myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best harness out right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ion radium is a bit locked in but has enough side play (use rashguard over rubber) to be comfortable even in sideon conditions (lots of upwind rides). Happy about it.

If you like looser maybe check their freestyle version.

ss59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best harness out right now? Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I've had a Dakine T7 for a few years now. It has never not loosened up. The single strap for the bar always loosens up.

I want a harness that stays tight. Not a Dakine either. A lot missing on their site these days.

What are you using that's working good?

Are you doing the strap up correctly - it has to double over! I see lots of people who don't have this right with Dakine Harness's

I still use a t5 - I tighten it after the first time it gets wet then it never moves
rtz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thread the end back through the buckle. Is it more then that?
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best harness out right now? Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I've had a Dakine T7 for a few years now. It has never not loosened up. The single strap for the bar always loosens up.
They've had that motorcycle helmet style locking system for years. T5 T6 and you can go further back. The harness always settled down and locked. The belts tended to wear however. Replacement belts were cheap, so not a problem really. Introduce the T7, and there's trouble locking. A closer inspection of the belt gave me the impression that they changed the belt material. It appears stiffer and slicker and as a result, doesn't lock as it's supposed to. Quite the unfortunate fail, considering they used to have a reputation how their team riders tried things out before they hit the consumer space. I went so far to order a bunch of (discounted) replacement belts last year just to see what I could find, but no dice. I might go and just experiment with heating up the belt, put it in place and hang off the harness with my weight while letting the belt cool. Just to see if I can nick it just enough so it stays in place...
At any rate, you can forget all that with the T8. They adopted the seat harness strap setup and it works well. The T8 also has considerably better back support than the older models, spreading the sail's power across a much wider area, which is sweet. One thing though is sizing. They have extra padding on the bar and around the back. which means I needed to go a size larger. This also messed up the harness lines length for me; not that I'd go replace them right away, but I feel I'd want shorter lines going forward.
ss59

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I thread the end back through the buckle. Is it more then that?

like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqX1_mW6FQ0
rtz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea like that. In the video the webbing material looks different then what was used on the T7. The webbing seems to have no bite and slips on the pull tab it goes under.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a photo of how you have it rigged. I usually switch mine around to wear it out evenly. Move it along the strap as well as reverse it. No problem except for the softening of the harness and lack of back structural support.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best harness out right now? Reply with quote

rtz wrote:

I want a harness that stays tight. Not a Dakine either. A lot missing on their site these days.

What are you using that's working good?

I use T7 and used its predecessor Dakine Hawaii. Never had problems with the strap loosening up. T7 absolutely rocks! Love it. And still using Dakine Hawaii but for ice sailing.

Andrei
ss59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Yea like that. In the video the webbing material looks different then what was used on the T7. The webbing seems to have no bite and slips on the pull tab it goes under.

Not trying to tell you something you already know, but..
you know that the webbing stretches when it's wet? Even if it is really tight on the beach, it completely normally to have to retighten the strap after the first dunking - sometimes quite a lot
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
it completely normally to have to retighten the strap after the first dunking
That customary re-tightening on the water (or rather, in the water after the first blown jibe) is totally normal, I forgot about that. If OP is referring to that, forget about my comments, OP is "good".
The issue with the T7 I ran into is the buckle slipping all the way through to the color coded seems that are stitched at the ends of the belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: