myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish Hover Crossover 120 or 140?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Naish Hover Crossover 120 or 140? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I've been windfoiling a bunch with a slingshot infinity 76 on my old 230x100cm formula board, but I want to a board to mount it on that's a little more compact and more suited to possible sup-foiling and wing-foiling.

There's a Naish dealer in my town and I can probably get a good deal on a Naish Hover crossover 120 or 140. Anybody have experience with either of these boards? Looks like the 120 is 76 cm wide and the 140 is 81 cm wide. Sail range of both is supposed to go up to 7.8.

https://www.naishsails.com/product/hover-crossover-/

Concerns-

*Do the sup rocker and pedestal mount add drag and make it significantly harder to take off than with a flat rockered board with a tuttle mount? Or is that not really a big deal? I don't mind pumping a bit to get going but if the board is super sticky that could be annoying.

*How feasible would it be to use the board for sup/ foil sup? I'm 75 kg and have pretty good race sup skills but "meh" surf sup skills. Would the 120 be enough width and volume for sail-less foiling?

*The footstraps, particularly the back footstraps, are pretty far inboard compared to what I'm used to using when foiling. Is that ever an issue? Like, is it hard to get leverage over the foil for going upwind and stuff?

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same weight.
Coming from 150 and super wide, 140.
If you really SUP at all, 140.
If you already have surf SUP skills..which take at least 30 days in surf, 120.
Been riding 122 Hover for 2 seasons. Very difficult to surf sail with..very unstable. Easy to windfoil from 3.6 to 7.4.
Lots of flat water SUP folk our size cannot stay standing on my Hover 122 that is 73 wide.
High wind soul use, smaller is better.
Probably 5.0 sail to 8.5, go 140.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James- if you are planning to do any finned regular SUP surfing on the board, the Hover Crossovers are awesome. If you are ONLY going to foil on your new board, and never plan to use it in regular fin mode, then look into something with a flatter rocker and thicker tail, for example the Slingshot Shred Sled or the Tabou Magic Carpet.

http://wind-nc.com
wsatl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Naish Hover Crossover 120 or 140? Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
...Like, is it hard to get leverage over the foil for going upwind and stuff?

Getting leverage over the foil for going hard upwind is more about the board width than the straps themselves because you can easily plant your back foot where you need to. Nico Goyard at the Formula Worlds used a foil board without straps and it didn't hurt him at all since he won the it.

That said, if serious upwind is in the equation, then wider is better. It's a balance of what else you are trying to do on the board, of course.

wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent you a PM James
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that shred sled looks interesting. Never seen that one before. And it works well in windfoil mode?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you intend to SUP with fins?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Do you intend to SUP with fins?

Maybe but it's not a priority. I live in SW Florida where we rarely have waves and when we do it's usually too windy to sup.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Hmm, that shred sled looks interesting. Never seen that one before. And it works well in windfoil mode?

Shredsled is more of a crossover board, for those who want to wing, sup and wind foil. It works well as a windfoil board but it is very agile. If you intend to mostly windfoil I would probably recommend a wizard over the shredsled. The shredsled does not have true strap inserts for windsurfing which means you are either standing pretty close to the mast or going strapless. Currently, I am experimenting with half straps.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFQrDv-j_aK/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:

Hi James- I wrote a review of the Shred Sled here:

https://shop.wind-nc.com/blogs/windsurfing-sup-foil-equipment-reviews-tests/slingshot-shred-sled-reviewed

In short, the Shred Sled is a really fun windfoil board, more oriented toward casual free riding and swell riding than racing or jumping or something on the more "extreme" end of the spectrum. That said, swell riding on a foil can feel pretty extreme, even on just a 12" piece of chop! Laughing

Dimensionally, it will feel different from your formula board. The foil will be more under foot and the sail's UJ will be closer to your foil as well. This is more suited to upright sailing and quicker direction changes. Less locked in, less straight line over powered locked in stability. This will be pretty standard for most any foil board that you're also going to be trying to use for SUP Foil and Wing Foil.

Most people will gravitate toward larger surfy foils and smaller wave/freestyle sails when windfoiling a board like this. The jumbo surf foils also work well for SUP foil and Wing foil so that's a win/win.

Hope that helps!

http://wind-nc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: