myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an inland sailor (Iowa, mostly), I think one of Coach G's remarks is either not actually correct or is for many irrelevant: "...but the vast majority of windsurfers sail at side shore venues with marginal tides..." Even if that remark is correct about the "vast majority" (which I think is doubtful) it is irrelevant for all of the inland windsurfers. I think everybody who sails in light winds (which might be all of the inland sailors part of the time plus many coastal sailors who aren't always facing significant waves) frequently uses tacking. I do some jibing, but use tacking much more often on water. In course racing both tacking & jibing are useful; if you want to come close to winning both are required. I also sail with windsurfing rigs on 3 other kinds of surfaces. On ice, hard packed snow, & parking lots the turn that takes the most skill is tacking.

Last edited by DelCarpenter on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be frank, tacking is the way to go with a general absence or lack of dependable wind.

Seemingly, it's a very valuable skill in inland sailing venues, but in most shortboard sailing venues elsewhere, I think that few really need to depend on tacking as a necessary skill. Certainly, it's a much tougher move on shortboards.

Like I said, I abandoned tacking in favor of jibing in the late 80s, once I transitioned to shortboards. Believe me, I haven't suffered with my decision, but my focus has been on planing conditions.
wsatl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Most of us are taking into account the previous, LONG, sometimes huffy, discussion of the same topic. Some of the participants in previous discussions are repeating the same old disputed arguments, as though there were any new thoughts here. Anyone whose sailing is actually impacted by tacking vs jibing might want to find those discussions, skip the empty arguing, and read the substantive posts.

wsatl wrote:
It's a fallacy that a bunch of us said it's required. Stop with the straw man argument. You are arguing against a point that literally nobody made.

I was referencing that same conversation. I don't recall anyone saying it was a requirement just a lot of us saying a handy and useful tool for the tool box.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to each his/her own Smile
I really enjoy tacking a short board, almost as much as jibing.
Still super satisfying to go full plane, hard carve upwind, and time the transition to the other side.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:

Still super satisfying to go full plane, hard carve upwind, and time the transition to the other side.

Hell yes!

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:
to each his/her own Smile
I really enjoy tacking a short board, almost as much as jibing.

Jeff, if you can tell me the trick that actually gets me to move when I should move, I'll buy you a beer or two. I always seem to wait a couple of seconds after thinking "I should go NOW", which usually means the tacks are wet unless the board is big.
I'll blame my bad habits on too many longboard tacks over the decades. Although on the bright side, going late is perfectly fine when foiling, and foil boards tend to be big Smile.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Peter.
I've seen you tack on a foil in person an you're very smooth and quick !
Better than I can tack a foil for sure.

You're thought of "I should go NOW" is so funny and appropriate, as I shout that same phrase in my head during nearly every tack still.

I'm no expert, but for me, the time to go is just as the board is starting to slow down but hasn't stopped quite yet. I'll move the sail from the raked back position to nearly upright just before this so that the momentum of moving the sail doesn't throw me off the front. I've found that as long as I can get to the other side with feet on center line, then I'll complete the tack 80-90% of the time. Doesn't matter if the board is floating, half sinking, not pointing past 12. At that stage, weighting the board appropriately to level it off plus foot steering and leaning the sail forward to point onto the new tack.

but I don't think any of this is new info to you though as it's from ABK Smile

Btw, I'm a super light weight (alcohol dehydrogenase deficiency). Two beers will get me quite drunk.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:
the time to go is just as the board is starting to slow down but hasn't stopped quite yet.

Yes. Every knot of boat speed adds to the board's stability.

At a certain level there's no such thing as going too early...the sooner you go, the more it becomes a backwinded tack. For myself I go when the board is at "11"...just before the nose is straight into the wind, and then push against the rig to backwind the rest of the turn.
boardsurfr try going when you're sure it's too early. .02

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lean sail farther back. Go when the board is still moving. You may use the sail touching the shin timing trigger however it may be too late. Step on the other side of the mast foot right around the mast foot.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Most of us are taking into account the previous, LONG, sometimes huffy, discussion of the same topic. Some of the participants in previous discussions are repeating the same old disputed arguments, as though there were any new thoughts here. Anyone whose sailing is actually impacted by tacking vs jibing might want to find those discussions, skip the empty arguing, and read the substantive posts.

That's not what's happening here. Someone posted a video of an excellent shortboard jibe. It was complimented. Then dllee joined and the conversation went the path of

Those who can, do.
Those who can't but want to learn ask
Those who can't period disparage.

Pros all tack, so the superiority of the tack is established.
Anyone bored by tacking is entitled to be bored.
Anyone unwilling or unable to learn is entitled to be content with that.
Anyone suggesting that a good tight jibe is superior to a good tack is grossly mistaken. Ask any windsurfing pro.

I tried three tacks on my 77 liter board (4.7 sail) yesterday. Blew them all, but the third was close. I'm keeping at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: