myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tack or Chicken Gybe, is into the wind. The Jibe is off the wind. Their is no shame in 'the chicken-gybe' despite its name!

wsatl wrote:

Just for kicks - what are the inherent definitions of a jibe and tack? Which one turns into the wind and which one away?

Last edited by westender on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsatl wrote:
If everything is asked and answered elsewhere, don't bother to participate in this one.

My deepest apologies for 1) trying to help anyone who may not be aware how much more info was covered earlier and 2) trying to keep the discussion from spiraling down the same toilet.
wsatl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
The Tack or Chicken Gybe, is into the wind. The Jibe is off the wind. There is no shame in 'the chicken-gybe' despite its name!

wsatl wrote:

Just for kicks - what are the inherent definitions of a jibe and tack? Which one turns into the wind and which one away?

Thanks, that was more of a rhetorical question but you nailed it. Very Happy As you correctly pointed out, one was towards the direction I sometimes like to go and the other away from it. Generally, turning towards where one wants to go is the shortest and often quickest way to get there.

I agree with you that there should be no stigma for wanting to get upwind in a more direct manner. Elsewhere on the internet this is known as "gatekeeping" - where someone having a preference different than you makes them automatically lesser than.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
The Tack or Chicken Gybe, is into the wind. The Jibe is off the wind. Their is no shame in 'the chicken-gybe' despite its name!

I have always thought "chicken jibe" referred to a fast pivot jibe or slam jibe, used in wave conditions when an outbound sailor decides he/she is not going to make it past an oncoming set for example. Certainly no shame involved!

westender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks. The CG is a very old boat sailing expression from way before the Windsurfer was invented. A nice shortboard tack will certainly qualify you as one of the best sailors.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather a planing jibe...on a sinker...to define basic com
petence.
On a longboard, a basic tack.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a Jalama Beach wave contest years ago, I remember seeing Kevin Prichard quickly tack and then move right into the wave, and he did it flawlessly over and over again. Very impressive!

More recently, l saw the move used to great effect watching videos of the Aloha Classic in very light wind conditions. In very light sketchy big wave conditions, where sailors have to slog a bit to get back to the top of the break, a tack is a superior move. I think that it's a must-have move if you want to be a competitive wavesailor today.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWC, No doubt. Zero use for a tack where I sail. Last one I did in the Gorge was on a Mistral Screamer?
asiat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

I have always thought "chicken jibe" referred to a fast pivot jibe or slam jibe, used in wave conditions when an outbound sailor decides he/she is not going to make it past an oncoming set for example. Certainly no shame involved!

That is my understanding as well. It may come from boating but a chicken jibe I'm pretty certain relates to to wave sailing while trying to sail out beyond breaking waves. When you think you are gonna get clobbered you chicken jibe (quick pivot jibe) back towards shore.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '01, I supplied the 92 liter wave board that Kevin used to tack onto the wave and advance out of the heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: