myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sprinter WS van - best factory floor option?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcevans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Sprinter WS van - best factory floor option? Reply with quote

I'm going to order a new van, and with metallic paint need to get a factory floor option:

- Wood floor w/ D rings
- Plastic floor cover

Any personal experience & advice appreciated!

Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D rings rust solid in 1 year.
Plastic can be scrubbed with bleach cleanser.
But, do you store salt water wet gear in the back, or planto sleep there?
tcevans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll mainly store salt water wet gear in back.

Eventually plan to build it out to a "weekender" w/ a bed above the gear, but no plans to live/stay in it for long periods.

Plastic seemed like the obvious choice, but I understand sprinter owners in general prefer the wood floor. Of course windsurfers are not "general" people, so I wanted to ask.

Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any criteria of general interest why you chose Sprinter over the competition? The Ford Transit website's options suite is mind-boggling and the reviews I've seen generally favor the competition.

Whatever you buy and however you floor it, you might consider laying an absorbent garage floor mat over the van floor. Here's just one example:

https://youtu.be/MI-YPqC9Akw

There are many brands on the market, and some significant discounts online. I rolled a couple of them out on my garage and shop floors (that's the entire installation procedure) well over a decade ago to trap and constrain rain runoff and snowmelt from my vehicles, and absolutely love them. They work as advertised, and that's saying a lot. If it gets too grungy or salty on your van floor, just roll it out with all the grunge onto the driveway, hose it clean, let it dry, and roll it back into your van.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a Mercedes Sprinter, I bought a Chevy Express and installed a birch plywood 1/2" floor before building out a custom wood interior set up for windsurfing. Having a bolted-in wood floor was the way to go, and it's a squeak-free solid foundation to mount your interior to. I used mine for over 21 years and it never failed me. Super durable and easy to sweep clean.

Here are a few photos with the interior removed.

van floor 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  21592 Time(s)

van floor 1.jpg

van floor 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  21598 Time(s)

van floor 2.jpg

van floor 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Viewed:  21600 Time(s)

van floor 3.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is not the question you asked but: Drive the ford van with the 3.5 turbo engine. Its has so much power. Friends are saying they are getting 22mpg loaded. Its less expensive to buy or repair. And you can get parts just about anywhere..
tcevans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the Ford. They are nice, but the MB Sprinter fits me better - I'm 6'2". I'd need a high roof Ford, which look a bit awkward to me & similar price to a comparably equipped Sprinter. Availability is also an issue, no high roofs or 3.5 turbo available to even test drive - 6 months to order a new one
gstarczak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Sprinter WS van - best factory floor option? Reply with quote

Don't bother with the factory floor other then it makes for a decent template. That was the case with my 2016. 1/2" Baltic Birch then a marine grade vinyl floor covering and rolled the edges up the sides a bit. You absolutely do not want any salt water making it's way under the floor covering to the sheet metal floor. Ideally the floor should be like a bath tub to contain any water spills. I don't have a picture to share as the van is in the shop but if interested send me a note.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sprinter I ordered without the factory floor so I can do a coating of rhino lining on it. I plan on coating the cargo area and partially up the walls. Then I will do a padded gym floor mat on the "living" area portion of the van to keep the sound down. I'm going for practical rather than pretty...

I did this to a pickup and it held up well.
stevegoebel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I know this is not the question you asked but: Drive the ford van with the 3.5 turbo engine. Its has so much power. Friends are saying they are getting 22mpg loaded. Its less expensive to buy or repair. And you can get parts just about anywhere..

Can you sail at Lopez with the water this low? SD STEVE asking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: