myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What move are you currently focusing on? Jibe, Tack, WS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing I've worked on for 70 years in many sports: enjoying the hell out of every moment by achieving altered consciousness legally. Some team sports are great, but they still involve rules and referees, positions, responsibilities to the rest of the team, time limits, bench time, following orders, herding cats (players) ... alike in many ways like office jobs or a carpool. I always regretted it when a rousing game of volleyball or football ended before my body said it was over.

Individual sports free us from many of those ... unless, of course, we're keeping score (e.g., GPS, a marathon, learning tricks) or have to reserve a time or venue slot (e.g., a lane in the pool, a bowling alley) or wait in line (e.g., ski lift, gym equipment).

For those and other reasons, my sports gravitated decades ago towards unrestrained, individual, spontaneous sports including dirt bikes, snowmobiles, windsurfing ... things I can do balls to the wall, pushing my skills to and beyond yesterday's limits, any day of the week, for as long as I want without whistles, finish lines, regulations, enforcers ... any rules beyond "Don't hurt nobody".

What MOVE am I working on? Having all the fun I can, and improving my skills a little bit each day. What's my success rate, given my body's limits? Damned near 100%.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waves, waves and then waves. I want to be able to charge hard after picking up speed on a bottom turn and go vertical hitting the lip and spray huge buckets.

None of that's gonna happen until I get more confidence and stop weighting my back foot. Time to let go, broaden my grip and lean into the turn putting my weight forward.

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie Naish still leans on his back foot to bottom turn and carve off the top.
Heck, he still grabs the mast to flip the sail.
He wavesails ok.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
waves, waves and then waves. I want to be able to charge hard after picking up speed on a bottom turn and go vertical hitting the lip and spray huge buckets.

None of that's gonna happen until I get more confidence and stop weighting my back foot. Time to let go, broaden my grip and lean into the turn putting my weight forward.

DC

I'm too fascinated by waves. Do you sail side on, side, side off? Easy waves? What about size?

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to achieve the most/biggest/highest spray at any given opportunity is slamming your strapped-in back foot into your target at mid-turn, whether it's a breaking ocean wave, a big honkin' wind-generated swell, or a calf-high piece of chop. The more power you put into it, the higher your board is up on one rail, and the better your timing, the bigger and higher the buckets go. It puts a nice grin on my face to feel those "buckets" -- not just spray, but heavy, hard rain -- of water falling on my head long after making that top turn and maybe after beginning my next bottom turn, even if the swell is just chest high, if that.

This doesn't take confidence, because there's no risk. With your back foot safely strapped in, you just press hard into your back toes (you DO have toes on your back, right? Smile ), thrust your mast forward and into the turn, oversheet, and jam that back foot into your chosen bump, HARD and nearly all at once. The rain will follow.

That should increase your confidence and your timing, and -- unless it forms habits not suitable to your local wind-to-waves direction relationship -- provide a stepping stone into knocking the tops off those bigger waves not rolling along at 90 degrees to your ambient wind direction.

For those of us who took years to learn to plane through a jibe, such baby steps are very instructive. They can also be a frigging hoot all by themselves.

dcharlton wrote:

DC
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Robbie Naish still leans on his back foot to bottom turn and carve off the top.
Heck, he still grabs the mast to flip the sail.
He wavesails ok.

Robbie is a grand master windsurfer. He does not depend on the repetition of technique to succeed...his skills, abilities and instincts are such that he can make choices that would drop most everybody else into the water. Attempting to imitate Robbie is not what Robbie recommends for anyone trying to learn a new move (I have heard him say as much several times at in-store events). Like Robbie, I occasionally grab the mast while jibing. It's always due to specifics of the moment. For Naish I suspect everything is due to specifics of the moment rather than rote technique.

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel, I thought you were based out of Eastern DR.
30 degree side off is best, no upwind obstruction, point break right, the size you can handle.
I spend a month each year in Eastern Puerto Rico. We get those conditions at Loiza/Piniones and also in Eastern Luqilio.
The complete lack of another sailor, and us learning to wing, has kept us away.
Peru-Chile has the opposite conditions, as does Diamond Head but no point break.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie don't ride no freestyle tricky spin gear.
He goes fast, rails lay down turns, does huge loops, and doesn't bother with trick dick spin moves.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the year that I dial in the carve jibe! Well..... I hope to come out planing at least 2/3 of the time Laughing

Heading to SPI in 2 weeks to kick off the season. Let the faceplants and hooked-in catapults begin!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
1. This is the year that I dial in the carve jibe! Well..... I hope to come out planing at least 2/3 of the time Laughing

2. Let the faceplants and hooked-in catapults begin!

1. We've all heard -- and the vast majority of us have said -- that endlessly. It means almost nothing without good (there are bad ones) professional lessons or 5-sigma skills (if you had those you'd have deliberately looped in the middle of your first jibe attempt).

2. Faceplants and catapults are all but impossible when your back foot is in its strap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: