myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle Sails for Foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wide diversity of opinions on foil sails has me like a deer in the headlights--don't know which way to turn. One camp (Sailworks) says cams are best. The other says no cams, baggy. So until this shakes out I'm pretty happy foiling with a couple of old sails I dug out of the garage: 1990 Simmer 5.2 Onshore, and 1995 Simmer 6.2 Onshore. I can probably do better but they work OK for now. A new highly skilled foiler on my lake uses Sailworks Flyers so I'm leaning that way. But then I see Simon over on Seabreeze rocking on his Simmer Enduro, so........
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use what you got.
When it wears out, buy something similar.
Your sails are probably 10 years newer than you think.
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmtbskate wrote:
I use Severne Freeks for foiling.
I had a Sailworks Flyer which foiled up earlier and also cruised through gusts better, but the Freeks are more pumpable, also have high lift, and have a higher top end control. Plus I have a personal preference for non cambered sails.

So if the sail works foiled up earlier does that mean that even pumping you cant get the freak up in the same wind? When you say high lift your referring too? Center of effort?

I like the no cambers but I am concerned that if I get a 7.0 flyer that in gusts it may be out of control. We get very gusty conditions around here.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should preface things by saying that I've come to the conclusion over that years that I don't like cambered sails in general. I prefer to be able to have the sail go neutral for freestyle/ducking etc.

The Freeks rig flat but also have a deep draft when the wind fills in. They're great for pumping. It's my understanding that the Flyers are not as easily pumped, but make up for it with more low end power, and power particularly through lulls. I found the low end of the flyers to be excellent, but control in gusts not that great, given the low tension used and tighter leech. however, I'd defer to others who own Flyers to comment further on the top end of the sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downhaul your Flyer more
Bud on Flyers, 160 lbs., handles 25 knots just fine, when I'm also 160 lbs., am next to him with 5 meter sail and 95 liter board.
I'm much faster, maybe 5 knots, but he has more angle upwind and down.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Freestyle Sails for Foiling Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
Has anyone had luck with freestyle sails for foiling? Looking for a crossover no-cam lightwind sail. Intrigued by the Aerotech Air-X...

Intended use would be foiling in 10-15 mph wind, freeride finning in 15+ mph winds.

Quite a few in my area use the Ezzy Hydra/Hydra Pro. But that's ~$800, while the Aerotech Air-X is ~$500. If I can get similar performance for less $, I'm all about it.

I don't know if the OP is still watching this... but I know 3 people using Aerotech Air X's for windfoiling... and they love em!
I'll add these guys are mid weight to lighter weight. And they're using mid to smaller sail sizes in 15 mph wind & more... and mostly back n forth, free-riding, fun stuff. I mean, they're not looking for max speed in really light wind, and racing up & down wind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: