myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In the market for an 11m or 12m sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before foiling was invented my 11.0 and formula board were pretty important for getting me going in light, Florida summer winds where even a 9.5 often wasn't enough...

But everything that folks have said about the unwieldy weight and hassle, technicality, and limited range of use of those double digit sails, especially for "lighter" folks, is TRUE. Unless you're going ALL IN, they're not worth it.

So if anybody in Florida wants my well-used 11.0 Gaastra Nitro V and matching mast for FREE, they are welcome to it. (PM me.)

Now with the foil I'm fine with 8.0 as my usual light-wind sail size, although I'm keeping the 9.5 on hand for occasional use when it's steady but really light, like just 7-8 knots.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in Montreal and always wanted to ty an 11+ meter sail
with my 200+ pounds
and JP SLW92 Smile
have used it with 10 meter sails and tried it with 8 meter sails, but water was choppy then - board seemed more suited to light winds and flatter water with BIG sails

in light winds often better off with my Mistral Equipe 2 XR and 8 meter sails !!
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Kiting was invented to eliminate the need for huge sails?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many kiteboarders go out on a 17m kite in 10 mph winds? What happens when the wind drops to 6 or 8? Long swim, or if lucky a body drag.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real light sketchy and shifty winds, especially with big lulls as part of the picture, just kill kiting. While they can really style in very light winds that are steady, a lack of consistency can leave them in the water swimming in.

With wind and its fickle ways, we all can pay a price.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtz,
I don’t think it would be worth upsizing to a larger, full blown race sail from your current setup.
Race sails are far more mast dependent and the mast the Warp requires is very expensive & fragile.
The race sails will have many cambers, huge luff sleeve & weigh significantly more than your non-cambered sail. Any gains you get from size will likely be lost to weight.
As a rule of thumb race sails sacrifice low end for top end while freeride sails sacrifice top end for low end. You overcome the low end disadvantage with active pumping on a race sail; a technique that may get old quite quickly in day to day freeride sailing.
So, while the sail may be inexpensive the boom & mast required will not be, you will gain more in range than in early planing & the sail will be more fragile. There is a reason they are dumping a brand new sail at such a low cost.

Coachg
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Before foiling was invented my 11.0 and formula board were pretty important for getting me going in light, Florida summer winds where even a 9.5 often wasn't enough...

But everything that folks have said about the unwieldy weight and hassle, technicality, and limited range of use of those double digit sails, especially for "lighter" folks, is TRUE. Unless you're going ALL IN, they're not worth it.

So if anybody in Florida wants my well-used 11.0 Gaastra Nitro V and matching mast for FREE, they are welcome to it. (PM me.)

SNIP

What? You're GIVING AWAY that setup? You recall the mast was a custom FibersparR8000 designed specifically to test and develop that sail. I'd like to think that you'd display it in your den for only the most special visitors to see. Think of it as a Ferrari V-12 from F1. At least turn it into a glass-topped table. Smile

Seriously, anyone looking for a PERFECTLY tuned mast/sail interchange should grab this setup. It is how I described it and how I sold it to James a few years ago.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: