myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hurricane Teddy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Hurricane Teddy Reply with quote

Heading out to Cape Cod tomorrow morning (Tuesday). Hopefully Wind Advisory verifies with Hurricane Teddy's passage offshore in the PM. Thinking Corporation or Chapin (never been)? High tide is at 4 PM, so there should be enough water.

Lars
braden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricanes are tightly wound and often don't do much beyond 100 miles or so. Models treat them like other storms and overestimate their distant effects. High pressure to north keeps on giving, though, so best of luck.
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High tide at Chapin particularly with N wind will be too deep on the bar to make waves. Better to shoot for half. NNW is a difficult direction at Corporation. Good luck.
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it difficult on NNW? To me it would seem that would be the ideal direction. Depending on how it looks tomorrow morning may stop at Sandwich first and may launch there.

Lars

corp.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.02 KB
 Viewed:  40287 Time(s)

corp.JPG

jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, in a big storm, Chapin bar should break at high tide. In all my years of sailing there, I can't ever remember shorebreak at Chapin launch, meaning the waves must be breaking on the bar.

Lars, Between Chapin, Mayflower and Corp, you should be able to find a good launch. Chapin faces a bit more west than Mayflower, so in NNW you can port tack launch.
JP
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, your sat image in a NNW is a good view to see the setup for the walk of shame. Corp is more of a NW wind spot. Big hill close to shore makes a wind hole east of Corp. And the waves will push you in if you're not powered 110%
JP
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also thinking about going to the Cape for waves, no idea where in this wind direction....Wish it would make its mind up and go one way or another...
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay zactly on Corp. NNW couple of backside hits and then the long walk of shame. Very envious of kiters who seem to be able to stay upwind in those conditions like a skatepark.
DrWind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed for about 3.5 hours nonstop at Corporation Beach on the 4.0. Wind was NNW 30-45 mph. Was able to get out and stay upwind and was able to avoid the walk of shame. Sailed between Mayflower and Sesuit Harbor. Best conditions were just north west of the Corporation Beach rock jetty. Did see several Mola Mola (Sunfish) in the break there, their large dorsal fins looked like a shark from a distance. Someone took pictures and had left a note on my windshield with a phone number. Of course as I grabbed it, the wind blew the note out of my fingers. Here is some footage I found on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=338342760930345&extid=7UWojjFCWukQ4xNL

Lars
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you had success.
I ended up Sup surfing in RI, Waves were great. Would have been sailable in one spot with the NW, but too many surfers were out. https://www.instagram.com/p/CFf5pVkji7F/

The spot you noted as good conditions is rarely sailed. 20 or so years ago I sailed out of Howes beach in a ene with Number9 and John Grady and hung out there. Suzyq might have been there as well.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: