myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
winter sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:

Michael, how does this work with the seal on the dry suit ? (cut)

I would worry that a vest and hood under the my drysuit would compromise the neck gasket's water tightness ??

curious what product you use ?

I use a Neosport XSPAN 5/3mm Mens Hooded Vest. I only had trouble once with the neck gasket when the hood/vest didn't go on cleanly and there was a fold at the neck, which let water drip down my back. I promptly got out of the water and had a friend sort it out.

The hooded vest has been a real help with all my full suits...it's a way to add some body warmth AND get the great neck protection.

surfsuppp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So question, if your sailing a drysuit that to me doesnt represent breakdown ready. If your out in the middle and you puncture that suit your in trouble. Surfers surfing in Erie right now seem to be able to manage the freezing temps staying in the water with a full suit non dry. I had a drysuit but abandoned it years ago. I always liked the old Ronnie's with the former John and the dry top at least if it punctured you only had the top to deal with not the full suit filling up.

isobars wrote:
1. I would never assume any manufacturers' temp ranges mean squat. There are too many variables.

2. I suspect rswabsin nailed it. I haven't tried an integrated hood since they made drysuits out of tire rubber.

3. Whatever the cost, a really dry suit (plus gloves and booties) is priceless if it opens up a whole 'nuther season for you. Much depends on the inherent safety of your venue. i.e, if you can swim to shore in case of a breakdown and always dress for that breakdown, you're good to go.
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hooded suits Reply with quote

windyjoe wrote:
Wear mostly built in hooded 5/4/3 suits have a hybrid dry suit without built in hood add a fleece hood to it use both in air and water in 30s on Lake Erie for everything from no wind sup to gales both work good.Depends on your tolerance to cold I guess been doing it 35 years now.

What are you wearing right now? The drysuit or the 543? I see all presqueIsle surfers in Erie are wearing 6s. hooded as of the other day.

We used to sail on the other side Turkey point starting in March. Its been a while since I started with flakes still blowing around though. Looking for a 45-50 day water temp be it whatever it is. The Patagonia suits I trust as its been pretty spot on for far and a trusted brand with surfers.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a wide variety of loose-fitting dry suits for > 40 years, including multiple brands of Goretex, neoprene, and polyurethane. Seals have been latex or neoprene, with and without cuffs over the actual seal to keep the uv off the seals. Most of my sailing has been in desert sunshine, much at high altitudes. I crash often and hard, and have swum my gear in many times. I've never had a leak that let in anything more than a cup of water, and Kokatat replaced that suit even though it was several years old. One fellow here reported a bad fin gash to his leg through his Kokatat, but the suit was undamaged.

Every one greatly extended my season, into light blizzards on some occasions not counting our heated lake in New Mexico. That, to me, makes them worth every penny, as I freaking HATE the icy spinal tap that too many semi-dry suits allow.

I get many years out of my dry suits because I have a wide variety of semi-drry and wet suits to back them up. No point in wearing (out) a $1,000 suit when a $500 or $200 suit is all I need to stay warm.

surfsuppp wrote:
So question, if your sailing a drysuit that to me doesnt represent breakdown ready. If your out in the middle and you puncture that suit your in trouble. Surfers surfing in Erie right now seem to be able to manage the freezing temps staying in the water with a full suit non dry. I had a drysuit but abandoned it years ago. I always liked the old Ronnie's with the former John and the dry top at least if it punctured you only had the top to deal with not the full suit filling up.

isobars wrote:
1. I would never assume any manufacturers' temp ranges mean squat. There are too many variables.

2. I suspect rswabsin nailed it. I haven't tried an integrated hood since they made drysuits out of tire rubber.

3. Whatever the cost, a really dry suit (plus gloves and booties) is priceless if it opens up a whole 'nuther season for you. Much depends on the inherent safety of your venue. i.e, if you can swim to shore in case of a breakdown and always dress for that breakdown, you're good to go.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooded suits Reply with quote

surfsuppp wrote:
Looking for a 45-50 day water temp be it whatever it is.

I dress for long swims. That, more than air temps, is what kills.
windyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Winter suits Reply with quote

Depends on the day where I sail how I feel wear both it’s been worst winter for wind so far if I’m alone or not if it’s raining or snowing flip a coin
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter suits Reply with quote

Greetings Joe, I tend to figure that I'm sailing by myself and dress for that
whether I am or not. I prefer not to rely on anyone (even my friends) for
my own personal safety.

YMMV

-Craig

windyjoe wrote:
Depends on the day where I sail how I feel wear both it’s been worst winter for wind so far if I’m alone or not if it’s raining or snowing flip a coin
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. Assume you are on your own for a rescue.......because you probably are! Incidentally, I have used a 3MM ProMotion hooded vest over a semi dry suit for years. Makes a big difference.
rainer412

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use a NP Lucifer drysuit to windsurf in the low 40s/high 32s and I can just really recommend a drysuit over a wetsuit:

+ you will never ever be cold. Put as many merino wool and fleece clothes underneath as you want. Surf as long as the water is still liquid Smile.
+ it doesn't restrict your movement at all
+ put it on at home already, no need to change clothes in the cold outside
+ it normally traps quite some air inside which gives you lots of additional buoyancy. Very comfortable for waterstarts!
+ not much maintenance of the suit needed as long as you use baby powder to lubricate the cuffs.
+ they have useful pockets inside (dry) and outside (wet).
+ they often have bright colors which make you easier to spot in an emergency.

- yes, there is the theorectical risk of major puncture and filling the suit with water. Though I never heard/read anyone really experiencing this since the wetsuits are made of really solid tissue. In such case you probably would have to break the leg cuffs to drain the suit to be able to get back onto the board again and go to shore quickly.

Especially in winter, never go alone to windsurf. Always take a cell phone or a personal locator beacon with you. There is a much higher risk of any other problem than breaking your suit (fatigue, cramps, injuries, equipment breaking, wind force/direction change) which soon can be life-threatening in the cold.

As for your original question for hoods: With a drysuit I just use a Ion neoprene beanie and put a watersports helmet on top - that's warm, safe and the helmet keeps the beanie in place . I don't feel cold at all around the neck due to the collar of the drysuit (might depend on your drysuit model).
My weak spot so fare are gloves...

When using my 5/4 wetsuit in the cold, I use a separate 2mm hood (+helmet) which allows better head movement, and any water which enters the hood can leave again instead of flowing into the suit. I think it is the better solution.

have fun but stay safe,
mariachi76
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Lucifer really as bulky and cumbersome as it looks in the videos? My first ... and second ... and third impressions are of a grossly oversized overcoat and outlandishly baggy trousers. They look absolutely impossible to merely swim in, let alone sprint, even in flat water, certain death in waves.

That, or the videos are of kooks wearing a dry suit underneath cartoonish clothes belonging to a 400-pound man.

What am I missing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: