myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mast base position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most boards, and I rotate through 20, back strap back, front straps forward, and mast base set for disipline.
Wave, 18"
Freeride and foil, 21.5.
Slalom, 23.5"
From center of front straps.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that complicates and plays with the whole idea of an ideal universal placement must factor in the positions of the footstraps. I think that too many footstrap choices can complicate everything greatly.

Over time, I've liked the concept of less footstrap positions, and I have relied on the designer builder's placement of the optimum footstrap arrangement relative to the board's rockerline. As a result, I could essentially place the universal centered in the mast track and everything was always very balanced.

I will admit that all my boards were customs where I let the designer builder craft the boards. However, with the production boards today, it can be hard to figure out what is best because there are way too many footstrap choices and you don't know what the designer's ideal positioning would be.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I tend to leave mine in the same place most of the time.
and it depends on the board. For example, I had an RRD Freeride
76 (which was about 100 ltrs) for many many years that I loved for
its early planning ability, and dead middle of the track was the best
place to run that from 6.7 to 4.7 which was a very balanced and rea
l range. If it was desperation light wind planning, I'd run it slightly forward
with the 6.7. My replacement for that board (deck went soft after about
12 years)was an modern OO of also about 100 ltrs, and it likes the
mast position slightly forward of center from 6.2 to 4.7. Similarly, I have
a small OO and it also likes the position slightly forward of center, for a range
of 5.2 to 3.7. I've got a HiTech IBM that wants the mast position all the way back in the slot.

I've always experimented with all my boards by moving the
foot straps and mast base around (one variable at a time) until I find the
most comfortable position through out the sail range, for me. Most of the
time that means footstraps forward of the center position, and mast base
near center, so that's where I start experimentation. Like Mike says,
a centimeter or 2 can make quite a difference.

-Craig

jpf18 wrote:
isobars wrote:
I never bother to change it
Same here (One caveat, this is for shortboards up to ~130l). I use the Chinook base plates. Procedure when I get a new board every few years: Remove base plate from old board, transfer to new board, position around the middle of the track, screw down. Forget about it other than checking screws are tight ever so often.
I've long given up on the boards' sail ranges. Say a 90l board is advertised 4.0 to 6.5. To me that's 4.5 to 5.5 at best, sweetspot 5.0/5.2. Beyond that, the angles are off no matter how much you try reach and stretch or hunker or make adjustments on the beach.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:11 am; edited 2 times in total
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like its more about where the board builder placed the mast track.
If the mast track is froward of the balance point in a board, you might want to set it back a bit. If the mast track is back of the balance point you might want it forward. So every board doesn't have and exact spot for everyone. Make small adjustments until you get it right for you.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for strap locations, I always bolt mine on as widespread as possible ... rearmost strap screw as far back as possible, front-most screw as far forward as possible, with each strap's width determined by foot and bootie fitment. This often requires mismatching/staggering each strap's mounting holes to accommodate my big foots safely. The strap placement range is only a couple of inches, and my physiological feet-spread range is well over two feet, so I don't feel the difference. That extra couple of inches of range translates directly into the range over which I can bias my weight fore'n'aft dynamically, instantly, and subconsciously as I navigate the terrain.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like most of us leave it alone. The pros don't have a choice as their margins for error are so small they need every little advantage they can get. Even if they only gain 0.1 mph advantage, that adds up over the course of multiple races.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, since you brought up Open Oceans, and I can say that Brian Hinde did offer a 3 position inserts in his boards for footstrap locations, but the distance between them is fairly close overall, no more than 3".

On my many OOs, I have to say that I always went with the rear most positions front and back. By carrying a slightly bigger sail with more power on tap, you could really take advantage of Brian's rockerline. His poly-right Tri-Fin boards tended to be heavier, so they could tend to bog down a bit with the straps too far forward.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try next season and see what I think. I will say
though that my latest OOs were from his last years of production and are
shorter and wider, than previous years , it might be a little different than
your experience.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Craig, since you brought up Open Oceans, and I can say that Brian Hinde did offer a 3 position inserts in his boards for footstrap locations, but the distance between them is fairly close overall, no more than 3".

On my many OOs, I have to say that I always went with the rear most positions front and back. By carrying a slightly bigger sail with more power on tap, you could really take advantage of Brian's rockerline. His poly-right Tri-Fin boards tended to be heavier, so they could tend to bog down a bit with the straps too far forward.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, except for my smallest OO, all of my 8'2" Tri-Fins were no more than 80 liters, and they were all crafted with this unique three panel bottom under the mast area.

Given the late model 100 liter OO you mentioned, I'm thinking that Brian could have changed things notably, especially with his elimination of the three panel sections in favor of a more flowing traditional bottom format. Also, many of his later boards were ESP and epoxy constructed which are quite a bit lighter.

Yet, you might want to give the rear-most footstrap positions a try next season, especially on some of those lighter wind days where you might want to focus on planing speed and a bit of airtime.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in after a day of foiling and someone said "It looks like magic." My reply was, just like magic, it's a matter of knowing where to stand.

When I started to learn to foil, I left the back footstraps off completely until I figured out how not to die, and where my foot was when I was in balance. Then I put in the footstraps. I still don't use a chicken strap or the rear strap coming downwind. Again, the magic is finding the balance point. It depends on three things: mast base position, foot strap position, sail size. Bigger sails need to go back a bit on some boards because otherwise you weight the nose. Same with footstrap position. Further forward keeps the nose down until you are going faster. You have to experiment--but a half inch is a big adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: