myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
great how too foil video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: great how too foil video Reply with quote

Go to you tube and type in top windsurf foiling tips you haven heard.
Great info on modern foiling with small sails and small narrow boards.
The tip on turns near the end is really good. Sorry I tried to attach link with no luck..
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7aw7LE1LzY
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. I tried to paste that but had no luck
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: great how too foil video Reply with quote

These are just info-mercials, like so many we have seen. Now we are at round two: try to sell the new toys telling you how much greater and easier they are than the ones they sold six months ago. And to do so they show a pro-level sailors going around in circles ...

Frankly, they are out of their minds if they think that this kind of equipment is of any use to a beginner ...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and cars from the 70's are just as good as today's.
You seem quite negative on most of your posts. If that works for you then so be it. I try to be honest an positive because that is the way I was brought up.
The progression of foiling in a very short time, has come a long way. With gear and sailing skills. I didn't suggest this video to encourage any beginner to get this type of gear. I did it mostly about the excellent tips on foiling turns. And to see whats possible on the new smaller gear. You don't need to be a pro to foil like these folks. You do need to put in the effort to become skilled.
Also I thought what what these folks can do on a foil was inspiring.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN, I enjoyed the video, and agree that it's interesting to see how someone can make foiling look so smooth and effortless. However, it also reinforced one of the aspects of foiling which has discouraged me and others from getting in thus far. I'm 6'3", 205-210lbs. The prospect of being far from shore in lighter winds, with a smaller sail than I would otherwise use concerns me greatly. The video shows a clearly accomplished sailor take more than two minutes to get onto the board. I can imagine how exhausting that could become for less skilled, perhaps larger sailors falling more frequently. I'm all for trying something new, but it has to be at least as enjoyable as my current sailing, and has to be safe.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windfoil favors big guys.
Notice that DvCali and I are 70 kilos, which allows windsurfing 140+ days a year near San Francisco.
Foil also benefits light wind spots. The foil presents extra lift, and you mostly use 1.5 to 2 meters smaller sails to get going.
Foil also starts with big floaty boards. For 80% of my 38 years of windsurfing, the biggest board I've owned was 109 liters. At least 6 of my windsurfing years, my biggest board was 90 liters. In SF Bay, if I was willing to drive 20 miles, I could use boards smaller than 85 liters about 140 days a year.
Now, I know it's not the same for you. You would start windfoil on a 150+ liter board. That floats you home.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for sail sizes.....
Past 2 months, I am foiling on 4.5 sail while my buds who are LIGHTER than me need 6.0 to 7.3 meter sails. And I foil more often than they plane. Similar skills.
Windsurfing is faster by app. 5-10 mph, when everyone is powered.
Foiling allows much higher upwind angles, similar to Formula, but 4 meter smaller sails.
If you wish for more wind, foiling gives you that. If you are satisfied with the # of windy days you get, don't change.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Yep and cars from the 70's are just as good as today's.
You seem quite negative on most of your posts. If that works for you then so be it. I try to be honest an positive because that is the way I was brought up.
The progression of foiling in a very short time, has come a long way. With gear and sailing skills. I didn't suggest this video to encourage any beginner to get this type of gear. I did it mostly about the excellent tips on foiling turns. And to see whats possible on the new smaller gear. You don't need to be a pro to foil like these folks. You do need to put in the effort to become skilled.
Also I thought what what these folks can do on a foil was inspiring.

NOVAAN. foiling is great. But to keep claiming that it is easy to learn is misleading for newcomers. Maybe it is easy on a lake with steady 12 knots of wind.I do not know, but it is not so where I live. there might be other factors involved (people seem to be obsessed with new toys), but I can count on one hand the people around here who are still using a wind foil after the surge of a couple of years ago. The few left are doing great. A friend of mine, at 200 pounds, is out having fun with a 3.9 when I am on 5.4 at 155 pounds. It did take him 3 years to jibe without touching down, and he still cannot jibe his foil racing equipment.

As far as the skill involved in that video, well ... the guy is associated with slingshot. And to be honest I have never seen anybody in the Bay area sailing with that level of freeriding skill.

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
As for sail sizes.....
Past 2 months, I am foiling on 4.5 sail while my buds who are LIGHTER than me need 6.0 to 7.3 meter sails. And I foil more often than they plane. Similar skills............... If you are satisfied with the # of windy days you get, don't change.

Thanks for the advice, and I don't dispute for a moment that higher speeds can be obtained in lighter winds sails on a foil. As a keen follower of SailGP and Americas Cup, I see the amazing speeds that those boats achieve in light winds. But I think that your final sentence is probably spot on. I live part time on the Outer Banks where we get a fair amount of wind most of the year. I'd certainly like to get out more, but those extra days may not justify the effort/ additional risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: