myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hip Replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf wrote:
Invalid Session.
, my ass. Just print the dang post.

I've consulted several orthopedic surgeons and MANY medical websites. Their estimates of activity recovery time, if the patient performs pre- and rehab physical therapy diligently, run about 6 months for the lucky patients, a year for many others.

It's far too late in the year for me to even consider surgery before about next September, as anything later would almost certainly impact the following season not even counting rebuilding atrophied muscle.

YMMV, but I'm not counting on that. My plan is for a reality check next May 19 to see which future September gets the nod. If and when the hip frequently precludes sailing, I'll schedule the surgery ASAP.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have two people close to me who had it done. One very active prior, a windsurfer age 68, one medium active, age 62. Both back to full activity in three months with minimal pain after 2 months. PT somewhat useful after, particularly for gait analysis. Not necessary before, in either case.
Hang in there, it gets better!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to wonder what "full activity" is in their case. PLAYING tennis (or WSing in gale force winds or squatting to pick up a puppy) is quite different from watching it on TV. There's also a world of difference between being pain-free and being actually HEALED enough that it's safe to challenge our wounds.

A cancer patient told our large and very busy online forum that his treatment had no side effects or restrictions. It took a couple of years for the rest of us to get him to admit that being bedridden by fatigue 20 hours a day is not how the rest of us live.

I'm willing (and highly motivated) to blow off the provider who told me we can never WS after a hip replacement. I'm not willing to blow off the large body of literature and the highly regarded surgeons who tell me that we must not challenge a new hip that soon. I FELT like playing football a few weeks after losing my prostate and half my colon to a team of several surgeons. They made it very clear that that would guarantee a repeat of the surgery.

I waited, and I hope no one relies on ANY of what they read in this thread. There's too much at stake with that stake driven into our femur and that socket glued into our pelvis.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I suggested before, if the new metal parts are glued in, full strength is almost immediate except for the soft tissue healing. But longevity can be an issue. At the Dr's recommendation, mine didn't involve glue but it took a year for the bone to grow fully around the inserts and then I was able to get back to building full strength and doing as I wish. Windsurfing, skiing, etc. Assuming the anterior technique there is minimal soft tissue disruption and damage.

I didn't windsurf for a year, but I did get back to golf within 3 months. There were a few bumps in the road - pain, but that was because I did too much on occasion. Now - Like new. And no physical therapy suggested or needed.
ronm41

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you are overthinking this. Sure there is a million what ifs but the bottomline is if your hip joint is worn out and limiting your activity then at some point you fix it or quit. My wife's hip story is on the front page, that would be a typical story and outcome for strong motivated people. If you had a hip replacement with the latest procedures, you would be looking at a couple of months of limited work and then full speed ahead...............
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one build strength without PT?

I've had two (R and L, a year apart)open hernia repairs. Same surgeon, same process. First time I asked him what I could do before and after the surgery to enhance my recovery.

"Nothing. I'm all you need".

Fugging Idiot. If it were that simple, look at all the man-eons millions of people have wasted in the gym. It was weeks before I could get around comfortably, and more weeks before it felt safe to play hard.

Fast forward a year. Same doc, same procedure, same body, other side, but smarter patient. Lots of prehab, MUCH earlier rehab, and within a week I was climbing hillsides requiring both hands and feet and hiking for miles in extreme terrain.

Arrogant bastard.

Anecdotal, of course, but research validates prehab and rehab. My knee surgeon said he wouldn't even consider repairing my knee until three months of intense, often painful, 8-hours-a-day prehab repaired most of the collateral damage. A bud with the same injury went straight to surgery with a different surgeon, and has paid a mobility price ever since. I once had a short cast on a knee to keep it straight ... just keep it straight, no other limitations ... for three weeks. I used it, played on it, worked it fairly hard, and was in my 20s. When the cast came off, the atrophy was so bad that leg resembled an arm. Ain't no knife gonna fix that.

Any surgeon who tells me that stitches are all my muscles and tendons need to regain fitness is an idiot.

techno900 wrote:
it took a year for the bone to grow fully around the inserts and then I was able to get back to building full strength ... Now - Like new. And no physical therapy suggested or needed.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two (R and L, a year apart)open hernia repairs. Same surgeon, same process. First time I asked him what I could do before and after the surgery to enhance my recovery.

Fugging Idiot. If it were that simple, look at all the man-eons millions of people have wasted in the gym. It was weeks before I could get around comfortably, and more weeks before it felt safe to play hard.

Fast forward a year. Same doc, same procedure, same body, other side, but smarter patient. Lots of prehab, MUCH earlier rehab, and within a week I was climbing hillsides requiring both hands and feet and hiking for miles in extreme terrain.

Arrogant bastard.

Anecdotal, of course, but research validates prehab and rehab. My knee surgeon said he wouldn't even consider repairing my knee until three months of intense, often painful, 8-hours-a-day prehab repaired most of the collateral damage. A bud with the same injury went straight to surgery with a different surgeon, and has paid a mobility price ever since. I once had a short cast on a knee to keep it straight ... just keep it straight, no other limitations ... for three weeks. I used it, played on it, worked it fairly hard, and was in my 20s. When the cast came off, the atrophy was so bad that leg resembled an arm. Ain't no knife gonna fix that.

Any surgeon who tells me that stitches are all my muscles and tendons need to regain fitness is an idiot.

techno900 wrote:
it took a year for the bone to grow fully around the inserts and then I was able to get back to building full strength ... Now - Like new. And no physical therapy suggested or needed.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrogant bastard.

techno900 wrote:
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrogant bastard.

techno900 wrote:
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU fix it, iW. I'm fed up with cleaning up your software bugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: