myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What move are you currently focusing on? Jibe, Tack, WS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: What move are you currently focusing on? Jibe, Tack, WS? Reply with quote

A little survey to see what you all are currently working on. As for me, working on port tack forward loops, shakas and bigger starboard forwards Smile !

Here are some tips and tricks for everyone, I will expand and probably go into the secrets of the jibe, quick tack and a longer waterstart video.

In the meantime: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More planing gybes, knowing when to kick out of the wave, better backies and finally start pulling the trigger on forwards.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun plan! Planing jibes over wave gear?

By kicking out of waves you mean improving your selection?

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking out is choosing discretion over valor....not hitting the lip for an aerial roller coaster, choosing instead to pass on the heroics and get another wave.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm either foiling or wavesailing, so yes gybes on waveboards. Specifically my inside port to starboard gybe is weak because I'll frequently either ride to the beach then beach start or go toeside DTL and eat it. Local break is side shore windswell and picking which wave will sustain multiple turns vs close out takes time to develop.
Outside gybes are a bit better but still depend on getting the timing right and coasting down swell. I'm not quite efficient enough to plane through a gybe without some swell partially since the surface chop is significant here.
This summer will be my 5th year windsurfing and I've had to take quite a lot of time off so feeling like I'm still ahead of the curve.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big enough board to always plane is key, especially inside.
I never rode wave boards smaller than 75 liters. That's my weight in kgs.
Pumping on the whitewater inside is one key.
I never tacked. Hardly ever came into beachstart.
Rode 10 days at Florence, Face-3, Lake Floras-10, Pistol/Cape and never walked.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking out....
Lots of spots peel into a beachbreak real closeout, so kick out to ride 3 more waves than the guy who styled the aerial otl.
Was warned to avoid the surfers at Velzyland before heading out to Revelations, a middle reef break just upwind and outside of V land.
V and is super territorial and infested with 30+ hostile islanders and half as many transplant blonde L A surfers...who are allowed because they bring their sisters and friends.
Don't slog out thru the pack there or at Chuns/Lanikea.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What move are you currently focusing on? Jibe, Tack, WS? Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
A little survey to see what you all are currently working on. As for me, working on port tack forward loops, shakas and bigger starboard forwards Smile !

Nothing! I go out just to have fun and do what I know how to do! Love the liberating feeling of not having to achieve anything!!!!!!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luge training in the recliner until spring
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What move are you currently focusing on? Jibe, Tack, WS? Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I'm either foiling or wavesailing, so yes gybes on waveboards. Specifically my inside port to starboard gybe is weak because I'll frequently either ride to the beach then beach start or go toeside DTL and eat it. Local break is side shore windswell and picking which wave will sustain multiple turns vs close out takes time to develop.
Outside gybes are a bit better but still depend on getting the timing right and coasting down swell. I'm not quite efficient enough to plane through a gybe without some swell partially since the surface chop is significant here.
This summer will be my 5th year windsurfing and I've had to take quite a lot of time off so feeling like I'm still ahead of the curve.

Ah ok makes sense. Well planing through jibes on wave gear is tough for the reasons you stated plus the small gear which tends to stall easily.

Thanks for clarifying your kicking out comment. Do you surf?

dvCali wrote:
manuel wrote:

Nothing! I go out just to have fun and do what I know how to do! Love the liberating feeling of not having to achieve anything!!!!!!

It can be rewarding to achieve our goals. What works for me is spend my fresh time working on things then enjoy the rest of the session. I'm really glad I worked on certain skills because they now lead to greater enjoyment even during poor conditions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: