myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mast base position
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
combs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: mast base position Reply with quote

Have a question for the forum: What dictates where you position your mast base plate? I have come across two schools of thought and wondering which is more appropriate, or if there are other theories out there:

1. Mast base should be positioned to reflect the size of the sail being used, i.e move base forward for bigger sails, move base aft for smaller sails.

2. Mast base should be positioned to reflect how powered you are going to be for the expected conditions, i.e. move mast base forward when overpowered, move mast base aft when under powered.

Do you adjust your mast base position? If so, when and why??
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what is comfortable and balanced for for you and your sailing style. Base position, harness line position. foot strap position and sail size all need to be set up so that your riding balanced. Board flat on the water and the harness taking most of the load. Adjust things until it all works for you...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once adjusted for a given board, I never bother to change it over the board's full sail range. That is (was?) also Robby Naish's preference. Is that optimal? I dunno; I just wanna go windsurfing, and I may plug several sails into a board if the wind is highly variable. Unless we'e racing for big bucks we can cover a lot of sins with stance, weight bias, etc.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/
Under mast foot positioning, everything you need to know.
Under normal circumstances a rule of thumb is 1cm adjustment per sail size.

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also....
Top freestylers place their mast base around 17" from the center of their front straps.
Slalom pros closer to 24".
Wave sailors around 18".
Freeride around 21.5.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjust the base when I get a new board. Moving it forward pushes the nose of the board down & moving it back lets the nose/board ride a little higher. My wave & freestyle boards tend to have it back while slalom & freeride have it more forward.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Just do what is comfortable and balanced for for you and your sailing style. Base position, harness line position. foot strap position and sail size all need to be set up so that your riding balanced. Board flat on the water and the harness taking most of the load. Adjust things until it all works for you...

What he said and me

I don’t normally change, it’s centered. Certain boards that I’ve owned I had to made adjustments, including going to a single bolt to allow more adjustments .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that sometimes an inch can make or break a small board. We tested a Seatrend sinker decades ago that beat the hell out of us with the mast in the center of the track. 1" further forward dramatically improved its ride in chop. That suggests experimenting with mast base positioning on a new board until it feels optimized, then Gorilla Glueing it in place. Not literally, of course, but you get the picture.
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I never bother to change it
Same here (One caveat, this is for shortboards up to ~130l). I use the Chinook base plates. Procedure when I get a new board every few years: Remove base plate from old board, transfer to new board, position around the middle of the track, screw down. Forget about it other than checking screws are tight ever so often.
I've long given up on the boards' sail ranges. Say a 90l board is advertised 4.0 to 6.5. To me that's 4.5 to 5.5 at best, sweetspot 5.0/5.2. Beyond that, the angles are off no matter how much you try reach and stretch or hunker or make adjustments on the beach.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the board. On my biggest gear, 5.7, in marginal wind, one board needs the base forward to get upwind and loses speed. My hugest board 99 Carve does good with base back. Less wetted surface more speed. My smaller boards work good in the middle. Smallest board I'm not racing. Experiment. Guy I sail with always complaining the tracks are too far back?? Shocked Maybe more important to move your footstraps fore or aft than the base if something doesn't feel right ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: