myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Switch out of Mauisails - who sailed them & moved onto?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfsuppp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Switch out of Mauisails - who sailed them & moved onto? Reply with quote

So I am done with maui sails as Phil is. I loved these things but its time to move on. I cant quite find I thin whatI am looking for. The Freerace are a little to balanced fore rail riding pressure and not happy to play around. The freestyle sails are to small and dont have quite enough move towards free ride. So whatcha ridden lately and if you have ridden the switches and moved onto something good bad or otherwise love to hear about it.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sail designer for Maui Sails (Barry Spanier) went over to S2 Maui sails
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Ezzy guy from way back. Even when he was working for North. If your looking for a easy to rig and ride free ride sail, look at the Cheetah. Stable fast and just fun. Sailworks Retro is another great sail. If you want a sail for bump and jump, freeride and waves, try the Zeta. I even used it for foiling for a long time. A really good do it all sail. Like any modern sail, its best to use the mast the sail was designed for to get the most out of it..
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the sails are good. Just look at good sailors on them.
I have Switch 6.0. It's good. So is my Northwave 6.0, my Neil Pryde 6.0, my Sailworks Retro 6.0, my North Pyro 6.0.
The pilot is still 90% of the equation.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy customer support is excellent. Rigging video's on all sails. If you do have a rigging and tuning issue, you can take a picture of you sail and email it to Mister Ezzy. He will review and advise on how best to rig your sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LONG time sailing bud saw me rigging my new Hurricanes recently, and said, "Oh, you're a Hurricane man now, huh?"

I responded, "Always have been a Hurricane man, but they weren't being made from 2000 until now."

When Douglas stopped making them in 2000, I asked him who makes the next best sail. "Probably Northwave", he said, reinforcing my own opinion after testing WSing gear for a magazine for years.

I really, REALLY liked my many Northwave quivers, but getting on my new and completely redesigned Hurricanes (with the same objectives enhanced by 20 more years of technology and experience) after 20 years was like ... well, sort of ... honeymooning in 1969 all over again.

I'm still married to her, I'm still a BIG Hurricane fan, and, like Northwaves and my wife, they're all Made in the U.S.A.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday foiled on 1995 North Convert in 5-18, today windsurf on same rig in 10-22. Worked great.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Switch out of Mauisails - who sailed them & moved onto? Reply with quote

surfsuppp wrote:
So I am done with maui sails as Phil is. I loved these things but its time to move on. I cant quite find I thin whatI am looking for. The Freerace are a little to balanced fore rail riding pressure and not happy to play around. The freestyle sails are to small and dont have quite enough move towards free ride. So whatcha ridden lately and if you have ridden the switches and moved onto something good bad or otherwise love to hear about it.

For Freerace I would really recommend Point-7 ACX. I used to sail cambered sails (NP, HSM, Loft) and the ACX has been a revelation. Seemingly faster on GPS, ultra stable and slippery, and enormously easier to handle on the beach, to get in and out of the water, and of course when jibing or massively overpowered. If you want cams they have the new ACZ with twin cams under the boom, all the way to the PWA ready AC1. They are quite cheap, direct from Europe, you get them in a week or so. https://point-7.com/

IMG_1818.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  381.74 KB
 Viewed:  16642 Time(s)

IMG_1818.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop blaming the sail for your lack of skill!
Any sail newer than mid '90's gives you more performance than your skills.
Yesterday I used a 1995 North Covert 5.0 in winds 12-20 mph with a 1999 Naish Freeride 95, the blue flames.
I was sailing exactly the same with my buds on 2018 and newer 2-3 cam sails and 2015 and newer slalom boards. Relative speeds, exactly the same when I use 2017 and newer sails.
The other guys, mostly my weight, or 15lbs heavier, were on 5.8 to 6.5 sails.
Stop this NEED for new gear. Any good sailor from 1995 is faster, and does more tricks than any of us.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slingshot told me the ideal foiling sail is a run-of-the-mill 1990's sail, rigged loosely. They're available free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: