myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windfoiling on a Bic Techno 133?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnjames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Windfoiling on a Bic Techno 133? Reply with quote

I'm a 20+ yr windsurfer who just invested in a full wingfoil setup. I have a go foil 200 front wing w maliko tail and 26.5 mast. Wingfoiling is great, am able to stay on foil for long reaches and can almost gybe w/o touching down.

However... I have a Bic techno 133 w a deep tuttle and was wondering if it was worth buying a tuttle foil mast to attempt windfoiling since all I would need would be the mast. I have heard windfoil boards have more structure in order to not rip out fin box. also, seems like windfoilers are using longer masts, so maybe a shorter mast would be less stress on the fin box?

btw, I was talked out of windfoiling, but now that I'm wingfoiling I really miss the harness and straps.

thx for the info
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Windance Powerplate obviate the need to get a tuttle mast? It fits into deep tuttle (or other) box and provides 4 hole attachment for foil mast, can be adjusted fore and aft. Look it up at Windance. I know nothing about foils.
mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Slingshot set up. I started with the 24" mast but mainly use the 28" and 35.5". The 28" is fine as long as the water is fairly flat. If you can wing foil with your 26.5 inch mast you will probably be fine using it for windsurfing.

Using a Windance power plate with your existing Go Foil mounting plate may be a better option for 2 reasons. First it spreads the load over a larger area which should help with your existing non foil fin box. Second you have the option to move the foil plate about 2 or 3 inches forward of the fin box. Most traditional windsurf boards have the fin box a bit too far aft and the power plate would help with that issue. Windance sells a version of the power plate with a deep Tuttle insert which should work on your Bic.

The power plate only costs about $200 so it is also a more cost effective option than buying a new mast.

In the future if you want a longer mast for both winging and wind foiling you can buy one of longer Go Foil masts with a plate and still use it on both setups.

Last edited by mark on Wed May 05, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawnjames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, I had no idea about this product. you just saved me a couple hundred bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: