, etc.

How do you set your boom height? Using a different board? Boards have different buoyancy and mast track distances.

jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Question for people using 2019 DaKine T8 harness. Reply with quote

theq wrote:
Any of you folks out there using the newer DaKine T8 harness?
I bought a T8 for the season as backup for a T7 which I still use (It's the old design still). I didn't take any formal measurements, but my casual impression is that the new design with all the extra padding has the harness hook further out than the older design. If anything, you may actually have more luck going with shorter lines to compensate for the greater offset of he new design.
theq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. That's interesting that you may be going shorter to eliminate a similar situation, jpf15.

While I'll be the first to admit that my jibing technique may have something to be desired, and I did occasionally get re-hooked mid-jibe, it doesn't happen with the T6 in anywhere near the same degree as the new T8. My biggest issue with it is having difficulty unhooking. It's crazy. I give it a big hoisting effort and yet it seems to stay attached without another huge effort, or two. That really messes with critical timing in the jibe.

I am using a different board this year, but all is well when I use the T6, all other things being equal. I'd like to set the harness up with a conventional non-padded spreader-bar before seeking further answers. Unfortunately, my supplier doesn't plan on sending the hardware I need to convert until they get the 30" lines in. I may call them today to see if they can ship separately. It's a small item, so maybe they will. Until then, it's T6 time. Cheers.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will your old Spreader Bar work on your t-8?

Just wondering.

-Craig
theq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Will your old Spreader Bar work on your t-8?

Just wondering.

-Craig

No, not without changing the attachment hooks at the sides. Old one is sliding bar. New one is stationary, with double webbing sides. I will be able to once I get the new hooks from my supplier. Other possibility is to get a "Maniac" setup, but there aren't may available. But even that has the padded bar setup which might end up with the same problem. Using an old style bar is probably what I'll do. But again, I have to change the hooks at the sides of the harness, as the attachment design to the spreader has changed. Thanks for your input.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hook shape looks different than my windsurfing hooks. More bent in at the bottom
theq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
That hook shape looks different than my windsurfing hooks. More bent in at the bottom

Are you looking at the kiting hook that the image was posted of above? I'll attach an image below of the spreader on my T8.

DSC06711.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  657.87 KB
 Viewed:  24439 Time(s)

DSC06711.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: