myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video: windsurfing vs. kitesurfing injuries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Video: windsurfing vs. kitesurfing injuries Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Here is an interesting video full of stats. There is an interesting pattern in the skill level injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_WzSPw9go

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com

Xnip2021-09-16_08-21-38.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.25 KB
 Viewed:  17203 Time(s)

Xnip2021-09-16_08-21-38.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That only goes for "injuries".
How many "advanced" kiters died?
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
That only goes for "injuries".
How many "advanced" kiters died?

That is a tricky statistic to cover in a simplified video. Lots of kiters died in the early day with C kites, primitive depowering and inadequate lessons. Deaths are less common now.

By the same token many windsurfing deaths, especially in the Gorge, occur not due to the sport per se but rather people going out on 50+ knot winter days with air in water temps in the 40's.

The key finding to me is that windsurfing injuries are rare unless you are trying advanced tricks whereas just learning to kite has a high injury rate. You can control the former but do not so much the latter.

Mike
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point, Windfind.
SAS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue with deaths is whether the deaths were due to medical issues or accidents. In the past 20 years, there have been a handful of deaths windsurfing where I live. All of the windsurfing deaths were senior citizens and were due to medical issues. For example, one friend of mine had an aortic dissection while windsurfing. He was 75.

Youth are not starting windsurfing in big numbers, and many of the windsurfers are middle age and older.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late '90's death by kiting, thru early 2000's, were staggering in numbers.
Double the US river kayaking numbers...which would normally account for a nationwide ban.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Video: windsurfing vs. kitesurfing injuries Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

Here is an interesting video full of stats. There is an interesting pattern in the skill level injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_WzSPw9go

It's an old video, using very dubious methodology and very misleading in its faulty conclusion that expert level windsurfers have more injuries than expert kiters. A good example of pseudo-scientific web-based misinformation.

But it is kind of a moot issue, kiting is quickly disappearing kicked away by winging Very Happy
windswell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge difference between death BY(aka "because of") windsurfing and death WHILE windsurfing(heart attack, barge, etc). I know I'm much more careful now on the extreme days. At 72, I don't heal or rehab as fast, and I don't want to miss out on all the OK days.

I chose not to learn to kite 12 years ago. I continue to be OK with that choice, except on light-windish days when kiters are having fun in the wave, and I'm slogging with a 5.8.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windswell wrote:
There's a huge difference between death BY(aka "because of") windsurfing and death WHILE windsurfing(heart attack, barge, etc). I know I'm much more careful now on the extreme days. At 72, I don't heal or rehab as fast, and I don't want to miss out on all the OK days.

I chose not to learn to kite 12 years ago. I continue to be OK with that choice, except on light-windish days when kiters are having fun in the wave, and I'm slogging with a 5.8.

On those days I ride a wavy WindSUP. Not exactly as awesome as wavesailing or kiting waves, but better than slogging a wave board.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windswell wrote:

I made the same choice and have not regrets.

As for slogging in waves, if you need to plane, kites have the advantage. If all you need is to float and ride, windsurfers have the advantage. If I can waterstart and there are waves, I go out. Last night, even the wingers were dropping off foil, it was so lite. We were still catching waves. The surfers were envious - riding a different part of the break. They were not getting as many waves and certainly not the outside bombs. I've launched at Waddell in the past when the kites were falling out of the sky. If it's cycling from 15 down to 5, then we have the advantage with enough foam under our feet, a willingness to swim at times, and an uphaul just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: