myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Rake
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Mast Rake Reply with quote

For freeriding I've always raked the sail back once planing. However I've read contradicting information on optimal mast rake which has led me to second-guess what is best. Other than striving to find the ideal mast rake for a given board sail combo, are there any generic performance benefits one way or the other, or is back always best when powered up?
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, it seems to me that mast rake is dependent on a few factors in combination and not necessarily choice.

1. Point of sail - rake varies between upwind, beam reach and deep run.
2. Power in the sail - wind speed and sail size
3. Sailor's weight counter balancing the forces. Light forces = little if any rake. strong forces = lots of rake.
4. Maximum efficiency of the sail.

Number 4 is what you are probably talking about, but that's a combination of sheeting in or out and raking. And this is is dependent on balancing the forces which are always changing with point of sail and wind speed. Raking can also be to windward of the board as well = overpowered on a beam reach.

Bottom line - raking isn't necessarily a choice, it occurs because of the above force factors.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many variables, both long term and from one second to the next, that I suggest learning to experiment and optimize it dynamically ... i.e., just like you'd tweak sheeting angle subconsciously with every little change in wind and board speed and direction. And that's if you're deliberately trying to sail in a perfectly straight line for some strange reason.
ss59

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think that I have ever consciously raked a sail back (closed the slot?). With the harness lines set up correctly on freeride kit, the rig sits where it needs to with no pressure on the hands.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gear and setup.
Wave a freestyle, hi cut sails and mast base back....no closure.
Slalom setup, full foot sail and mast base 24" from center of front strap...gap closed.
Rider affects this too..
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I rake the sail back when on top of a wave heading down, and for depowering like right before a shaka or backside riding. On big gear (i.e. formula) I did it when underpowered to achieve more forward drive but more from apparent wind than really wind wind.

I purposefully picked these examples to show that in windsurfing it all depends! In slalom they are often heading downwind really powered up. In RSX they may be underpowered and therefore need to rake back as well.

To summarize, rake back when going more off of apparent wind than true wind, something like that.

Slalom:

Wave:

RSX:

akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously thanks for the great info. Some of it confuses me. I suppose optimal mast rake creates the most power and efficiency somehow. More mast rake moves the sail's center of effort aft on the board. For me it's natural and comfortable. What is an example of when I would change it? Again just blasting back and forth.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information.

If I was to add something, it would be focusing on optimizing overall performance, and that includes a lot of other factors like the board, wind and water conditions. Small adjustments in stance, sail position, and maintaining proper board trim and maneuverability in conditions can improve things greatly.

It's all about balance and direction in everything. Seeing the best sailors perform definitely highlights that, no matter what the discipline.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please reduce your pics before posting them. This is a pain.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you go faster it's worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: