myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speed sailing in Norcal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:

Also, I would check out Crissy. There are often times large patches of fast water, but you have to go look for it, and you probably will get bounced around pretty good until you find it. Under the bridge somewhere on a good ebb often produces some very fast water... like blowing 20-25 with no whitecaps

That's water welling up, happens every day wind or no. There's massive confused chop around it where the water flows out. The flat sections are bliss, but don't strike me to go speed sailing there. The water seems to be moving around quite a bit, messing with consistent fin traction. Perhaps it's just me but it feels you can't lock in that well and go for it. Under the bridge, the current's so strong, there's probably too much power spent just to stay in place and not get washed out.
There's hope tough, when it's filled in with good NW in it, the inside west of the trees up to the pier fills in and flattens out, supporting fast starboard reaches.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my best speeds were downwind at Pt. Isabel drag racing Bob Kudrna at about 33 mph. Mike Percey did 36 mph off Crissy on a formula board, that's faster than my best time at about 31, and is scary fast. There is little doubt that a needle type board, as sailed by some in the very earliest days of speed sailing, is faster, and in a trench is scary fast. The point I was trying to make is that, at nearly 72, continuing to sail pretty fast and tour the Bay and generally stay dry because I am not sailing at the edge of crashing, is the attraction of foiling. On a VMG basis, if you are going upwind, it is faster than either a formula board or a slalom board.

And yes, there are times at center span to about gashouse cove on a flood tide you can go astonishingly fast off Crissy. That's where Mike Percy hit 36 on his formula board in a speed sailing event. He's still doing it. And remember, Antoine came here to train and learn foiling with Steve Sylvester. I'm pretty sure he's been over 36 knots on a foil--but he is a phenom.
fabe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess I need to try Doran (the laguna) with proper tide and wind and the eastern side of Brooks Island.
Where would you launch to get to Brooks ? (I never windsurfed Berkley)
Thanks
fabe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even Doran, ocean side. It looks like with North West wind, it would be pretty offshore wind, no ?
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Actually, my best speeds were downwind at Pt. Isabel drag racing Bob Kudrna at about 33 mph. Mike Percey did 36 mph off Crissy on a formula board, that's faster than my best time at about 31, and is scary fast. There is little doubt that a needle type board, as sailed by some in the very earliest days of speed sailing, is faster, and in a trench is scary fast. The point I was trying to make is that, at nearly 72, continuing to sail pretty fast and tour the Bay and generally stay dry because I am not sailing at the edge of crashing, is the attraction of foiling. On a VMG basis, if you are going upwind, it is faster than either a formula board or a slalom board.

36 mph = 31 knots is fast (and scary) on a Formula, not sure how I would ever manage that with my 72 Kg ... I never did more than 28 knots on my Isonic. I just don't have the technique to hold on a "big" board and sail. My best speeds were on Carbon Art 52 and 58 and 6.0-6.6 HSM GPS 3 cams in average 20 knots of wind. I broke regularly 30 knots at Stick with that equipment. After a couple of years I stopped keeping track, so I don't know where I am now with different boards and no-cam sails.

If you follow French or Australian forum, where they have access to long nice flat locations, you see regularly people crossing 40 knots with slalom gear.

Foil for old age sounds good ... Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabe...Every time I sailed Doran, either side, it was Northwest.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offshore wind is best for going fast. The small ripples keep the board from sticking, freeing the rails to allow acceleration and glide.
You get back because you are fully powered, so can sail upwind, although much slower.
Doran oceanside is great, as you can choose ocean swell to assist upwind, and bear off in between.
Cold and lonely are the drawbacks.
We should get DaveV and the Isabelle crew to organize an informal get together.
There are still a few who like fast freeride and slalom gear.
sailwave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwood City on a solid north west up against the edge of Bair Island. Chop is inches high even in very solid wind. Tide needs to be medium to high so that the island ledge shadow does not mess with laminar flow. I clocked 30mph on my formula board with 60cm fin a few years ago. The beginning of this video shows the map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5tvFkrGY9U&t=3s
fabe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question but where do people launch in Berkeley ?
Is it the parking called windsurf launch ? Looks rocky from google satellite
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern most of the 3 docks, South Sailing Basin.
Lordship restaurant, if you cannot slog 200 yards to windline.
Berkeley Yacht Club, if you ride huge board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: