myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's wrong with Texas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I'm glad that the local restrictions worked well. The concern that people from out of State would ignore local regulations and blindly follow inferred instructions from the President didn't happen in your neck of the woods or in mine. We now have a different President and nothing of substance has changed. States/ localities are calling the shots and administering the vaccines as they were before the election. The overwhelming majority of people are sensible and are not swayed by WH bloviating from either side of the aisle. It's true we are weary of Covid, but the precautions are much more a part of every day routine than they were 9 months ago. I expect that most will continue to be prudent.

Mrgybe. I don't know what sort of exposure you have to the hardcore Trumpies. But, there, absolutely, is resistance to mask wearing that was initiated by Mr. Trump. Monied Texans are the ones that show up in Colorado. They, continue to drive around with Trump flags on their vehicles. Many are, currently, ignoring the mask ordinances at the ski area near me.

To your point, I don't believe that Biden can do anything to encourage compliance with social distancing and maska. The mask wearing must be, locally, enforced. Something that I have promoted all along.

I don't care what Texans do in Texas. That's their deal. But, they need to follow our rules when they visit us because we cannot afford a resurgence of this pandemic in our tourist industry.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead,

I spent 5 days skiing in Colorado and for the most part, mask wearing was probably 99.99% without being asked. Those that skied into a lift line without a mask were reminded and then complied. Everyone I saw in restaurants and stores, restrooms, wore masks.

With that said, I have no idea where any of the skiers were from, so I am a skeptic when you dump on the Texans. How do you know that the non masked people were from Texas?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
coboardhead,

I spent 5 days skiing in Colorado and for the most part, mask wearing was probably 99.99% without being asked. Those that skied into a lift line without a mask were reminded and then complied. Everyone I saw in restaurants and stores, restrooms, wore masks.

With that said, I have no idea where any of the skiers were from, so I am a skeptic when you dump on the Texans. How do you know that the non masked people were from Texas?

Because, they have accents and use the term Y'all! And, they wear lone star bikinis (the guys). Now, maybe there were some from other locations in the South but I don't recall seeing any license plates from LA, Miss, or Alabama. I didn't see the issues at Telluride that I see at Purgatory and Crested Butte. Both well known for their catering to the West Texas crowds. On Sunday mornings you can drive from Gunnison to CB and see the line of Suburbans with Texas plates heading back (Sunday is the change over day there). Same thing at Purgatory during spring break. The parking lot is full of cars with Texas plates during the Texas spring break.

There are more skiers in Texas than in Colorado. So, of course we want the visitors because of the huge feed on our economy. But, they will need to respect our rules and right now there is a fight to get them to follow those rules.

You lived in Texas for awhile. So, you might not even recognize the accents and behavior.

We do know that the majority of issues with law breaking in my small town are summer Texans. Followed closely by Northern New Mexico, which is also oil country. It would be bad law enforcement planning not to recognize this.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On February 18, there were 2347 new cases according to Worldometer. Yesterday there were 5565 new cases and 277 new deaths. That's more than doubled. The Texas governor is killing it. Literally. Watch this space.

Texas death rate is 1561 per million. For comparison, California's is 1363. Obviously time to proclaim freedom--from masks and consideration for your fellow citizens. After all, Texas de-regulation worked really well for energy prices.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
But, there, absolutely, is resistance to mask wearing that was initiated by Mr. Trump.......I don't care what Texans do in Texas. That's their deal. But, they need to follow our rules when they visit us because we cannot afford a resurgence of this pandemic in our tourist industry.

You told us that visitors obeyed the rules last summer during Trump's reign of terror; why would they behave differently now? Of course local regulations, and responsible citizens, were key in limiting the impact of Covid on the OBX and elsewhere. That has been my point all long; it is at the local level that control properly rests. Blather from DC is background noise to most people........a sign on the door of a store saying "No entry without a mask" is where the impact lies.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
But, there, absolutely, is resistance to mask wearing that was initiated by Mr. Trump.......I don't care what Texans do in Texas. That's their deal. But, they need to follow our rules when they visit us because we cannot afford a resurgence of this pandemic in our tourist industry.

You told us that visitors obeyed the rules last summer during Trump's reign of terror; why would they behave differently now? Of course local regulations, and responsible citizens, were key in limiting the impact of Covid on the OBX and elsewhere. That has been my point all long; it is at the local level that control properly rests. Blather from DC is background noise to most people........a sign on the door of a store saying "No entry without a mask" is where the impact lies.

Well. They're getting more lax about it right now. As I wrote earlier, folks are tired of it. Hope you're right that those of the same political mindset that stormed the Capitol won't show up here when they are the majority and do what ever they want. I've been at ski areas during the Texas spring break. It is a fantasy to believe that it will be orderly and safe.

The signs at the business doors are being ignored right now in some locals. Go to a Home Depot in a red town, then go to one in a Blue town (I have the option). You would be surprised at the difference. Now, go to one in Texas. I did when I was kitesurfing in SPI in November. Texans don't like to be told what to do even if it saves lives.

I'm sorry if you don't believe that the hordes from Texas are going to party, as they've always done, like there's no tomorrow in a couple weeks here. But, I think you're going to be wrong and I am going to stay the hell away from them!
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Of course local regulations, and responsible citizens, were key in limiting the impact of Covid on the OBX and elsewhere. That has been my point all long; it is at the local level that control properly rests. Blather from DC is background noise to most people........a sign on the door of a store saying "No entry without a mask" is where the impact lies.

Mrgybe,
I'm totally with you on responsibility lying at the local level, but I'm not so sure about the "Blather from DC" as "background noise to most people". It was a lesson drummed into me long ago by Master Sergeant Banks in Quantico, Virginia; "leaders lead by example". I hated that man for 13 miserable weeks but have respected what he taught me for a life time.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr buggy whip is just full of shit.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/idaho-anti-maskers-organize-mask-burnings-despite-no-state-mask-mandate

The Trump effect. Remember that buggy whip repeatedly defended Trump's response--the response that killed at least 100,000 people.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things:

Quote:
y
Neena Satija and
Aaron Gregg
March 6, 2021 at 6:55 a.m. PST

The corporate and municipal owners of more than 30 power-generation plants in Texas appear to have failed to adequately heed a decade of warnings to better prepare for deadly winter weather, contributing to their malfunctions or shutdowns during last month’s historic winter freeze that led to statewide power outages and a humanitarian crisis.

Facilities owned by Fortune 500 energy giants NRG, Calpine Corporation and Vistra Corporation, all headquartered in Texas, and the Chicago-based Exelon, experienced shutdowns during last month’s winter storm as well as during the state’s last historic cold snap a decade ago, according to a review by The Washington Post.

New Texas confronts the old with debates about mask mandates and winter storm response

In testimony to state lawmakers, documents for shareholders and statements to The Post, the companies have said that last month’s problems occurred at least in part due to a failure to properly winterize equipment — in other words, to implement certain upgrades designed to protect power infrastructure from the cold. The same issue contributed to their shutdowns in 2011.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I'm sorry if you don't believe that the hordes from Texas are going to party, as they've always done, like there's no tomorrow in a couple weeks here.

I didn't say that or anything remotely like it. Don't put words in my mouth. Kids will do stupid things as they have always done until they learn from their mistakes. That has absolutely nothing to do with Trump or with the red and blue towns that you insist in bringing into the debate. They don't care what Trump says and they don't care what Biden says. They just want to have a good time and believe they are invincible until they find out they aren't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: