myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
winter sailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: winter sailing Reply with quote

SO its been a bunch of years (20 to be exact since I sailed in snow). So the question is, attached hood suit or separate hood to be able to turn head without fighting suit?

Here in Pittsburgh and its cold, hoping to foil in the next month or two. There will be some crashes but hopefully none to bad, light wind sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I was a very muscular, fit, young SOB who sailed all the time, I did not like -- as in almost hated -- integral hoods for the very reason you mention. It wasn't a problem in any particular head turn, but MAN did it get old fighting the suit. I far preferred a separate hood, and if I still wore hoods, I'd use a separate hood and a neck gaiter. The are countless fleece neck gaiters available, and I've always made my own neoprene gaiters by cutting the thighs off a worn out wetsuit. I use both types interchangeably even without a hood at the colder fringes of my season just to keep the cold water where it belongs.

Tip: with fleece, buy something freaking BRIGHT so it won't disappear into all your black, velcro-infested neoprene stuff.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've been sailing winters with hooded wetsuits for over 20 years and yes occasionally my neck gets a little strained during sailing - especially early in the season when you're not used to it. But I think the superior warmth they offer more than makes up for the little bit of discomfort. After a few sessions, your neck gets used to it. Wetsuit technology has advanced a lot over the years and the fabric used on many of the more expensive suits is a blend of neoprene/lycra and some other fancy stretchy materials so the flexibility is vastly improved around the neck and shoulder area. Often this is at the expense of durability. Purchase a suit with fully glued and taped seams for the winter. Good luck with the winter foiling!
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Patagonia R3 and would upgrade to their R5 which is 32-38 degree with a hood. I guess I hear you in saying that you will get tired the first or second time but will get used to it. At least it wont be screaming 25-30 knots and windchill to boot. So I guess its best of the cold worst ,go sailing and enjoy. Smile Thank you for input.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a velcro hood but had to upgrade to a thicker and tighter one, coupled with a good kayak jacket it was nearly dry. I used a thinner shorty below a full suit all these layers let me fine tune warmth along with seasons or venues!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I would never assume any manufacturers' temp ranges mean squat. There are too many variables.

2. I suspect rswabsin nailed it. I haven't tried an integrated hood since they made drysuits out of tire rubber.

3. Whatever the cost, a really dry suit (plus gloves and booties) is priceless if it opens up a whole 'nuther season for you. Much depends on the inherent safety of your venue. i.e, if you can swim to shore in case of a breakdown and always dress for that breakdown, you're good to go.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been adding a hooded vest beneath my drysuit (and heavier wetsuits) for both the perfectly sealed neck as well as a little extra warmth for the torso. It's an inexpensive way to add an unbroken hood to body seal to a wetsuit or drysuit. In winter conditions I wear a helmet over the hood, which actually contributes to head warmth.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I add a kayak dry jacket. Feels like its worth 2mm extra of insulation but weighs almost nothing.
Keeps my back zipper from flushing and also tucks my hood in just fine.
windyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Hooded suits Reply with quote

Wear mostly built in hooded 5/4/3 suits have a hybrid dry suit without built in hood add a fleece hood to it use both in air and water in 30s on Lake Erie for everything from no wind sup to gales both work good.Depends on your tolerance to cold I guess been doing it 35 years now.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I've been adding a hooded vest beneath my drysuit (and heavier wetsuits) for both the perfectly sealed neck as well as a little extra warmth for the torso. .

Michael, how does this work with the seal on the dry suit ?
I use a kokotat dry suit with latex seals. I have a separate hood from Promotion that has a "flange/flair" at the bottom that I tuck into the velcro gortex neck, but this does not cross the gasket. I would worry that a vest and hood under the my drysuit would compromise the neck gasket's water tightness ??

curious what product you use ?

thanks in advance.
Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: